PDA

View Full Version : Light feet??

jpro
04-19-2010, 20:38
During my first three pool sessions I've had problems keeping my legs below me. When in the shallow end, sitting on the bottom for some exercises, my legs tend to rise, and it's very distracting... I'm 6'1", about 200 pounds, and have been wearing a 3mm shorty, but the booties I use with my fins seem too buoyant.

I would appreciate any comments of similar experiences and what others have done to compensate.

Ankle weights?

ScubaToys Larry
04-19-2010, 21:04
Don't sweat it... It's basic new diver clutzy... When you get more tuned in to your comfort level in the water, you will find things get better. You actually want to have your feet a bit light vs heavy for a better position in the water... Just give it some time...

Vlane
04-19-2010, 21:59
Want to trade feet, I'm always feet heavy. Like Larry said it'll take a few dives to get things figured out and starting getting your buoyancy down. If you still have problems with your feet floating you can try positioning your tank lower down on your BC or put trim weight pockets on your bottom cam band. I would say being feet floaty is easier to fix than being feet heavy so don't be discouraged.

jpro
04-20-2010, 06:23
Thanks to both of you. As you suggest, I'll wait and see how it goes as my overall skill level improves.

scubadiver888
04-20-2010, 09:06
Thanks to both of you. As you suggest, I'll wait and see how it goes as my overall skill level improves.

I remember it took around 20 dives before I really feel I could know what was me and what was my gear setup.

Which shop are you diving with? You should talk to your instructor or other club members and see if they can give some tips. I only know of one shop out in the Kitchener area, Tri City Scuba (http://www.scubacentre.ca/). I've seen them at the dive sites we use for student training. They seem pretty competent, if you aren't happy with the shop you are at.

jpro
04-20-2010, 14:57

I remember it took around 20 dives before I really feel I could know what was me and what was my gear setup.

Which shop are you diving with? You should talk to your instructor or other club members and see if they can give some tips. I only know of one shop out in the Kitchener area, Tri City Scuba (http://www.scubacentre.ca/). I've seen them at the dive sites we use for student training. They seem pretty competent, if you aren't happy with the shop you are at.
The twin cities, Kitchener-Waterloo, actually support four dive shops that I'm aware of (three in Kitchener, one in Waterloo). I'm actually quite happy with the shop with which I'm certifying - my work schedule makes attending classes difficult, and they've been very accommodating with scheduling private lessons.

rongoodman
04-21-2010, 05:33
Since having your feet up is the starting position for the frog kick, as well as back kick and helicopter turns, I'd rather have your light feet than my heavy ones.

UCFKnightDiver
04-21-2010, 11:27
As long as you're not head heavy, I don't see the problem.

dkh6070
04-21-2010, 11:43
What is recommended for heavy feet? I have spoken to a few people with teh Avanti Quatro fins and they all said it is neg bouyant for them as well. On drift dives my feet will slowly pull me vertical. I tried moving weight around but nothing seems to help.

UCFKnightDiver
04-21-2010, 11:51
What is recommended for heavy feet? I have spoken to a few people with teh Avanti Quatro fins and they all said it is neg bouyant for them as well. On drift dives my feet will slowly pull me vertical. I tried moving weight around but nothing seems to help.

- Move weight up front towards your head

- Squeeze the buttocks (your hamstrings a glutes) to bring the knees and hips up. To figure out what this feels like, stand on one leg with the other leg bent straight back at the knee parallel to the floor. Then stand straight and push that knee back even more, so it's in line with the body (the thight to knee should be inline with the other leg or farther back if you're flexible). Hip flexor streches can help you get more of the mobility you want if you're not real flexible
- Arch your back (don't over do it though.)
- Think about making the portion of your body from your head to your knees as long as possible
(Certain things work for certain people.)

- Think of your fins as a weight at the end of a lever, move your feet more towards the body by bending at the knee if you're real feet down, also you can bring your arms which might be closer to your body out in a superman like position. A frog kick works the best with bent knees so you may want to learn how to do one if you don't already know. It's my primary kick and is a great cruising kick.

- It also helps to try these positions lying down on a picnic table, just to get the feel for things.

dkh6070
04-21-2010, 13:18

- Move weight up front towards your head

- Squeeze the buttocks (your hamstrings a glutes) to bring the knees and hips up. To figure out what this feels like, stand on one leg with the other leg bent back at the knee. Then stand straight and push that knee back even more, so it's in line with the body.
- Arch your back (don't over do it though.)
- Think about making the portion of your body from your head to your knees as long as possible
(Certain things work for certain people.)

- Think of your fins as a weight at the end of a lever, move your feet more towards the body by bending at the knee if you're real feet down, also you can bring your arms which might be way out in front a little closer to your body as well. A frog kick works the best with bent knees so you may want to learn how to do one if you don't already know. It's my primary kick and is a great cruising kick.

Thanks Rox, I will try those techniques in a couple of weeks in the keys.

UCFKnightDiver
04-21-2010, 13:34
I edited my post a little more, I had something in there that I felt was incorrect so go back and take a look.

DevilDiver
04-21-2010, 14:18
YouTube - Gaining Horizontal Trim (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btgcJXUNCY0&feature=related)

scubadiver888
04-21-2010, 18:04

Are you using open heel fins? If no, get open heel fins with neoprene boots. If yes, what thickness boots are you using? If you have 3mm neoprene, try 5mm or even 7mm.

dkh6070
04-22-2010, 08:49
Are you using open heel fins? If no, get open heel fins with neoprene boots. If yes, what thickness boots are you using? If you have 3mm neoprene, try 5mm or even 7mm.

I have open heel with 3 mil booties. That's a good idea because it is not extreme enough to buy new fins but enough that I have to stay conscience of keeping my feet up if I'm drift diving and not swimming much. I like to remain motionless and cruise with the current. Thanks SD :smiley20:

YouTube - Gaining Horizontal Trim (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btgcJXUNCY0&feature=related)

Nice video. I will practice that. Maybe that will be enough to control it. I will definately practice that technique. Thanks DD :smiley20: