PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic VT3

mulefeathers
04-20-2010, 13:52
How much would you sell an Oceanic VT3 with transmitter and USB cable? Condition is excellent has 26 dives on the computer 13 of which were done by the potential new owner last year when borrowed the setup to go to Cozumel.

skdvr
04-20-2010, 14:03
I would say around $650 or so. You can get a new one with transmitter for around $750. You would save your self $100, which is pretty nice since you have put half the dives on it...

Phil

mulefeathers
04-20-2010, 14:26
Thanks. I think I paid right at $1000 for unit but like you said I did put half the dives on it. I think $650 sounds fair. That is what I will tell her.

rayaa3
04-20-2010, 14:31
From the prospective of a buyer: Generally if I buy used, without a warranty on a forum, I expect to pay 70% of what I could get it new retail for (assuming it will have a warranty new).

If buying used from a shop, and they will give a shop warranty of a year, then price goes up. (ST sometimes sells Demo with a shop warranty of a year or two)

So, that being said...

ST has the computer with transmitter for 750 - %10 forum member discount = 675 new

675 * .70 = ~470 - so $475 is what I would expect to sell it for in a forum. If condition was exceptionally good (like new) I might expect $500. Likewise excessive wear might drive it down to $450.

That being said, those are the numbers I use for internet forum purchases, and sales. When you buy on a forum, you take a leap of faith on condition and reputation of the buyer/seller. If you are buying or selling from a personal 'real world' contact, things change. Particularly if a buyer were able to use the item in the water before buying it. That's a heck of a luxury in a used market, so for me 600 would seem to be much more fair in your situation. Plus, in your situation, as a seller, you could likely provide the original reciept, so they might even get the original warranty...which might drive the price up to 625.

mulefeathers
04-20-2010, 14:40
Well the buyer has used the unit. Put 13 dives on it and she is my sister. I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing selling to a family member.

skdvr
04-20-2010, 14:45
Oh well I did not know it was your sister. So then I would sell it to my sister for $1200 :smiley2:.

It is a nice computer and with only 26 dives on it half of which was done by her I think that the $650 would be fair.

Phil

rayaa3
04-20-2010, 14:57
oh yeah, in that sitation, 650 is quite fair.

If it has a problem and is still under warranty she'll just call you up and have you take it where you bought it. While it's getting fixed she'll borrow your current dive computer (naturally).

In my mind, the warranty is the biggest draw back to used gear purchase. Since this negates that factor, I think you are more than fair at 650.

Boy I've posted to this thread twice. I must REALLY be avoiding my actual job right now.

Soonerwink
04-21-2010, 19:57
We had a member of our dive club sell one with fewer dives than that for 450.00.

skdvr
04-22-2010, 06:15
We had a member of our dive club sell one with fewer dives than that for 450.00.

With the transmitter???

If so that is a great deal...

Phil

LeeParrish
04-22-2010, 09:14

With the transmitter???

Phil

I looked into it and probably should have bought it. It was essentially brand new and had never seen water. But the circumstances didn't give me a lot of confidence in spending the $450. The seller had bought it from a dealer that went out of business, and didn't get a receipt to show the date of sale as it was some sort of settlement from the shop since they closed before his order was completed. So I had doubts about even being able to send it back to Oceanic direct if there were any problems. And worst yet, the seller was selling it in Feb and lived about 1 1/2 hours away, so between the distance and time of year it wasn't very easy to take it out and give it a trial dive. I'd probably have felt better if it had been at least used once just to make sure there weren't any problems with it. I know that no matter how remote the chance of problems they will happen to me, I seem to be a magnet for Murphy's law :smiley36:...

So I let it go, and instead bought a new Oceanic Geo with download cable from ST for ~ $275 total. It's not air integrated, but still $175 cheaper and with a full warrantee.

Flatliner
04-22-2010, 10:16
I am with the majority in that the $650 under the circumstnces seems more than fair. If I was looking for one myself, I wouldn't pay more than about $500 probably less as I am really stingy.

Soonerwink
04-22-2010, 20:31

With the transmitter???

Phil
With transmitter and download cable.

joemamma
06-13-2010, 15:43
I would have jumped on that deal! I love my VT3, it's worth the full retail price I paid, but if I could have got it that cheap, why not?