PDA

View Full Version : Finished Aow last weekend

mrmccoy
04-23-2010, 08:47
I finished my aow last weekend and I have to say I learned a lot! I took it with a naui instructor and it ended up being a one on one class. I did fish id, search and recovery and the deep, nav. and night dives.

My favorite was the night dive! Luminescence was crazy to see, we turned our lights out for a little while and that was
so cool to see. On top of everything we did a shore dive on a jetty while the tide was going out so I got some crazy current dives in.

I also learned the basics of lift bags and got to lift a few things.
We only got to make a 70fsw dive because the boat we were on had some issues and a few fresh open water divers.

My main reason for taking the class was because I did not have a dive buddy and figured I could use a little refresher on compass work. The last time I used a compass was in boy scouts which has been a few year ago.
I think it was well worth the money!

skdvr
04-23-2010, 09:05
Congrats. Glad to hear that you had a good time and learned some new things. Continue to learn and one day you will be as good as me:smiley20: :smilie39: :smiley2:... JK

Phil

WaScubaDude
04-23-2010, 11:41
Congrats indeed! Does this mean you need to adjust your dive count??
My AOW is now 30 years old! I dont feel that old. Many many great dives ahead for you. Are you planning to do rescue or just a bunch of diving from here?

mrmccoy
04-23-2010, 12:36
Congrats indeed! Does this mean you need to adjust your dive count??
My AOW is now 30 years old! I dont feel that old. Many many great dives ahead for you. Are you planning to do rescue or just a bunch of diving from here?

I will have to look at my log book.......I think I have a few more before breaking 25.
I would like to do rescue and there is a class coming up in may at my lds.

fire diver
04-23-2010, 12:38
Glad to hear that you had a good class and learned some new things. Many AOWs (mine included) were all but worthless. I'm glad there are some good instructors still out there.

FlickaDaFin
04-23-2010, 23:01
Grats to you!

navyhmc
04-24-2010, 01:39
Congrats on the milestone and the dives. Now go out and have more fun!

scubadiver888
04-24-2010, 07:52
I finished my aow last weekend and I have to say I learned a lot! I took it with a naui instructor and it ended up being a one on one class. I did fish id, search and recovery and the deep, nav. and night dives.

My favorite was the night dive! Luminescence was crazy to see, we turned our lights out for a little while and that was
so cool to see. On top of everything we did a shore dive on a jetty while the tide was going out so I got some crazy current dives in.

I also learned the basics of lift bags and got to lift a few things.
We only got to make a 70fsw dive because the boat we were on had some issues and a few fresh open water divers.

My main reason for taking the class was because I did not have a dive buddy and figured I could use a little refresher on compass work. The last time I used a compass was in boy scouts which has been a few year ago.
I think it was well worth the money!

Got to love when a class turns into a one-on-one. My AOW worked out the same way. They originally planned for a half dozen students but most of them backed out at the last minute. I still remember asking who my buddy was going to be and my instructor telling me she'd be my buddy because I was the only student. SWEET.

In my area there are so many skills you NEED to have to be a safe diver that we didn't get to do Search and Recovery. I really wanted a little practice with that.

Once I finish my DM I'll try to get some of the instructors to unofficially teach me everything they know. :smiley36:

TIP: most dive lights fail when you turn them on. Rather than turn off your light underwater, it is safer to hold it against your body and leave it on. Less risk of the bulb failing. I don't think it applies to newer LED lights.