PDA

View Full Version : Tank advice

mitchy
04-25-2010, 16:22
Found an AL80 for a good price on kijiji. Phoned the guy, who informed me the tank was last used 4 years ago. Said at that time he let all the air out of it so it wouldn't be stored under pressure. Is this a problem? Hoping for a little advice before I drive hour plus to look at it.

skdvr
04-25-2010, 16:29
Probably not a huge deal, but it would have been better with air in it. Since there is no air in it pull the valve from it and take a look inside of it. If there is a TON of white powder in it, it could be iffy. An hour drive could be a bit out there for an 80, but if it is a good price then I say go for it. Hopefully you can do something else while you are there to make the trip a little more worth it...

Phil

comet24
04-25-2010, 16:37
It's going to need a hydro and VIP. I wouldn't drive an hour for a Al80 that needed that no matter what the price.

As long as it was stored inside it's likely fine on the inside though.

cmburch
04-25-2010, 16:43
All my tanks have air in them. I would suspect an empty tank. Will require a visual inspection and probably hydro. Include these costs. Best to meet at a dive shop with seller, so they can check tank and give estimate of costs.

jbres1
04-25-2010, 17:23
Most likely the tank without any pressure in it will be fine.
As other posters have stated, remove the valve and look inside the cylinder with a flashlight.
Other things you want to look at are:
Original hydro date- stay away from anything before 1990
Outside condition of cylinder- look for dings and dents, also roll the cylinder to see if it is true ( no bumps or not out of round )
Tank threads- look at the threads to check for any cracks or bad threads.
Valve- check the o-ring area for dents or marks

A hydro will cost you between $15.00 and $40.00 us, a Vis will be in the range of $15.00 to $25.00 us.

Factor all of these things into your purchase price. A new cylinder can be had for about $150.00 us with a good hydro and vis.

Good luck, Jim Breslin

mitchy
04-25-2010, 17:29
Thanks for the advice.

vegas911diver
04-25-2010, 19:12
When you pull the valve off, turn the tank upside down over a white piece of paper and tap it with a rubber mallet. Look to see if anything is on the paper. Also look to see if the is any corrsion on the threads. That could be a sign of dissimilar metals bonding.

scubadiver888
04-25-2010, 19:53
Found an AL80 for a good price on kijiji. Phoned the guy, who informed me the tank was last used 4 years ago. Said at that time he let all the air out of it so it wouldn't be stored under pressure. Is this a problem? Hoping for a little advice before I drive hour plus to look at it.

First, a LOT of people selling cylinders in southern Ontario used them for paintball. The quality of the air that went in these cylinders is questionable. Scuba shops will filter out moisture but the places filling cylinders for paintball don't care if there is a little moisture in the cylinder mainly because it is not being used for breathing but to charge paintball guns.

The fact that they drained the cylinder makes me wonder if they are a scuba diver. No one I know would drain the cylinder completely. They might drain it down to a few hundred PSI but they wouldn't drain it completely.

Second, there are some AL80s that no scuba shop will fill. Check out this (http://www.happydivers.ca/equipment/tanks/tanks.shtml) page for details. You will find people on scuba boards who say it is fine to fill these cylinders but the people who own the full stations are who matter and I don't know anyone in southern Ontario who will fill them. You could be buying some scrap aluminum.

Third, it will definitely need a visual and hydro ($45). It might need a tumbling ($30) and if you are going to use it with Nitrox most shops in Ontario do partial pressure blending so your cylinder needs to be O2 clean ($35 for the cylinder and $25 for the valve but that includes a full overhaul, e.g. o-rings and burst disc).

So even if the cylinders is not used for paintball, corroded, etc. you still might end up paying $135 plus tax to get it to a usable state. You can buy a brand new AL80 for $199. If you pay $65 for the cylinder then have to pay $135 to get it to usable, you might as well buy a new cylinder.

Bottom line, if you can be sure it is not scrap metal it might be worth $50.

UCFKnightDiver
04-26-2010, 07:17
I seriously doubt it's all that corroded, I have also gotten tanks from divers that were empty so it's not that unlikely. Actually I have gotten tanks from 2 different divers that were empty.

josh7284
05-02-2010, 18:10
As in storing his tank and emptying it does this mean that he went diving and just breathed all his air out or does this mean that he somehow manually released all the pressure?

Scuba Pete
05-06-2010, 14:47
I got some steel tanks that were sitting empty with valves off for a year before I got them. They are fine. I wouldnt worry too much about an Al 80.