PDA

View Full Version : tank weight difference

Hollywood703
09-06-2007, 10:15
I purchased a x8-119 and have yet to dive with it and am set to go on a wreck dive this weekend, but weather isnt going to let me dive before it. I am use to diving AL80's and need to know how much weight to remove approximately.....I have never dove with a steel tank before....It shows to be steel tank -10.9 lbs bouyant when full, -2 when empty and the AL80 -2 full and +4 when empty. No other gear to be changed. I normally wear 18 lbs (drysuit with thermals), so im guessing i will be able to drop to 12 lbs with only the tank being the difference.........Just making sure I am not missing something.......Since this is a charter, I dont want to be in the water doing weight checks for a prolonged period.

MEL-DC Diver
09-06-2007, 10:46
I am going to agree with you. Bring some additional weight with you so you're covered - maybe some small 1 and 2 pounders so you can re-distribute and trim out effectively if you find you have to.

ianr33
09-06-2007, 10:53
Agree with your numbers although on a first dive I might only drop 4 pounds.Better to be slightly heavy than too light.

Also be aware that the new tank may affect your trim. Al tanks get floaty on the tail when empty.Assuming the weight is coming off a weight belt though the difference in trim will probably not be much. (Bottom of tank is heavier,offset by reduced weight on waist)

skdvr
09-06-2007, 11:38
The weight is the weight. You should be able to drop 6 lbs no prob going from an al80 to x8 119. I dive the X8 130 which is also -2 empty and I droped 6 lbs and it was just right. The only thing that felt wierd for me when I switched from Al to Steel is that at the begining of the dive you are going to be real heavy so do not just dump all the air out of the bladder because you will start picking up speed as you descend, and you will notice the Neg weight of the tank if you try rolling to one side. You will get use to it quickly and it will be no big deal. Enjoy... and welcome to steel tanks...

Phil

Hollywood703
09-06-2007, 11:55
thanks all....i figured 6 was a good starting #, i dive a bit heavy to begin with so a full 6 should be good. thanks

ianr33
09-06-2007, 11:57
The weight is the weight. You should be able to drop 6 lbs no prob going from an al80 to x8 119. I dive the X8 130 which is also -2 empty and I droped 6 lbs and it was just right.
Phil

I dont disagree with any of that,just saying that when diving a new setup for the first time I would prefer to be slightly heavy,then do the fine tuning on subsequent dives.
Is there any variation between individual tanks? Will his trim be different, maybe holding more air in the drysuit? Who knows?
4 pounds heavy is less of a problem than 1 pound light IMHO.

EDIT:

thanks all....i figured 6 was a good starting #, i dive a bit heavy to begin with so a full 6 should be good. thanks

Well in that case 6 pounds sounds fine ! Have Fun

keyshunter
09-06-2007, 11:59
I purchased a x8-119 and have yet to dive with it and am set to go on a wreck dive this weekend, but weather isnt going to let me dive before it. I am use to diving AL80's and need to know how much weight to remove approximately.....I have never dove with a steel tank before....It shows to be steel tank -10.9 lbs bouyant when full, -2 when empty and the AL80 -2 full and +4 when empty. No other gear to be changed. I normally wear 18 lbs (drysuit with thermals), so im guessing i will be able to drop to 12 lbs with only the tank being the difference.........Just making sure I am not missing something.......Since this is a charter, I dont want to be in the water doing weight checks for a prolonged period.

With my 119's, which are PST, I drop 8 lbs when going from Al 80 with same gear other than tank.