PDA

View Full Version : Recoomedations for FLA gulf coast

JFine
09-06-2007, 10:42
Folks --

My mom lives in the West Palm beach/Ft. Lauderdale area -- and I'll be heading down there this fall for some diving. I've dived the Atlantic coast there a bit, but wanted to know if anyone had recommendations for sites not to far north or south of there on the Gulf coast side.

Bill22
09-06-2007, 11:08
Folks --

My mom lives in the West Palm beach/Ft. Lauderdale area -- and I'll be heading down there this fall for some diving. I've dived the Atlantic coast there a bit, but wanted to know if anyone had recommendations for sites not to far north or south of there on the Gulf coast side.

If it was me, I'd head down to the Keys. I used to make the drive from Orlando and you're much closer. It's maybe 80-90 miles to Key Largo from Ft Lauderdale. It's close enough that you could get up early, go down, do two-three tanks, and come home in the same day.

I've heard the Dry Tortugas has some good diving also, but never went diving there.

JFine
09-06-2007, 16:12
Folks --

If it was me, I'd head down to the Keys. I used to make the drive from Orlando and you're much closer. It's maybe 80-90 miles to Key Largo from Ft Lauderdale. It's close enough that you could get up early, go down, do two-three tanks, and come home in the same day.

I've heard the Dry Tortugas has some good diving also, but never went diving there.

Thanks ... I was thinking of heading down there for a day. I'd really appreciate any recommendations for dive charters around Key Largo -- which ones are good, which ones not so good?

NitroWill
09-06-2007, 16:35
Id recommend silent world..

conch republic is another good setup too..

Bill22
09-06-2007, 18:07
Thanks ... I was thinking of heading down there for a day. I'd really appreciate any recommendations for dive charters around Key Largo -- which ones are good, which ones not so good?

I went diving with Captain Slate back in the 80's. He's still there :-) He was a really good guy. The first time I went diving with him, my buddy and I decided late on a Friday night to go diving. We threw all the gear in the car and drove to Key Largo from Orlando. Slept in the parking lot of the dive shop (the kind of things you do when you're young ;-)). He took us out to Pennekamp the next morning despite we being the only two divers! He definitely earned my business after that day. Here's a website address: http://captainslate.com/CaptainSlate/index.php