PDA

View Full Version : st croix

longtailbda
04-26-2010, 19:16
We were finely able to dive Hams Bluff and the new mooring at Sea Mount.

Hams Bluff is a great surge dive on a calm day nice waves and we could coast on the surge just inches from the wall.

It's almost a shame that they've placed a mooring at Sea Mount it's still spectacular and I'm afraid that with the mooring replaced some of the divers we've all seen will damage the area. The one saving grace is that the area usually has a ripping current and is really not suitable for beginners.

The other problem that we found on Sea Mount was the dreaded Lion Fish.

Cody and the folks at Cane Bay were great. They even arranged a downpour and a clogged downspout so that we could rinse off after our dives one afternoon. :smiley2:

We only managed 13 dives this week but we'll be back shortly.

Rorschach
04-26-2010, 19:49
Thanks for the brief report - looking forward to more details when available.

We're wondering about diving the seamount from shore near 2dive4. We'll see what the weather has instore when we arrive on Saturday.

From the neck up, I'm already halfway there!

mitsuguy
04-27-2010, 05:49
Thanks for the brief report - looking forward to more details when available.

We're wondering about diving the seamount from shore near 2dive4. We'll see what the weather has instore when we arrive on Saturday.

From the neck up, I'm already halfway there!

It's pretty much 1400 feet from 2dive4 to the buoy for Sea Mount... Thats not terrible, but, the current at Sea Mount can rip through there because it is around the point where the current changes and the water moves... Its not always like that, but there is no way tell...

I'd write more, but, its time to go to work :)

longtailbda
04-27-2010, 07:16
I'd write more, but, its time to go to work :)

Work!!:smiley_evilGrin: Is that what your calling it now?!

navyhmc
04-27-2010, 18:48
Given Mitsu's job and his effort to get there, I will defy him to prove it's work! akin to the saying "Do a job you love and you'll never work a day" :smiley36:

mitsuguy
04-27-2010, 18:59
So, today, I didn't get to dive... Someone had to work at our retail shop @ the Carambola resort...

So, I sat and played on the computer all day and watched the waves come up the beach...

Rorschach
04-27-2010, 19:08
I pushed a lot of electrons today too, but it was good design review comments to get out of my virtual hands before we fly down on Saturday.

I didn't have a view of Caribbean waves breaking on a sandy beach with all the scenic wildlife that attracts to watch all day:smiley2:, but Southern Bald Eagles are becoming increasingly abundant here. There's a nesting pair in the woods behind our property and a loner nicknamed 'Bubba' by the folks at work that hangs around the refinery we work at.

We'll see if we can help get you diving more once we're on-island Cody. We'd definitely appreciate recent local advice on the 'back yard' dives since they all appear to require ending the dive swimming agaiinst the prevailing current.

2Dive4 - Luxury St. Croix Villa Rental and Diving | St. Croix Villas | St. Croix Vacations - 2Dive4 Backyard Dive Map (http://2dive4.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=52)

longtailbda
04-28-2010, 10:34
So, today, I didn't get to dive... Someone had to work at our retail shop @ the Carambola resort...

So, I sat and played on the computer all day and watched the waves come up the beach...

Sorry Cody I 've seen the shop your right it was work. It wouldn't be so bad if you at least got wet.

cruzan
04-28-2010, 17:23
Sorry Cody but I can't feel bad for you. I work in a basement with no windows in a cubicle 5' x 5' with just my computer wallpaper picture from STX to keep me happy.

For the rest of you, I'm longtailbda's other half. We did have a great trip and some fantastic dives. We had another couple with us that had never been there before and it was great to be able to share some wonderful dives with them. We did both a day and night dive at the Pier.

The night dive was just the 4 of us. We were down about 70 minutes and saw a couple juvenile spotted drums, a stingray, an octopus, 2 cowfish, angel fish, segmented sea slug and tons of macro life. Unfortunately we never saw the very large green moray that is usually there.

I have to agree with my other half that seamount is one of those dives that when you get to the surface you say WOW!!! It was awesome and pictures just don't do it justice. I'm so glad that the conditions were in our favor and we didn't have to deal with the heavy current that is so common there.

We also did Salt River west and east. They are 2 dives that are very close to each other but yet so different. SR west has great structure with lots of mushroom coral and cuts, while SR east has lots of color. We had done these dives in Oct 2009 and wanted to share them with our friends.

We also did several shore dives including Cane Bay itself. One of our friends said that was her favorite dive, but she was not able to clear her ear at seamount, so that might have changed things. But I do agree that it is a great dive. I did my OW dives there and it never seems to get old, there is just so much to see.

Rorschach I'm jealous that I'm not the one headed there this Saturday, but we will be back for 2 1/2 weeks in October. Please tell Greg, Mel, Shannon, Ryan and D that we say hi...and keep them on their toes...especially Cody.

Rorschach
04-30-2010, 18:08
We're down to less than 11 hours until wheels-up at New Orleans, we'll post a trip report some time after we return once my wife has the opportunity to get her photos the way she likes them prior to public viewing.

Man - it seemed like the last 2 weeks were crawling by to get to this pont!