PDA

View Full Version : USS Oriskanny

bent
04-26-2010, 20:43
I am supposed to dive the USS Oriskany this summer, so I hope the oil spill in the Gulf doesn't keep going until it ruins things. It is spilling 40,000 gallons of oil a day. It is currently getting close to the islands just off the coast of Louisiana. Dang fossil fuels.:smiley21:

Bigg_Budd
04-26-2010, 21:06
that sucks. i'm supposed to dive the destin area in july. i'm gonna be pissed if this fouls that up.

the oriskanny is a huge dive, dude. i did it in 2008. epic, but i totally almost died. no lie. have fun...

Vlane
04-26-2010, 23:17
that sucks. i'm supposed to dive the destin area in july. i'm gonna be pissed if this fouls that up.

the oriskanny is a huge dive, dude. i did it in 2008. epic, but i totally almost died. no lie. have fun...
Bigg with a statement like that you can't leave us hanging.

Bigg_Budd
04-26-2010, 23:50
we came up on the wrong mooring line on dive 1. viz sucked, but i was able to find the down line. had to sprint ~60 feet in the strongest current i've ever dealt with. barely made it to the line. i made it to the line first, had to pull my buddy in (he was gassed).

if we hadn't made it to the downline, we would have drifted on our safety stop. we'd been so deep (136 fsw) we couldn't do a ESA. in that current, we'd have been 6 miles from the boat by the time we surfaced.

the first thing i did after that dive was buy a bag and a reel.

i downplayed it in the report, probably because i posted the day after, and was in a bit of denial. read it here: http://forum.scubatoys.com/trips-travel/15155-oriskany-trip-report.html

bent
04-26-2010, 23:51

I know what you mean. I already booked a room and made plans, so I may be in for a crude awakening if the petro keeps flowing. They haven't found a cork big enough to plug it yet.

What happened? Equipment failure? :smiley_thinking:

Bigg_Budd
04-26-2010, 23:53
What happened? Equipment failure? :smiley_thinking:

just know which mooring line you came down. it gets really confusing, cuz they are literally all over the wreck.

bent
04-26-2010, 23:58
Ahh, you posted before I got done typing. I'll pay attention to the lines when I'm there.

Scuba Pete
04-27-2010, 08:30
You could possibly use a personal marker on the mooring line. A simple clothes pin with your initials will do. Unless of course the line is too thick then you may have to get a really large clothes pin.

Rileybri
04-27-2010, 08:41
You could possibly use a personal marker on the mooring line. A simple clothes pin with your initials will do. Unless of course the line is too thick then you may have to get a really large clothes pin.

I tie a hunters orange bandana on my leg before descents on wreck sites with more than one mooring line. I then retie it on the line I came down at the start of the dive. when its over I return to the orange bandana stick it in a pocket and up I go. A john line might be a good idea as well.

bent
04-27-2010, 10:05
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll make sure to mark the line.

Noob
04-27-2010, 10:21
This dive is one I want to make in the next year. I had the opportunity last fall but I did not want it to be my first ocean dive. Hopefully soon.

mrmccoy
04-27-2010, 13:15
I'm hoping to make the big "O" this summer. I just did my advanced and will be doing nitrox soon so I might even be able to make two trips :)

Vlane
04-27-2010, 13:28
The O is one of my goals to get in the next few years, want to complete nitrox prior to doing so though. Sounds like it can be a rough dive based on Bigg's report so marking the upline sounds like an excellent idea.

comet24
04-27-2010, 13:44
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll make sure to mark the line.

I use a strobe. It has the benefit of making it easier to find when vis is bad and if your diving with others buddy teams it's an indication of who's already on the line. Also mark the depth on a slate of where the line is tied in. That way when looking for it you know what depth. When there are multiple buoys on a wreck they are usually at slightly different depths.

I never dive a wreck without a SMB/spool and usually have a lift bag and reel also. Practice shooting them from the depth you my have to deploy them at in calm water. While it's seems like a simply skill it's not without practice.

Seniordiver
04-27-2010, 15:45

I tie a hunters orange bandana on my leg before descents on wreck sites with more than one mooring line. I then retie it on the line I came down at the start of the dive. when its over I return to the orange bandana stick it in a pocket and up I go. A john line might be a good idea as well.

A "john line". Hey, just cuz it was a Navy vessel, doesn't mean there are still hookers around

Rileybri
04-27-2010, 15:56

A "john line". Hey, just cuz it was a Navy vessel, doesn't mean there are still hookers around

I think it has more to do with its vicinity to TX than it being a navy vessel! :smilie39:

georoc01
04-28-2010, 09:21
Sounds like they plan to start burning off the oil..

Coast Guard will start burning some Gulf slick oil - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100428/ap_on_bi_ge/us_louisiana_oil_rig_explosion)

SugarInWater
04-28-2010, 11:50

Riley,

That's a great idea, something I've never thougth of or seen before. Thanks.

Chilkie
05-13-2010, 20:50
I dove the Oriskany last summer. The visibility there is known to be spotty even on a good day.I couldn't even see the wreck until we were basically on top of it.
The current was some of the strongest I've ever been in, scuba or not. Still, it was a heck of a dive and I can't wait to go back. I'm hoping to sneak it in this summer at some point.

bent
05-13-2010, 21:14
I dove the Oriskany last summer. The visibility there is known to be spotty even on a good day.I couldn't even see the wreck until we were basically on top of it.
The current was some of the strongest I've ever been in, scuba or not. Still, it was a heck of a dive and I can't wait to go back. I'm hoping to sneak it in this summer at some point.

I'm not sure if you have been watching the Gulf news, but the oil spill may keep anyone from diving the mighty O this summer.

mrmccoy
05-14-2010, 05:37
There isn't oil there yet!

bigman241
07-01-2010, 00:58
I want to do that dive so much big budd. I was thinking maybe we could make a pit stop over there on the way back from our AOW in aug if the oil allowed. Reading what happen to you guys I question if we are ready.

Suther2136
07-25-2010, 17:30
Bigg with a statement like test [/quote] that you can't leave us hanging.[/QUOTE]test

mrmccoy
07-26-2010, 09:35
There are several dive ops running to the mighty "o" now.

navyhmc
07-26-2010, 09:49
test
that you can't leave us hanging.test

fixed it for you. the first braket is "quote" not "/quote"...

Glad to konw that folks are going out there again...maybe, somtime, soon I will be able to make the trip.

ScubaStevo
07-26-2010, 12:22
The oil is already affecting those areas. It is actually the only areas currently being affected. The other 90% of the Florida coastline is still unharmed.

Florida Oil Spill Updates, Weather Alert, Travel Advisory, Emergency Information | Florida Vacation, Tourism, Travel & Entertainment Information - VISITFLORIDA.com (http://www.visitflorida.com/florida_travel_advisory/)

mrmccoy
07-27-2010, 05:49
I was in ft. Walton beach Sunday and there wasn't the first sign of oil. Mbt divers in Pensacola posted on their facebook that trips have resumed to the Mighty "O". Dr. Dive has been on vacation but will be back in august. He has been running trips for the past few weeks with no oil!