PDA

View Full Version : SSI / PADI / NAUI certification

Xspect
09-06-2007, 10:53
Because of my job I travel around a lot and have to take classes whenever it fits into my schedule hence I'm certified via different agency not by choice but due to my schedule.

I did my OW via SSI
I did my Advance via PadI

I going to an stress and Rescue via SSI but he will include several elements of NAUI

I will obtain both a SSI and NAUI stress and Rescue card.

Can someone explain to me how this works.

Also will I run into issues taking class from different agencies ?

ScubaToys Larry
09-06-2007, 11:18
Not a problem. The instructor just has to make sure that you cover the information that is required for both agencies. For example, without knowing SSI, let's just say that they have a 100 yard tow requirement, and naui has a 200 yard tow requirement... If you did the 200, you accomplished the 100, or let's say that naui requires you do 4 repetitions of some skill, but ssi says 6... so long as you did the 6 - then you accomplished the 4... So at the end of the day, you have completed the minimum requirements for each agency, and can get 2 cards.

Now in honesty... so what... You really don't care... but many times instructors do. It allows them to put on the resume that they certified x number of divers with Padi, Y number of divers with Naui, Z number with SSI, and they never bother point out that 90% were actually the same folks - just multiple cards!

Capt Hook
09-06-2007, 12:08
I've done NAUI, PADI, DAN, NAUI; it's all the same.

BuzzGA
09-06-2007, 21:16
I've got NAUI, PADI, and DAN certifications. I'm not so worried about the certifying agency as I am with the instructor. My PADI rescue instructor is the same as my DAN DES and DEMP instructor and I went to him based on his wealth of knowledge not on the certifying agency.