PDA

View Full Version : How to set up my strobe?

ScubaJW
09-06-2007, 11:09
I have Olympus 770sw, Olympus PT-035 housing, and Sealife Digital Strobe.

I tested my strobe with my housing and camera, the strobe works. So I believe it will work. I tried to get the optical fiber stay in one place on my housing somehow.

Show me your setup with any Olympus housing and Sealife strobe. Or give me ideas!

Thanks!

bversteegh
09-08-2007, 21:59
I don't know anything about your particular strobe - but I assume it is triggered with a fiber optic that slaves off the internal camera flash.

what is really handy for an easily removable set up is to use the velcro with adhesive backing you can buy at home depot or Walmart. Remember to block off the front of your housing if it is clear so the internal flash only triggers the strobe, and doesn't illuminate the scene - it will cause lots of backscatter because it is so close to the lens, and points directly out.

Sounds like you are somewhat new to UW photography with a strobe, your strobe should be pointed at a angle so the edge of the beam lights the subject; especially if the subject is more than 12 to 18 inches from the camera. The farther away the subject, the more chance that you will get backscatter if the strobe is close to the lens and pointed parallel to the lens.

The other secret to good pictures is to get close - a small strobe like the Sealife probably can't adequately light a subject more than 3 to 4 feet away. When I shoot macro, I try to be between 9 inches (closest focus point for my camera) and 2 feet - you quickly loose color saturation and fine detail as the subject gets farther away.

Click on the photo icon under my screen name and you will see some macro shots I have taken - all those were taken 18 inches or less from the subject.

HTH

ScubaJW
09-13-2007, 00:28
bversteegh, sounds like a great idea. I will try that out and let you know about it. Thanks!

ccarter
09-26-2007, 12:21
Just curious how your setup is working now.. I've got a 770sw and a housing is enroute.. leaving for the caymans in about ~6 weeks. Might pick up a strobe if I can find one decently priced..

ccarter
09-26-2007, 12:23
Also is the sea life strobe you have the Sealife SL960D ?

ScubaJW
10-02-2007, 10:14
Also is the sea life strobe you have the Sealife SL960D ?

ccarter,

Yes, that's correct. I have a SL960D digital strobe. I will show you how the setup goes as I haven't done anything yet.