PDA

View Full Version : New Computer

josh7284
04-30-2010, 14:28
I ordered the Mares nemo sport wrist watch computer from scuba toys for the 199 special and I still havnt dove with it. Does anyone own the computer? Any tips or anything I hsould know before I do dive with it?

navyhmc
04-30-2010, 17:22
Go over the manual at least three tmes! Work every function until you know how it works completely. Understand the display, what everything means and how to adjust everything you can adjust and what those adjustments mean.

I don't own a Nemo, but that advice works on any PDC.

Chilly
04-30-2010, 18:15
My son and I always brief the no deco limit and when a safety stop is required per the tables. We use to numbers to cross-check the computer and as a back-up in the event of computer failure.

josh7284
04-30-2010, 18:35
Thanks guys i am so excited to use it on my next dive. It seems really effective when diving because it so small. I am too lazy to read over the manual

navyhmc
04-30-2010, 21:00
Please read the manual Josh! IMHO, that's the only way to safely use it. Yes, I know it reads like the manual from a VCR, but there's a lot of good information in it.

jj1987
04-30-2010, 21:36
Please read the manual Josh! IMHO, that's the only way to safely use it. Yes, I know it reads like the manual from a VCR, but there's a lot of good information in it.
Why would you buy a computer if you weren't' being lazy? :smilie40:

navyhmc
04-30-2010, 22:56
Why would you buy a computer if you weren't' being lazy? :smilie40:

To be trendy? :dunno: :smiley36:

I have one and I still use tables and still do more than hook up the regs, look at the PDC and go. There are a lot of things this old dog likes about computers, though it took a good number of yers before I got one. Still don't fuly trust it, but it's not given me a dcs hit yet and I've been close to NDL's on more than one occasion.

cyclone3565
05-01-2010, 05:10
Started with Navy tables, the Padi, and I can honestly say, I don't look at them any more. I have my Uwatec and never turned around. It is the year 2010, tables had their place, and I for one am glad it is in the past tense.

navyhmc
05-01-2010, 05:15
Started with Navy tables, the Padi, and I can honestly say, I don't look at them any more. I have my Uwatec and never turned around. It is the year 2010, tables had their place, and I for one am glad it is in the past tense.

Ditto on the tables. Though I still use them as I like a back up plan. Not to turn this into another tables vs. PDC thread though. We already have one of those going: http://forum.scubatoys.com/open-water-diver/30874-new-divers.html :smiley20:

To a point though, I miss the navy tables in all their confusing glory. :smiley36::smiley29:

josh7284
05-06-2010, 08:36
I havnt even been around the diving world long enough to know the tables. Most of the crowd I dive with has never even looked at them during diving haha.

Chilly
05-06-2010, 12:18
Josh,

You are not alone. According to the 2008 DAN Annual Report, 79% of the dives in their study used dive computers to control the dive plan, 10% used tables, and 9% didn't use anything at all.

However, dive computer issues were also the most commonly described equipment problem. What does this mean to you?

In order to break the chain-of-events that could lead to a potential diving mishap, is it critical for you to be familiar with all the controls, displays, and application of your computer data both for normal use and to immediately recognize a malfunction.

It will also allow you to maximize your dive time and enjoyment underwater. Who wouldn't want to do that?

So - read your user's manual 3 times, practice with all the functions of your computer, be familiar with all the displays, and please have ALL of your questions answered before diving.

jj1987
05-06-2010, 15:25
It will also allow you to maximize your dive time and enjoyment underwater. Who wouldn't want to do that?
To be clear here-- a computer does nothing to maximize bottom time. It simply accounts for a multilevel profile using modern deco algorithms. Training is available on how to do this without relying on a computer.

Chilly
05-06-2010, 18:01
JJ

Thanks for the clarification.

Where is the training available to determine NDLs for multi-level dive profiles without a PDC? I would like to consider this into my PDC failure gameplan if it's not too painful to determine on the fly.

Right now, my gameplan is to terminate the dive at the pre-determined NDL or for air state, whichever occurs first.

jj1987
05-06-2010, 22:03
JJ

Where is the training available to determine NDLs for multi-level dive profiles without a PDC? I would like to consider this into my PDC failure gameplan if it's not too painful to determine on the fly.

Right now, my gameplan is to terminate the dive at the pre-determined NDL or for air state, whichever occurs first.
Ratio Deco - Unified Team Diving (http://www.unifiedteamdiving.com/page/ratio-deco)

That's the best publicly available lecture on the topic that I've seen. Many cave diving and technical diving courses cover similar material as well.

Largo
05-06-2010, 22:08
Post retracted.

Thanks for the info.

Flatliner
05-06-2010, 22:20
JJ

Ratio Deco - Unified Team Diving (http://www.unifiedteamdiving.com/page/ratio-deco)

That's the best publicly available lecture on the topic that I've seen. Many cave diving and technical diving courses cover similar material as well.

Actually looks like a very interesting class. I take back what I was going to post.

Thanks for the link.