PDA

View Full Version : Open Water Cert begins tomorrow

fxstc
05-05-2010, 20:37
Fly to FL tomorrow, checkout dives are on Fri and Sat. I'm really excited, and kinda nervous too, but I think I have my ducks in a row, thanks in large part to all of the information I've gathered from this forum. So thanks everybody! If nothing else I get to spend a few days on Key Largo, and that can't be all bad!!

navyhmc
05-05-2010, 20:55
Good luck and have fun! That's the most importantthing: Fun. Enjoy the class and welcome to the group. Let us know how it goes. Yes, there's not many places better than Key Largo to take your OW.

fxstc
05-05-2010, 21:16
Good luck and have fun! That's the most importantthing: Fun. Enjoy the class and welcome to the group. Let us know how it goes. Yes, there's not many places better than Key Largo to take your OW.

Thanks Navy! Yes, I definitely intend to have fun!!

rkj1969
05-05-2010, 21:53
I hope it's a great adventure for you! good luck!!

mrmccoy
05-06-2010, 06:51
Your making a mistake......doing your check out dives in key largo! You will be spoiled and will only want to dive in clear warm water.

Have fun you should have a blast

scubastud
05-06-2010, 07:00
Have a great time !

ScubaAl
05-06-2010, 07:27
I did my OW check out dives in Key Largo back in the winter of 1987. Took class and pool home in MN. then flew down to FL. Was much easier then waiting till spring back home and doing a lake dive.
Have fun, Al

navyhmc
05-06-2010, 07:32
One other piece of advice: Practice the skills well in the pool, get to where you build good muscle memory of them. If you can make them second nature in the pool, the open water check out will be a breeze.

Noob
05-06-2010, 09:23
Good deal, have fun and dive safe.

fxstc
05-09-2010, 23:03
Got it done....
I should have made it more clear that I had already completed my confined water skills here in Colorado, and I went to KL for the Open Water dives. I did spend a little time in the pool in between and started to get some feel for bouyancy control. My main issue was with air management. First couple of dives were short, around 30 minutes with 500 psi remaining at the end of the dives. I was really excited, and anxiuos on the first dives, and I still have a lot of work to go, but I did manage to get in a 42 minute dive on day 2. I need to work on my breathing, but I guess that will improve as I gain experience.
And it might have been a mistake to do this in Key Largo, because now I need to find a way to relocate! Absolutely beautiful weekend. I'm going to post a trip report now.
Thanks again for all the advice!!!

fxstc
05-09-2010, 23:04
Oops double post.

navyhmc
05-10-2010, 01:42
Congrats welcome and now go get yer butt wet!

fxstc
05-10-2010, 06:23
Congrats welcome and now go get yer butt wet!

Absoultely!! I can't believe I waited this long to do this. I'm going to try get some pool time to work on my breathing this week.

navyhmc
05-10-2010, 06:58
Being in Co, does have it's draw backs, open water beats pool time everytime, but then when you're limited, do what you can. If you get achance, head down to Santa Ros aNM and idve blue hole and perch lake. They're altitude dives so you have to adjust, but still fun for a weekend.