PDA

View Full Version : problem with suunto vyper

Subaqua
09-06-2007, 17:39
On my last dive, we were at 80 feet and my Vyper indicated only 73 feet. It's the first time I noticed a difference with my gauge. Also, for the dive time my computer indicated 32 minutes, but we did 38 minutes. It's quite new and still on the warranty, so I suppose the cie will change it, but have you ever had this kind of problem with suunto computer?

Aussie
09-06-2007, 17:58
I have the D9 and Vytec. I dive with them both. The difference between them is 10cm and 1 bar when I am using the AI.

I would send it back and get a replacement.

Aussie

Theepdinker
09-06-2007, 18:59
My wife dives a Cobra, I dive a Vyper.
We dive matching Stingers as back-up.
Never off by more than 1 minute or 2 feet between all computers.

I vote to send it back.

Theep

Flatliner
09-06-2007, 19:01
When I saw your post, it reminded me on one I read on "that other board" not exactly the same computer but worth the read.

http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=195116&highlight=suunto+problem

mwhities
09-06-2007, 20:27
I'll need to compare my Suunto Vyper with my dive buddies Oceanic VT3.

Michael

somewhereinla
09-06-2007, 21:03
How can you be sure that it's not you buddy's computer that's wrong?

ReefHound
09-06-2007, 21:05
I have heard that if you strap it on too tight (is it a wrist model) you can interfere with the depth reading. I've also heard of problems with some computers not activating on contact with the water and "starting" the dive at 5 feet or so which might cause incorrect depth and dive time readings.

Send it back to check the calibration.

Subaqua
09-07-2007, 08:01
How can you be sure that it's not you buddy's computer that's wrong?

I compared it also with my gauge (analog) and my watch (analog) and with the two more divers that have also both computer and analog gauge as back up.

Subaqua
09-07-2007, 08:02
When I saw your post, it reminded me on one I read on "that other board" not exactly the same computer but worth the read.

http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=195116&highlight=suunto+problem

Thanks for the link. I'll send it back for check-up and replacement. It seems I'm not the only one, I guess my computer was one of the deffective batch.

mwhities
09-07-2007, 08:08
I've also heard of problems with some computers not activating on contact with the water and "starting" the dive at 5 feet or so which might cause incorrect depth and dive time readings.

Send it back to check the calibration.

You bring up a good point. I did notice that my Vyper didn't turn "on" until I was 2 or maybe 3' feet deep. Well, it turn on, just didn't register depth. I may call and find out what I can do about that.

Of course, that'll be after Oct 6th. I'm not sure I'd get it back in time if I sent it now.

Thanks RH,

Michael

ReefHound
09-07-2007, 09:38
I've gotten in the habit of always activating my computers manually just before entry, never been a fan of the "automatic activation" thing. I want to see the battery test and display before I jump in.

What are you doing Oct. 6th?

mwhities
09-07-2007, 09:40
I've gotten in the habit of always activating my computers manually just before entry, never been a fan of the "automatic activation" thing. I want to see the battery test and display before I jump in.

What are you doing Oct. 6th?

Well, I usually do but, I've only dove air the last 4 dives so, I didn't need to turn it on to set the Nitrox amount.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=48&day=2007-10-6&c=6

The Big "O" Baby!

Michael

ReefHound
09-07-2007, 09:44
Air or nitrox, I want to know the computer is working before I stride in.

The Oriskany is a great dive, been on 3 trips so far and plans for many more. I thought maybe you were referring to Trashfest and I was going to laugh at you for needing a computer for a 10' river dive.

mwhities
09-07-2007, 09:47
Air or nitrox, I want to know the computer is working before I stride in.

The Oriskany is a great dive, been on 3 trips so far and plans for many more. I thought maybe you were referring to Trashfest and I was going to laugh at you for needing a computer for a 10' river dive.

Understood.

It'll be my first. I can't wait to get there. I hope the viz is unlimited and there is no current. :)

Trashfest? Haven't heard about that.

Michael

ReefHound
09-07-2007, 09:56
It's on the Southwest area calendar, http://forum.scubatoys.com/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=44&day=2007-10-6&c=2