PDA

View Full Version : Lake Havasu Pirahna

inventor
05-08-2010, 10:56
I'm hearing it from people that heard it from people living there, but;

Has anyone heard anything official about this? Is it they just found one, or found something someone thought was a piranha?

I can just see some idiot dumping his aquarium 'cause they weren't 'cool' anymore.

:smiley5:

I know it was a cheesy movie, but apparently at least one thing thought to be piranha was found.

navyhmc
05-08-2010, 18:14
Now and again, a pirahna show up here in doo-dah. OF course big bubble eye gold fish do too. It's been shown time and time again that in an open body of water, they pose no hazard at all. They are a threat if there is a great number of them in a restricted body of water that has minimal food available.

PlatypusMan
05-08-2010, 19:47
The only true danger would be if a breeding pair were released like Mothers-in-law. THEN you will have a serious problem.

PPM

maverick
05-25-2010, 01:17
I'll B leaving 4 that area in a couple of weeks 2 do some visiting and diving, What about Lake Mojave? Any Piranhs there?

inventor
10-20-2010, 20:59
Haven't heard about any in Mojave, just Havasu.

Lulubelle
10-20-2010, 23:04
It makes me sad to see my land locked brethren getting so excited about the idea of one toothy critter in the water. Rumor has it that there are sharks out there in Kansas though. Someone found some teeth in the quarry.

navyhmc
10-21-2010, 00:48
It makes me sad to see my land locked brethren getting so excited about the idea of one toothy critter in the water. Rumor has it that there are sharks out there in Kansas though. Someone found some teeth in the quarry.

We did!!! So we have formed a shark patrol and the critters just up and left! :smilie39: :smiley20: :smiley2:

Sketcher
10-21-2010, 01:26
Piranha 3D filmed at Lake Havasu:

Piranhas? Lake Havasu is Lake Victoria? City gets set for instant fame - Photo Gallery - Video - National Blogosphere Buzz | Examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/blogosphere-buzz-in-national/piranhas-lake-havasu-is-lake-victoria-city-gets-set-for-instant-fame-photo-gallery-video)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/08/piranha-3d-lake-havasu-tourism.html

While it might seem preposterous that tourists could truly believe that there are piranhas swimming around Lake Havasu, some local hotel owners say they've already encountered a few nervous patrons.

“One woman was bringing up to me that the movie was coming out, and she asked – as serious as serious can be – ‘Oh, but are there still piranha in the lake?’ ” recalled Cal Sheehy, general manager of the London Bridge Resort, which is right on Lake Havasu. “At first, I kind of took it as a joke. But then I let her know that that’s the computer-generated part of the movie. And she was very relieved, saying, ‘Oh, I’m so glad to hear that.’ ”

Vern Porter, of the Nautical Beachfront Resort, has been joking with his guests that he “hopes they took all of the piranhas out when they finished the movie,” but can’t imagine anyone would take the threat of killer fish seriously.

navyhmc
10-21-2010, 03:42
Well, look at how many folks wouldn't go nearthe ocean after Jaws....

FFDiver
10-21-2010, 09:17
Did some just see bigfoot there also????

Straegen
10-21-2010, 09:39
They fish one out of the TN lakes from time to time. They don't do well in the cold at all so most experts I have heard speak on the subject tend to think they are pets that are released. The really scary invasive fish is the asian carp which poses substantial injury threat from jumping.

inventor
10-21-2010, 10:30
Did some just see bigfoot there also????

Nah, that was just some hairy old guy diving in a horse collar.

Or, so they say....

TJDiver
10-21-2010, 11:34
We did!!! So we have formed a shark patrol and the critters just up and left! :smilie39: :smiley20: :smiley2:

We have sharks...ok...a shark...at one of our local quarries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UZaLE--Jgc

navyhmc
10-21-2010, 13:14
We have sharks...ok...a shark...at one of our local quarries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UZaLE--Jgc

Smile you son of a Bit......