PDA

View Full Version : Overkill?

BRsnow
05-09-2010, 15:21
I have the Underwater Kinetics C4 eLED Dive Light, but have found myself only using the UK mini Q40 led light for night dives. It seems the larger light is just too much light for the night diving I have done. This has only been in Cozumel. Is there a time I would be needing the larger light? I a couple of the mini's I take with me and have started to leave the larger light at home. I only took it in the water once and might sell it, but was curious when the larger light is more beneficial...thanks for the insight. BR

navyhmc
05-09-2010, 15:35
Not being a guywho gets to do all that many night dives in nice glear water, the larger light is great for the darker midwest waters.

BRsnow
05-09-2010, 15:48
I was thinking about selling it and picking up a mini-torch. I really don't see myself doing too many non-warm water night dives. I was just curious if anyone sees a benefit using them in clearer waters before I sell it...thanks.

awap
05-09-2010, 15:55
There is such a thing as overkill when it comes to lights in clear water but I'm surprised you would put a C4 led in that category. In any event, if water clarity falls a bit, you will appreciate a little extra penetration.

fire diver
05-09-2010, 16:21
I dumped a C4 because it was too wimpy. I dive the same waters as Navy though. It's damn near impossible to have too powerful of a light down here.

buddhasummer
05-13-2010, 04:29
I had a DiveRite LED500 which I just sold as I hardly ever use it. The night diving I generally do is warm clear water where more is often less. I found myself using my, much smaller, Tusa/Intova Wide more and more in place of the LED500. I want to buy an Mb-sub X1-VB as I think its a great "all round" light for the diving I do but boy its expensive.

Jack Hammer
05-13-2010, 11:12
When I dove in Roatan I used the C8 eLed and found it great overall for night diving in the clear waters, especially on a wreck, or when we were 30' off the bottom. But there were a few times it would scare away some of the night critters, you just had to control where you aimed it. It was a bit too bright for up close reef diving at night though, it just depends on what type of diving you're gonna do.

That same C8 eLed light works ok but wasn't really focused enough for the night dives I do in heavily paticulated lower viz waters here in the midwest, so I ditched it for a much brighter and more focused can light with more punch. Next time I'm night diving clear waters while traveling I'll probably just use my Dorcy light as it's focused and pretty bright. Plus as a travel bonus it's small, light, and runs for quite a while on cheap and easily replaced AA batteries.

Like so many other things, a light is a tool. Pick the right tool for the task at hand and that task gets done much better than if you picked the wrong tool.

rikusv
11-18-2010, 22:23
I had a DiveRite LED500 which I just sold as I hardly ever use it. The night diving I generally do is warm clear water where more is often less. I found myself using my, much smaller, Tusa/Intova Wide more and more in place of the LED500. I want to buy an Mb-sub X1-VB as I think its a great "all round" light for the diving I do but boy its expensive.

Hi buddhasummer. Have you bought or used the MB-Sub X1-VB yet? It sounds perfect, but I can't find information about the beam's colour temperature, so just worried it could be e.g. too yellow.