PDA

View Full Version : Boat dive etiquites ???

Divegirl
09-06-2007, 20:45
Hey all
I know when I certified, and while diving, many people have a wide range of what it is to be polite to your fellow diver on the boat.

What do you believe is courtesy????

And/or what makes you angry when your on the boat???

what is expected on the dive boat crew???

MEL-DC Diver
09-06-2007, 20:51
1) Keep your gear in your spot. Don't have it strewn all over the boat.
2) Don't touch my gear.
3) Smile, or at least don't frown at me unless I just put my tank down on your foot.
4) I expect a safety brief from the crew.
5) I expect a dive site and dive conditions brief from the crew.
6) I expect to be checked in when back on the boat. Don't leave me.
7) I expect to tip accordingly. If you leave me in the middle of the ocean, no tip for you.
8) Oh, and if providing tanks - I like them full, please.

JahJahwarrior
09-06-2007, 21:09
NEVER dirty the water in a CAMERA dunk tank with your mask. NEVER EVER EVER put anything but a CAMERA in the CAMERA tank. Rinsing your mask there will earn you enemies, and for good reason, dirt in that water could result in dirt in orings, which could cause a leak that would ruin hundresds of dollars of gear. :)

Also, rinse your mask out in theo cean to get out scuba-cicles/snotcicles before rinsing it in the mask rinse tank.

diverdad
09-06-2007, 21:15
2) Don't touch my gear.
3) Smile, or at least don't frown at me unless I just put my tank down on your foot.
7) I expect to tip accordingly. If you leave me in the middle of the ocean, no tip for you.

great list but i would add not to put your fins on until you are ready and at the entry platform(not walking around in them).
and the closest person to the entry platform enters first(so if you want to be first in the water be closest to the platform.

Bigg_Budd
09-06-2007, 21:16
My ONE rub is when someone uses their wheeled suitcase as a boat bag. Too big! No reason to bring that on a boat. If it doesn't fit in a duffel, or if you can't physically carry all your gear, you shouldn't be diving off a boat...

OK. My rant is over. :)

MEL-DC Diver
09-06-2007, 21:25
My ONE rub is when someone uses their wheeled suitcase as a boat bag. Too big! No reason to bring that on a boat. If it doesn't fit in a duffel, or if you can't physically carry all your gear, you shouldn't be diving off a boat...

I agree in general, but sometimes it cannot be helped and as long as there is stowage (in the bow, out of the way) then I am not fussed. Full up six-packs, then definitely an issue.

Kidder
09-06-2007, 21:26
Yup wheel bags are far too bulky. I find that most divers are very curtious and helpful in general.

Bigg_Budd
09-06-2007, 21:37
I agree in general, but sometimes it cannot be helped and as long as there is stowage (in the bow, out of the way) then I am not fussed. Full up six-packs, then definitely an issue.

I'll give a little on a live aboard, that is the one instance I think this would make sense. However, any 2, 3, or even 4 tank (recreational) charter can be packed into a single duffel...

OK. Now the rant is really over.

thesmoothdome
09-06-2007, 21:46
If my gear is close the the swim step, giant stride entry point of the boat, please leave me enough room to gear up. I know YOU want to get into the water NOW, but no one is leaving until I surface, so don't make be the last one off the boat, because I'm gonna suck that tank dry before I surface just to make everyone else wait :).

Capt Hook
09-06-2007, 22:19
Camera rinse tanks, so many divers put their camera in the tank and leave it. Rinse it off and get it out of there, make room for the next guy.

kev99
09-06-2007, 22:50
Learning some good tips here on general etiquette since the first and only time my wife and I have been on a boat outing we were the only ones on there! There were actually three divers from the outfit who dove and only two of us!

ScaredSilly
09-06-2007, 23:08
A few of mine -

Do not go the splash zone unless you are ready to splash, nothing worse than being all kited up and waiting while someone else is adjusting their gear.

If a very diverse group, let the more experienced divers splash first. They will probably be coming up last.

When coming up do not crowd the ladder.

If you dump your fins on the deck before coming up the ladder - collect them so the next person does not trip on them.

Black-Gorrilla
09-06-2007, 23:09
If my gear is close the the swim step, giant stride entry point of the boat, please leave me enough room to gear up. I know YOU want to get into the water NOW, but no one is leaving until I surface, so don't make be the last one off the boat, because I'm gonna suck that tank dry before I surface just to make everyone else wait :).

the boats i've been on give ya a time limit... usually 1 hour (most i've gone with air left was a surprising 56 minutes and i had 1100psi left, i though there was something wrong with me, and no i was not holding my breath)

but within and hour you are to be at the boat waiting to climb back aboard.

Foo2
09-06-2007, 23:36
These are all great tips! I, like kev99, have only been on 1 dive boat and it was just the Foo's and the crew. So naturally I didn't have to worry about all of that. Thanks for starting this thread...it's a good one!

skippy11
09-07-2007, 01:01
Great Thread! As a newbie I was scared I would offend someone on the boat, by doing something wrong (encroaching into their space, etc.) Turned out, they (other divers on the boat) were thinking the samething. So, we had a similar discussion on the boat coming in from the dive. Thanks for the tips.

cutter77
09-07-2007, 02:55
"Also, rinse your mask out in the ocean to get out scuba-cicles/snotcicles before rinsing it in the mask rinse tank."

Excellent suggestion.

Also, please don't grab any part of my rig when you're lurching to the front of the boat.

Black-Gorrilla
09-07-2007, 07:30
"Also, rinse your mask out in the ocean to get out scuba-cicles/snotcicles before rinsing it in the mask rinse tank."

Excellent suggestion.

Also, please don't grab any part of my rig when you're lurching to the front of the boat.

both pluses!!
dont leave your mask soaking in the RINSE bucket... its a rinse bucket, not a soak bucket.

Dont just look at people, talk to them, introduce yourself. quiet boats are no fun!

Texas Girl
09-07-2007, 07:57
I bring hard candies (jolly ranchers) to share with everyone on the boat. It is a great way to introduce yourself.

Listen carefully to the DM when they talk about getting in and out. Each boat seems to do things a little differently.

mwhities
09-07-2007, 08:11

I knew you looked familiar. ;)

Michael

frankc420
09-07-2007, 08:33

Michael

I thought he was referencing you when he wrote that... you are after all, the person that came to mind when I saw his post :smiley21:

thesmoothdome
09-07-2007, 08:35

the boats i've been on give ya a time limit... usually 1 hour (most i've gone with air left was a surprising 56 minutes and i had 1100psi left, i though there was something wrong with me, and no i was not holding my breath)

but within and hour you are to be at the boat waiting to climb back aboard.

A lot of boats out here will ask that you be back on the boat within an hour and a half. Either way, all they can do is wait or spear me from the surface :).

Seriously, I think it's important that everyone follow the guidelines the DMs lay out. It makes their difficult jobs a lot easier. At the same time, first or last in the water, you should be given time to complete the dive within the parameters that are laid out.

gtjason2000
09-07-2007, 08:46
I guess one that hasn't been covered is try and use just one juice/water cup so you don't run through all 30 cups before the first dive.

awap
09-07-2007, 09:02
It's pretty simple. Do what you can to stay out of my way, and I'll do what I can to stay out of your's.

No Misses
09-07-2007, 09:04
It is a little off topic. But, since people have brought up the gear storage issue (No Large Wheeled Bags), I have found that a milk crate works best for under the bench storage. It keeps your stuff from washing all over the deck on a rough day. It is roughly 14 inches wide, so it is easy to not overflow into someone elses space. When I go out on a dive boat, everything fits into the crate except my Fins, BC, and Tanks. If you and your partner both use crates then it is easy to stack your fins on thier sides between the 2 crates.

Oh yea, this thread is about pet peves:
If you are a spitter, DO NOT RINSE YOUR MASK IN THE BUCKET!

mwhities
09-07-2007, 09:06
I thought he was referencing you when he wrote that... you are after all, the person that came to mind when I saw his post :smiley21:

I like big bags and I can not lie!

Michael

Foo2
09-07-2007, 09:23
I like big bags and I can not lie!

Michael

You otha' brotha's can't deny!:smiley36:

Bigg_Budd
09-07-2007, 09:36

Michael

Dude - You a big bagger? :)

Did you dive the Mighty O yet?

mwhities
09-07-2007, 09:38

Michael

Dude - You a big bagger? :)

Did you dive the Mighty O yet?

I'm a big boy with big toys!

Not yet, check the calendar for Oct 6th. ;)

I do need to find a smaller bag, now that I have my BP/W. Somewhat of an over kill. :)

Michael

Bigg_Budd
09-07-2007, 09:41
I'm a big boy with big toys!

Not yet, check the calendar for Oct 6th. ;)

I do need to find a smaller bag, now that I have my BP/W. Somewhat of an over kill. :)

Michael

Man, you gotta get down to the flight deck with a scooter and take off like a Tomcat. DREAM DIVE BABY!

mwhities
09-07-2007, 09:43
Man, you gotta get down to the flight deck with a scooter and take off like a Tomcat. DREAM DIVE BABY!

If I had doubles and a scooter, I would! ;)

Uhm, I do have friends with scooters, a lot of scooters and I'm sure I could get doubles....

I'll get back to you on that.

Michael

Bigg_Budd
09-07-2007, 09:43

If I had doubles and a scooter, I would! ;)

Uhm, I do have friends with scooters, a lot of scooters and I'm sure I could get doubles....

I'll get back to you on that.

Michael

Make it happen dude.

dallasdivergirl
09-07-2007, 09:49
If you bring water bottles, soda bottles, food, etc pick up your trash!

Don't just leave it out on the seats or floor.

I do like the jolly rancher idea to meet people.

Harshal
09-07-2007, 10:30
Great Thread! As a newbie I was scared I would offend someone on the boat, by doing something wrong (encroaching into their space, etc.) Turned out, they (other divers on the boat) were thinking the samething. So, we had a similar discussion on the boat coming in from the dive. Thanks for the tips.
Naw....... let other divers know you are diving for first time and they will guide you. Most of the divers are nice and accomodating.

Harshal
09-07-2007, 10:31
If you bring water bottles, soda bottles, food, etc pick up your trash!

Don't just leave it out on the seats or floor.

Saying that, I hate when ppl leave half water bottle and go to cooler and open another bottle coz they don't remember where they left their previous bottle of water.

MEL-DC Diver
09-07-2007, 12:41

When saying hello isn't cutting it, bribe them with candy. :smiley36:

Divegirl
09-08-2007, 01:26
Great tips, thank you it is good information for me and others, we know what each of us expect of the others.

What is the golden rule when you hook your reg up to the tank? My first real boat dive, I had no clue.

A husband and wife team had there gear hooked up, and Silly me, I was like oh there is a tank, so I hooked my reg up to the tank in between there tanks. The husband was evil, he ripped me up one side and down the other, and then gave me dirty looks for the rest of the boat trip.

SO, TIPS
* Tanks are in twos, Do not take the one in the middle!!!

* Remember, there are always new divers on the boat, being certified does not mean you know all the rules, be kind when you approach another diver with a good tip, it will be appreciated and taken to heart.

scubasteven45
09-08-2007, 01:47
Agree with all of the above, make sure your gear is in check and not all over the place. Be mindful of other divers' stuff and don't touch anything of theirs unless you ask. "Oooooh nice mask oops I just dropped a 150.00 mask and broke it" Happened to a buddy of mine, ruined his dive.

JCAT
09-08-2007, 06:14
2) Don't touch my gear.

These are are all very good. I would add, that if you feel sea sick, find downwind side of boat please.

quarrydiver
09-08-2007, 16:55
don't plug the head and if you do, let someone know.

ScubaJenn81
09-10-2007, 12:36
If someone is feeling seasick and needs to get in the water, just stay out of their way and let them get it, don't be a jerk and try to cut in line.

CompuDude
09-10-2007, 15:04
Great tips, thank you it is good information for me and others, we know what each of us expect of the others.

What is the golden rule when you hook your reg up to the tank? My first real boat dive, I had no clue.

A husband and wife team had there gear hooked up, and Silly me, I was like oh there is a tank, so I hooked my reg up to the tank in between there tanks. The husband was evil, he ripped me up one side and down the other, and then gave me dirty looks for the rest of the boat trip.

SO, TIPS
* Tanks are in twos, Do not take the one in the middle!!!

* Remember, there are always new divers on the boat, being certified does not mean you know all the rules, be kind when you approach another diver with a good tip, it will be appreciated and taken to heart.
So... you hooked up your regs to someone else's tank? I can understand someone not being pleased about that, but there's no excuse for rudeness or abuse.

At this point in your diving, the easiest thing to do is check in with the DM each time you board a boat you haven't been on before, and ask them what the setup procedures are. They'll be happy to answer, and since every boat does things somewhat differently (especially boats that provide tanks), it's good to ask. Even when you have 100s of dives, you can come across new boats with new (and sometimes odd) procedures, so again, new boat = ask the DM. :)

picxie
09-10-2007, 16:18
Here's another ... if you are one of the first out of the water, don't eat/drink all the refreshments provided by the crew. Save some for those still in the water!!!

I hate being first in the water and I prefer to wait till one of the last so that I can get geared up without tripping up over people. So I'll stay in the cabin or up the front of the boat, out of peoples way, so that they can gear up first.

Also, remember that you are on someone's boat. If it is a large charter boat, this might not apply so much (as employee's are unlikely to care so much), but many of the boats I go on are owned by individuals who have worked hard to get that boat. Don't trash it. Put your rubbish away. Don't walk through the dry cabin area in a sopping wet wetsuit after they have told you that's a no-go area when your wet. Etc. This will apply to large charters but you might get a more personal response from a smaller boat.

Don't board the boat until you've been told you can. If they are not ready for you, you will just get in their way and they won't appreciate it.

Doug B
09-10-2007, 23:19
Do's:
1. Double check to make sure you have all yer stuff BEFORE you get on the boat. Make sure you know how to use it.
2. Show up to the boat on time. Nothing worse than the last dive I was on, when the boat of 15 divers was held up for 25 minutes because ONE WOMAN didn't hear her alarm, and didn't get up in the morning in time to be at the boat by 8am.
3. Pay attention to the dive breif (if there is one). Ask questions if you don't understand. If there is no brief, and you're a noob - ask for a brief.
4. Bring your own buddy if you're a noob. My buddy and I don't mind inviting you to join us if you're a beautiful woman, from time to time... but if you're a guy and looking for a dive buddy, well, uh.... lo siento, no hablo ingles.
5. Do offer to buy the first round of beer, after the diving is done for the day, if my buddy and I took you on as a tri-buddy.
6. Tip the dive guide/master/boat owner (as applicable) appropriately.
7. Have fun.

Dont's:
1. Don't drop your weight belt on my toes, or on the deck of the boat
2. Don't complain that you only got 15 minutes of dive time, because it took you 20 minutes to decend to 60 feet, because you're ears were blocked.
3. Don't giant stride on top of me.
4. Don't swim overtop of me (ie. run me over) during the safety stop.
5. Don't eat all of the oranges after you get out of the water. I'd like an oranges wedge or two at the end of the dive.
6. Don't Worry about your makeup, or your hair while you're on the boat... or what you're wearing. I'm on the boat to dive, I don't care what you look like, no body else does either.

thesmoothdome
09-10-2007, 23:49
[
So... you hooked up your regs to someone else's tank? I can understand someone not being pleased about that, but there's no excuse for rudeness or abuse.

Maybe I read it differently. I am tired (and sick of watching Matt Leinart lose me a fantasy game this week), but I thought I read that the husband and wife left a tank between them when they geared up. Divegirl simply hooked up her stuff to the open tank. If hubby and wife wanted to gear up next to each other on a full boat, they needed to put their gear next to each other. IMHO, Divegirl did absolutely nothing wrong and the guy was just a jerk.

CompuDude
09-11-2007, 00:42
[

Maybe I read it differently. I am tired (and sick of watching Matt Leinart lose me a fantasy game this week), but I thought I read that the husband and wife left a tank between them when they geared up. Divegirl simply hooked up her stuff to the open tank. If hubby and wife wanted to gear up next to each other on a full boat, they needed to put their gear next to each other. IMHO, Divegirl did absolutely nothing wrong and the guy was just a jerk.

Oh... if I was unclear, I was saying the GUY who yelled at DiveGirl was being rude and abusive. If anything, she just made a simple mistake (not really clear, but regardless, it sure doesn't sound like she did anything warranting that kind of treatment... and if you're right about the husband and wife, they were the ones being rude, not her!). In his place, I'd like to think I would have taken that opportunity to see that she's new and perhaps I can show her the ropes, rather than chewing her out. :)

charlesml3
09-11-2007, 13:18
Here are a few of mine:

-Don't cop a tude on me because I was down thirty minutes longer than you. I spent years developing this SAC rate.

-I have plenty of defog stuff in my bag. Feel free to use it. Same goes for sunscreen.

-I prefer to setup my own rig. I know some ops really want to do it for me. I don't complain but I'll offer to "do my own" and they usually agree.

-Check your computer BEFORE you leave the dock. Batteries always seem to die overnight.

tremtech
09-11-2007, 18:24
1.Rinse the urine out of your wet suit/shorts before you board the boat especially for the ride back to the dock no one wants to smell your piss all the way back to shore.plus no one wants you to drain your urine filled wet suit on the deck next to where they are packing their gear up ,most dms dont mind you jumping back in the water if you expierienced immersion drainage. Speaking of tips if your Dm has provided you with a decent dive expierience and his breifing and info was useful on the dive, reach into your pocket/purse and give the man or women a decent cash tip. I have seen a cheap basterd giving the the dms 3 bucks after the dm helped by fixing the guys free flowing regulator and showing the guy how to change his dive computer to the proper nitrox setting, besides changing the guy and his wifes tank out after the first dive and providing his sea sick wife early access to the water to help with her motion sickness. rule of thumb should be a minimum of $10 per tank. on the other hand if the dm is a cone and he is spending all his time chasing some bikini hottie around the boat and he doesnt do his job then dont tip and be sure to notify him and the dive shop owner of what happened most shop operators will fix this quickly.

quarrydiver
09-12-2007, 09:18
I'm on vacation so I guess I don't let what others do bother me. If they're in a hurry to get in the water I let em. Just means they have to come out first.

Divingguy
09-12-2007, 09:50
Your TOP priority is your own safety, and that of your buddy, at ALL stages of the trip. Do NOT rush your gearing up, or your buddy check, but do it in a way, and location, that does not interfere with others.
Be patient. Help those less experienced than you. You can tell who they are by watching or listening to them. Remember those who were kind to you when you were the noob.

mwhities
09-12-2007, 09:59
Jason,

I found my yellow mesh bag last night. Have no fear, I have my mesh bag here!

Michael

CompuDude
09-12-2007, 12:13
1.Rinse the urine out of your wet suit/shorts before you board the boat especially for the ride back to the dock no one wants to smell your piss all the way back to shore.plus no one wants you to drain your urine filled wet suit on the deck next to where they are packing their gear up ,most dms dont mind you jumping back in the water if you expierienced immersion drainage. Speaking of tips if your Dm has provided you with a decent dive expierience and his breifing and info was useful on the dive, reach into your pocket/purse and give the man or women a decent cash tip. I have seen a cheap basterd giving the the dms 3 bucks after the dm helped by fixing the guys free flowing regulator and showing the guy how to change his dive computer to the proper nitrox setting, besides changing the guy and his wifes tank out after the first dive and providing his sea sick wife early access to the water to help with her motion sickness. rule of thumb should be a minimum of $10 per tank. on the other hand if the dm is a cone and he is spending all his time chasing some bikini hottie around the boat and he doesnt do his job then dont tip and be sure to notify him and the dive shop owner of what happened most shop operators will fix this quickly.

$10 a TANK? Wow. On your average 3-4-tank day trip, that adds nearly 50% to the price of the trip!

I want to DM on your boat.

Standard tip amounts are a regional thing, I suppose. But unless I personally have received some sort of exceptional, over the top service, I don't tip more than $10 per day... nor would I expect more than that for my services.

I don't pay $10 tank for fills, unless perhaps they are Nitrox fills. I'm sure not going to pay $10 a tank over what I've already paid for the trip unless there is a damn good reason for it.

dallasdivergirl
09-12-2007, 13:37

$10 a TANK? Wow. On your average 3-4-tank day trip, that adds nearly 50% to the price of the trip!

I want to DM on your boat.

Standard tip amounts are a regional thing, I suppose. But unless I personally have received some sort of exceptional, over the top service, I don't tip more than $10 per day... nor would I expect more than that for my services.

I don't pay $10 tank for fills, unless perhaps they are Nitrox fills. I'm sure not going to pay $10 a tank over what I've already paid for the trip unless there is a damn good reason for it.

I tip around $10 per tank and I tip the boat captain as well. Last trip I gave $150 to the DM and $50 to the boat captain & $10 to the instructor who took me on one dive. If I get really good service, I will tip more.

I dated a DM (at a resort in Honduras) and I know what they get tipped and what they get paid. I have seen people leave $2 for the whole week of diving.

Doug B
09-12-2007, 21:04
If the DM and Boat Captain are good, my buddy and I will normally tip $5/tank.

If they're good... and you're planning on doing a lot of dives with them, chances are you're going to get a nearly empty boat during the week days during the off season (not on a weekend). If you tip good (and early in the week), they'll normally take extra good care of you (ie. special dives off the beaten path). Also, less chance they'll forget you and leave you in the water...!

If the DM and Boat Captain suck... I don't tip anything.

dmdoss
09-12-2007, 21:09
I don't care if you pee in your wetsuit, just don't pee in mine.:smiley36:

Athena2c
09-12-2007, 22:06
Take your picture and move on. Some of the rest of us might want a pic of that seahorse too
:smiley1:

Be aware of who is around you when swimming up to the ladder to reboard the boat. Can't tell you how many times I've been cut off!

And if you are the experienced one, give the newbie tips rather than just get mad. At our recent trip to Roatan, one gal took her wetsuit off and rinsed it in the mask rinse tank after every dive. People starting talking about it, but not to her. After the first day, I took her aside and talked to her about it. She was totally apologetic and didn't do it again. Problem solved.

bversteegh
09-12-2007, 23:23
When diving from a boat like a Zodiac where the crew lifts your bc and tank into the boat for you, hand up your weights first - especially weight integrated.

Say thank you - learn how in the native language if overseas.

Help steady divers when they enter/exit the boat if no one else is nearby. Especially on Liveaboards where you dive off tenders (zodiacs or semirigid inflatables) - the plastic pontoons are very slippery when wet.

coralcrazed
09-13-2007, 18:34
let the guy in front of you get in and out of the boat. givem plenty of time. no need to jump on someones head.

BuzzF117
11-26-2007, 20:24
Wow needed this in June of 07 and its from September and I find it in November....but good stuff none the less

mcc2318
11-29-2007, 01:00
watch your gear! I got hit in the head last time I was on a boat with a camera. The guy had a lanyard that was at least two ft to long!

Zenagirl
11-29-2007, 07:51

On many charters we've been on, if you're diving 2 tanks there should be a tank between every diver so that you can simply move your gear over one tank for the second dive. If this is the case then Divegirl was setting up her gear in the wrong place....but that never excuses jerks being rude. There's an easy and nice way to explain to someone that they're not following procedures.

TRACI
11-29-2007, 08:17
Luckily we have had such a large group on all of our trips, that our group was able to occupy the entire boat. These tips are good to know when diving with other divers that I do not know ;)

terrillja
11-29-2007, 10:34

My dad and I both bring wheeled duffels, but we have our dry suits, undergarments, dry gloves, wet gloves, etc, so we need the space.