PDA

View Full Version : Looking for reviews on the Suunto Gekko

MikeHart
09-06-2007, 20:49
I'm researching wrist computers and this one caught my eye. Any pros or cons on this one or any other one without a huge price tag?

MEL-DC Diver
09-06-2007, 21:06
Looks nice, but I don't think it can do the necessary math.

blue37
09-06-2007, 21:24
Depends if you want the pc compatability or not... I'm considering that vs the vyper2
the suunto website allows you to compare them side by side

thesmoothdome
09-06-2007, 21:31
Gekko's not a bad computer. Many people will chime in here that Suunto's algorithim is well on the conservative side. I currently dive a Suunto Cobra and in the past have dove the Solution (also own a Companion, which the wife dives) and yes, it's conservative, but they're good, solid computers. Others will say that they want to be able to set the level of conservativeness of the computer and a liberal computer allows you to do that. My question has always been, how many people actually, willingly make a computer more conservative? I'm not saying that a liberal computer will bend you, but wanting control over it is a weak argument. The truth is, most people want as much bottom time as they can muster and if a liberal computer will give it to them without them worrying, they'll go for it. I've dove more liberal computers in the past and never had a problem, but for some reason, I trust Suunto's algorithim a little more. Just my personal preference.

ian
09-06-2007, 22:31
Actually, the Gekko IS downloadable.

Here's a link to a set of programs that allow you to change an internal setting to "fool" the computer into thinking that it is takling to a Vytek when the two are linked.

Gekko Changer (http://home.gci.net/~liquidimagephoto/Suunto.htm)

Of course, the Gekko does NOT have an integrated pressure gauge so air presure data and SAC calcs cannot be done.

Other than that, the Gekko is a hardy computer that can stand up to a lot of abuse. It is used as a rental computer in many shops.

deepdiver47
09-07-2007, 07:11
I am a Suunto diver as well. I own a Vyper (primary) and a Mosquito (backup). And yes they are conservative but they have not prevented me from doing what I want to do. I trust these with my life as I don't do tables at all

Aussie
09-08-2007, 08:11
The Gekko is the same as the Vyper without a couple of options like backlighting.
Not bad computer to choose for your first. Wrist mounted is the way to go. I also recommend deepdivesupply bungee strap instead of the factory band.

Aussie

ian
09-08-2007, 11:18
Ah.. did you mean Divers Supply?

Try this link (http://www.divers-supply.com/) for them.

I typed in www.deepdiversupply.com (http://www.deepdiversupply.com) and got something...er...different.

Ian

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
09-08-2007, 12:20
While I don't have a lot of dives to use for reference I can tell you that my Gekko seems to be almost idiot proof. Which for me is a good thing. It has a setting that you can actually make it more conservitive if you want. It will keep a log of your dives I think up to 50 and then start to replace the oldest with the newest. I was told by many that it is a great entry level computer and so far I agree. I do wish it was Air Integrated and that it would naturally attach to a PC ( haven't tried the hack software yet) but other than that I haven't missed anything yet. I figure I'll use this for a year or so and then buy a compiuter that is AI and keep this as a backup.

somewhereinla
09-08-2007, 16:39
I anyone is interested I am selling a barely used Suunto Vyper:
http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=2158

Aussie
09-08-2007, 17:03
Ah.. did you mean Divers Supply?

Try this link (http://www.divers-supply.com/) for them.

I typed in www.deepdiversupply.com (http://www.deepdiversupply.com) and got something...er...different.

Ian

Sorry try deep sea supply

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=48

Aussie

jo8243
09-17-2007, 16:08
The Gekko is the same as the Vyper without a couple of options like backlighting.
Not bad computer to choose for your first. Wrist mounted is the way to go. I also recommend deepdivesupply bungee strap instead of the factory band.

Aussie

I love my Gecko and as far as the comment about the lack of a backlight -- I don't find that I wish for one. On night dives it glows enough to not be a problem for me.

ccarter
09-20-2007, 09:33

Aussie

I love my Gecko and as far as the comment about the lack of a backlight -- I don't find that I wish for one. On night dives it glows enough to not be a problem for me.

I've got about 50 dives on a Gekko and I have no complaints.. I've done ~10 night dives on it as well and can't say the lack of a backlight bothers me either. If you shine your light on it or keep it out in the sun all day the screen "charges up" and will stay pretty bright... It's not some tech diving computer though.. I pretty much only do > 100 ft, tropics/resort diving.

jo8243
09-20-2007, 10:19
Here's a pic of mine bungeed onto my scooter (attached).

ccarter
09-20-2007, 11:07
Here's a pic of mine bungeed onto my scooter (attached).
I have the mount from deepseasupply for my gekko as well but I usually leave it on my arm. Bungee is so much easier to deal with than the traditional strap that comes on gauges.. and compresses at depth.

keyshunter
09-21-2007, 05:49
I have both a Vyper and a Gekko. I carry both on every dive, and I think they are both excellent computers, albeit somewhat conservative. Backlights are terrible battery eaters. I find it much quicker to hit the face with the light from your dive light when you need to read it. For this reason, I use the Gekko as my primary on night dives.

plot
09-23-2007, 13:29
I'm nixing my vyper and getting something less conservative. Just something to keep in mind on the computer search...

The suuntu's are extremely easy to use though, just jump in the water and it turns on and starts doing it's thing.

Keiths
09-23-2007, 17:17
I had a Gekko for along time and never had a problem with it. Put it into Error mode a few times cause it is deff a conservative computer. Other then that I just got a Vyper2 for the deep stops and PC interface.

Ross
10-03-2007, 03:54
OK, so all the advice seems to be there really - I'd just add that the GEKKO has a great display, easy to read, and I am really pleased to have something that sits there, not complex, records what's going on [sometimes with embarrassment] and keeps a check on time and deco. It's also [a real benefit] none too costly, especially if like me you buy it as a special offer at a dive show - cost me less than half what my son paid for a Vyper2 and, as far as I can make out [and he's an IT professional, always in to the computer side] he's used his only for what I've done with the GEKKO - so who wants all this extra stuff? Oh, to improve the company profits, that's it!

Aussie
10-03-2007, 04:44
OK, so all the advice seems to be there really - I'd just add that the GEKKO has a great display, easy to read, and I am really pleased to have something that sits there, not complex, records what's going on [sometimes with embarrassment] and keeps a check on time and deco. It's also [a real benefit] none too costly, especially if like me you buy it as a special offer at a dive show - cost me less than half what my son paid for a Vyper2 and, as far as I can make out [and he's an IT professional, always in to the computer side] he's used his only for what I've done with the GEKKO - so who wants all this extra stuff? Oh, to improve the company profits, that's it!

your right its a great computer that does 100% of what 95% of divers really need.

Aussie

keyshunter
10-03-2007, 05:09

your right its a great computer that does 100% of what 95% of divers really need.

Aussie

I agree completely, Aussie.
Actually, in my opinion, that applies to name brand medium priced gear in general--computers, regs, bc's, etc.

unibrook
12-05-2008, 12:50
This is actually a good point worth pondering a bit. Since scuba is a rather life-or-death pastime every time you jump in, all of the gear is overbuilt for reliability...more than for other hobbies. I have been buying and diving used gear for decades with nary a prob. Another thing in your favor, if you are buying used gear, is that the person selling it was also relying on it and taking care of it as if his life was depending on it! So, stuff is generally treated well. Exceptions do occur, of course.

plot
12-05-2008, 16:56
That and if a computer fails in open water, you simply call the dive and that's that. Not really a life threatening situation if the dive is planned and you know when you've been in the water for 45 minutes and only have used 200lbs of air that something isn't functioning properly.

Jack Hammer
12-06-2008, 13:20
This is actually a good point worth pondering a bit. Since scuba is a rather life-or-death pastime every time you jump in, all of the gear is overbuilt for reliability...more than for other hobbies. I have been buying and diving used gear for decades with nary a prob. Another thing in your favor, if you are buying used gear, is that the person selling it was also relying on it and taking care of it as if his life was depending on it! So, stuff is generally treated well. Exceptions do occur, of course.
This thread is over a year old.

I've seen quite a bit of the opposite from you with used gear. IME, often it's been lying around in a pile for quite a long time. I've seen several divers who don't have any maintainance done to their equipment and seem to justify it because they only dive a few times a year, so they think no maintenance in necessary. Several items are listed something like "dove only 10 times," but when you check the item out it's 6 years old. I like buying used, but have learned to be very careful and research what it is and when it was made.

Jack

imasinker
12-06-2008, 16:12
I use a Suunto Cobra 2 and Gekko, I like them both. I dive with both of them and find I use the Gekko more. I have it bungeed to my wrist and it is really easy to use. The Gekko is a great computer for the price and you'll always be able to use it and travel with.