PDA

View Full Version : Computer Service Question

Flatliner
05-11-2010, 21:40
Question for you service guys. When you service a computer or SPG do you change the spindle or just replace the O-rings on it? I noticed a barely detectible leak from my son's cobra last night so I removed the QD and noticed everything was pretty gross that was under the housing/out of sight. I also determined that I used WAY to much Christalube 3 years ago when I added the QD. Just wondering if I need to order a new spindle or just throw the existing one in the ultrasonic for a bit.

On a related note. What O-rings (type and size) do I order for the spindle and for the hose connection?

comet24
05-11-2010, 22:09
Not a service tech but I have worked on my own gear. I just replace the spindle when there is a problem on a HP gauge. They are not much. Not sure if you can get just the o rings anyway. When you lube up o rings put just a little on them, wipe it around the entire o ring with you finger covering the entire o ring with lube while wiping off any excess. The o ring should look shinny/wet but you shouldn't see any accumulation of lube. A little goes along ways and to much just causes problems.

No Misses
05-12-2010, 06:37
Many of the o-ring kits have HP spindle 0-rings. I bought a few spindles w/o-rings installed for my save a dive kit. They are inexpensive.

wheelman
05-12-2010, 07:46
Spools are cheap but you can just replace the o-rings -003 is the size, the ones I have in my kit are -003 75 duro, (mil spec M83248/1 viton 75 durometer)

Flatliner
05-12-2010, 10:20
Thanks guys. I probably have the right ones in my save a dive kit, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something...

Chilly
05-12-2010, 12:17
Not a service tech but I have worked on my own gear. I just replace the spindle when there is a problem on a HP gauge. They are not much. Not sure if you can get just the o rings anyway. When you lube up o rings put just a little on them, wipe it around the entire o ring with you finger covering the entire o ring with lube while wiping off any excess. The o ring should look shinny/wet but you shouldn't see any accumulation of lube. A little goes along ways and to much just causes problems.

Just another technique as I can't cite a technical manual reference. My reg tech recommended that for dynamic seals such as an air spool, to lubricate such that the "lubricant is replenished as the seal rotates". Definitely more than the "wet" look.

Any tech manual recommendations otherwise?