PDA

View Full Version : What Should I do?

Stingray Brett
09-06-2007, 21:11
What Would be best to do do padi adventure diving? or padi advanced diving? Which one first or which one only

Bigg_Budd
09-06-2007, 21:13
NAUI Advanced. :)

Stingray Brett
09-06-2007, 21:21
OH Sorry i didnt post this im PADi so

MEL-DC Diver
09-06-2007, 21:21
IIRC, Padi Adventure is just a portion of AOW. If that's right, I don't see the point in it. Just do AOW - it is basically 5 different speciality dives.

Stingray Brett
09-06-2007, 21:22
Ok thanks ill look into it im still trying to get all of my gear still so that costs a bundle

Capt Hook
09-06-2007, 22:22
It does't matter if it's PADI or NAUI, the certs are basically interchangeable.

finflippers
09-06-2007, 22:28
OH Sorry i didnt post this im PADi so

Unless you just want to stay with PADI it doesn't matter you can cross train with your certs. I am NAUI open water, PADI advanced open water, and SSI nitrox.

Now to just figure out who I want to go with for my next cert :smiley36:

Stingray Brett
09-07-2007, 05:30
OH cool but does it make a difference really?

RikRaeder
09-07-2007, 05:49
It only makes a difference in that people certified through other agencies will dog you for having PADI. If you're interested in learning more about a particular kind of diving (eg: night, wreck) and getting a certification for it but are not sure if it's for you then try some adventure dives. If you know what you want to do, I say forget the adventure dives and get the cert, or take your advanced cert at a place that will let you do the kind of dives you want as electives for your AOW.

Stingray Brett
09-07-2007, 05:53
Ok thanks

Phestr
09-07-2007, 07:52
If you know what you want to do, I say forget the adventure dives and get the cert, or take your advanced cert at a place that will let you do the kind of dives you want as electives for your AOW.

I fully agree. The only dives you are required to do for PADI AOW is Navigation and Deep. THe other three are your choice. Now you may run into a LDS that only teaches certain Specialties, but that's the only limitation. Getting the cert and applying that to the AOW is good advice, but can get expensive. If you do go for Adventure Diver, it's three dives, and then you send in the PIC. Those Three dives count toward AOW, so you only have to do 2 more. Then, when you are ready, the dives count toward their respective Specialties. So, it's up to you, but if you take it as s step approach, you'll work your way upward.

As for others making fun of PADI, who cares. I'm diving.

Warby
09-08-2007, 00:34
My advice would be to skip the adventure diver (its not really a qualification that is taken seriously) and go for the advanced open water. Like has been said the adventure is on the way to advanced so you might as well go all the way.
More importantly is to get a good instructor regardless of whether they are PADI, NAUI, etc etc. Sit down with a potential instructor and go over how they carry out the AOW. My instructor for advanced was crap and nearly put me off diving for good. My instructor for Rescue Diver was a world of difference and was very thorough. The compulsory dives are Nav and Deep and I would recommend Peak Performance Buoyancy, Search and Rescue and a Night Dive as your electives. They will stand you in good stead as you start your next diving phase. I would avoid any instructor that suggests a boat dive as an elective, it always strikes me as a copout.
Have great fun and good luck with your course!

Stingray Brett
09-08-2007, 07:34
Yea i might as well do advanced but itll probably not be for a while

For Nitrox Whats the miniumum age? i saw one for 15 then i saw one for 10?

Xspect
09-08-2007, 09:50
When getting our AOW. The wife couldnt do the deep dive (ear infection) But the instructor gave her a and adventure card. When we go out again and do a deep dive she will do a deep dive she will be AOW.

Charles R
09-08-2007, 10:01
Yea i might as well do advanced but itll probably not be for a while

For Nitrox Whats the miniumum age? i saw one for 15 then i saw one for 10?

You must be 15 for Enriched Air Nitrox per PADI not sure about the other agencies 10 is minimum age for a Jr OW cert!

Stingray Brett
09-08-2007, 11:05
I want to do nitrox and night but i dont think im old enough for nitrox