PDA

View Full Version : Beaver Lake

Bigg_Budd
05-15-2010, 14:30
Just finished up 2 dives with Vlane and his buddy Lou. A little cold, but the viz was around 35+. Not bad for a lake.

We dove the bluffs - hit the sailboat on dive one and the pontoon on dive 2. All in all, a great day of diving...

Flatliner
05-15-2010, 16:25
Budd,

Any interest in diving the first week of June. I will be down with my two middle kids (10 and 13) and my dad (who is a fisherman). I am planning on shore diving but would love to do some boat dives with C&J if there are some other people who would like to do so.

Robert

BUDMAN
05-15-2010, 16:41
thanks for the info:smiley20:

going to Beaver next week for 4 days and was wondering about the vis

how was the water level up or down?

see many fish or other critters?

wheelman
05-15-2010, 16:43
Good viz, nice. I was wondering with all the rain we had how it would be this weekend. Flatliner, if you let me know the dates I think I will be able to dive some that week too. Let me know.

Flatliner
05-15-2010, 17:01
We will be there 6/1 through 6/6. I must warn everyone. My daughter will have just finished her OW so we may be the muck monster family as dive buddies. She's actually doing pretty good at this point but she is a new diver...

If anyone would be interested in arranging a boat dive with us let me know what days would work best for you and I will call Jim. It doesn't matter to us but I would prefer to avoid Sunday the 6th.

Bigg_Budd
05-15-2010, 17:08
flat - i'll definitely meet up with you guys. i have a boat, if you wanna dive something other than the bluffs.

budman - water level was average. sailboat was at ~48 feet. not a ton of critters, just perch and crawfish. i did see a pretty big largemouth bass...

wheelman - when's the next weekend you'd be up for heading out?

Bigg_Budd
05-15-2010, 17:14
snap! i was just informed, by my wife, that we are heading to dallas that weekend. looks like i'll miss this one...

wheelman
05-15-2010, 19:08
FL, no worries, its just for fun or there isn't any point. Not sure what your daily schedule will be but I should be able to make an afternoon or two.

Budd, I think this weekend looks good for me. Brian said he might be up for Sat. too.

Flatliner
05-15-2010, 20:58
The sailboat was at 48'? I think it was closer to 80' the last time I dove it...

navyhmc
05-15-2010, 23:35
Damn! Wish I could make it down there. Buut Noooo I have to work every bloody weekend!

CWSWine
05-16-2010, 06:26
Water temp at Beaver yesterday (15 May) was 62 degress at the surface with 3 to 5 foot viz and 47 degrees at 80 with 20 to 25.foot viz. That was at the picnic area across the lake from the Bluffs. C&J has a high pressure fill station for HP tanks this year, no more 2700 fills in hp tank.

Bigg_Budd
05-16-2010, 06:33
The sailboat was at 48'? I think it was closer to 80' the last time I dove it...

sorry. houseboat at 48, sailboat at 78.

Flatliner
05-16-2010, 06:54
Cool, I have never dove the houseboat...

Bigg_Budd
05-16-2010, 07:03
Cool, I have never dove the houseboat...

it looks just like a boat, but underwater. :)

BUDMAN
05-16-2010, 07:08
the map I have of Beaver doesn't list the houseboat location

care to share?:smiley20:

Bigg_Budd
05-16-2010, 07:12
do you know the submerged pecan tree at the entry of the bluffs? take a heading 110 from that tree and you will find it at ~48 feet.

c&j sunk it a couple of years ago, so it's in real good condition. not too much silt/sediment. i bet it was a sweet boat in it's day. one hell of a party barge...

i left an old school budweiser can on the bow. a little calling card to say "BIGG_BUDD wuz here"...

fire diver
05-16-2010, 07:50
Not familiar with the pecan tree. Where is it in relation to the ramp?

Bigg_Budd
05-16-2010, 08:20
if you are on the road looking down, it would be to the right of the ramp. it's a tree, sticking out of the water. the only one in that area.

bottomdweller
05-16-2010, 08:58
Beachbum shediver & I will be camping at indian creek campground the 28th, 29th, & 30th. Memorial day weekend.
We will be diving every day that weekend, if anyone wants to meet up & dive. You still planning to dive that weekend Budd?

Bigg_Budd
05-16-2010, 09:08
yes - bottomdweller. budd and the mighty USS Banana Pancakes will be out that weekend. i plan on being on the lake, in some form or fashion, friday through monday...

many dives be done. many dogs will be grilled. many beers will be drank...

Flatliner
05-16-2010, 09:55
yes - bottomdweller. budd and the mighty USS Banana Pancakes will be out that weekend. i plan on being on the lake, in some form or fashion, friday through monday...

many dives be done. many dogs will be grilled. many beers will be drank...

I need to check with household-6 perhaps we can come down before the first.

bottomdweller
05-16-2010, 12:23
Beachbum, 417diver, & I are going to BonneTerre mine for the treasure hunt on the 5th. We are leaving the 4th or we would come back to Beaver that weekend.

Vlane
05-16-2010, 13:03
Jason beat me to it. We had 2 great dives yesterday with fairly good vis. The vis really cleared up around 30', the rain messed up the first 30'. Here's Bigg (left) and I on the houseboat:
http://imgur.com/qGd82.jpg
Then, here's a swim through of the houseboat, Bigg is the one with the yellow pony. Houseboat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D3VD5KuuA8)

Flatliner I might be up for some dives in June if you're still looking for someone. If you're wanting to do boat dives just let me know the cost and I'll see if I'm able to.

Flatliner
05-16-2010, 13:21
Vlane. I would love to have you join us for a dive or two. Hopefully this time my ears will cooperate.

Question for all you regulars. Will a 5mm be OK by the 1st of June? My daughter will be diving a 7mm so I want to have less than her so I get cold somewhere around the same time as her.

Vlane
05-16-2010, 14:48
I'm guessing by the first of June the surface temp will still be in the mid to upper 60s so if you can handle that in a 5mm you should be fine. Any ideas on the kinds of dives you're maybe wanting to do? If you're wanting to stay shallower for the little ones I don't know a whole lot to do so you may need to call C&J and ask them.

Bigg_Budd
05-16-2010, 16:41
nice brian! dig the vid, bro...

flat - 7mm+ past 40 feet. that's my advice.

Flatliner
05-16-2010, 18:45
With all my bioprene I am usually pretty warm. I did 44F last week in a 5mm and was OK but if I had gone much past 30 min I would have been ready to be done.

Vlane, I would like to stay above 60 for most dives but my dad is coming so I don't HAVE to do every dive with the kidos... Kinda planning an early morning solo every day prior to diving with the munchkins. I may bring my drysuit BUT I don't know if I will have time to change the zipper before then.

Vlane
05-16-2010, 22:30
If you want to stay above 60' then we can do the houseboat and some of the stuff to the left of the launch ramp in the North Park area, if we can find them haha. For boat dives I know the foundations is above 60 and everything in the copter cove area but the plane, it's probably around 65'.

Bigg and Bottom I'd definitely be up for some Friday and possibly Sunday dives on Memorial weekend. I wouldn't be able to get to the lake on Friday until about 4:30 or so but if you guys are up for it I'd be down for a night or dusk dive.

maverick
05-16-2010, 22:54
Going 2 go diving on the west coast in June.

Bigg_Budd
05-17-2010, 05:49
Bigg and Bottom I'd definitely be up for some Friday and possibly Sunday dives on Memorial weekend. I wouldn't be able to get to the lake on Friday until about 4:30 or so but if you guys are up for it I'd be down for a night or dusk dive.

by 4:30 PM on friday, i will be three sheets to the wind. we are planning on heading out in the AM, doing two tanks, then relaxing on the boat with some adult beverages for the remainder of the day.

however, sunday sounds promising...

Bigg_Budd
05-23-2010, 10:24
Wheelman and myself hit the bluffs yesterday. Water temps are up a good 7 degrees since last weekend. Surface temp was ~69, water was ~59 at the sailboat.

Viz was crap until we hit 20. It really opened up after 35.

I tried to find the houseboat, but must have overshot it. Next time...

Here is a pic of wheelman with his perch attracting gloves...

Vlane
05-23-2010, 13:11
Glad you guys had some good dives. I was bummed I wasn't able to go with this freak cold so I'll try to make it next time.

Could you PM me the dive info from the dives we did a week ago since I forgot my computer Bigg?

wheelman
05-23-2010, 13:45
We had some really good dives, Missed ya vlane, next time we go from the boat Budd! Hope you and the family had a great afternoon.

Splitlip
05-23-2010, 14:11
Wheelman and myself hit the bluffs yesterday. Water temps are up a good 7 degrees since last weekend. Surface temp was ~69, water was ~59 at the sailboat.

Viz was crap until we hit 20. It really opened up after 35.

I tried to find the houseboat, but must have overshot it. Next time...

Here is a pic of wheelman with his perch attracting gloves...

Funny you say that Jason. My Buddy Roger and I were playing with his Oly yesterday afternoon and evening. I had the float, but forgot a hook, so while he was flying around like a kid in a candystore using his new strobe, I was essentially just hanging.

Anyway, I was hovering about a foot above a debris pile and I spotted a pair of Triggerfish near by. I tried to signal Roger and pointed to the fish. The damned fish zeroed in on my finger (in a black and gray deep see glove). No matter where I moved my hand they gracefully stayed with it (although 2 inches or so off it).

did these creatures see me as a god? I think yes.

navyhmc
05-24-2010, 14:10
did these creatures see me as a god? I think yes.

:smilie39:

Where are these fish? We must educate them as to the REAL splitlip...:smiley36:

Flatliner
05-25-2010, 08:03
Looks like we will be there later on Monday. I realize it's a work week and all but does anyone want to try to do a boat dive on the lake with C&J during the week?

wheelman
05-25-2010, 16:31
Looks like we will be there later on Monday. I realize it's a work week and all but does anyone want to try to do a boat dive on the lake with C&J during the week?

What day are you thinking?

Vlane
05-25-2010, 17:35
I'm off on Monday but I'm not sure what I'm going to be up to just yet. I'm good for dives during the weekdays depending on what I have going on after work, I get off at 3 and could be there around 4 to dive if I'm free.

Bigg_Budd
05-25-2010, 19:01
are you guys talking about memorial day? if so, i'm all in.

Flatliner
05-27-2010, 12:27
All,

It looks like we will be there Sunday night. We are staying at C&J. Anybody who would like to get together, please PM me with your cell phone number and I will PM back with mine.

Budd, Would love to hop on your boat for a dive or two on Memorial day or do boat dives with C&J.

Everybody be forewarned though, my daughter finishes her OW saturday so she will be VERY new.

Bigg_Budd
05-29-2010, 09:05
only one boat dive yesterday, due to the need to consume massive amounts of beer. did copter cove - viz is crap for the first 20 feet. opened up fine and we had a great dive.

surface temp is up 7 degrees since last weekend -78 degrees. still a bit nipply at depth, ~56 degrees.

we're heading back out today. probably do one dive, thinking starkey island. peace!

wheelman
05-29-2010, 11:00
Are you guys going Monday morning?

Bigg_Budd
05-30-2010, 02:23
thinking about it. i may still have company at the house, so i'm tentative...

Flatliner
05-30-2010, 11:01
FYI, We had a slight change of plans and won't be there until late on Monday now. Had a conflict with my dad's schedule.