PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium diver

Davetowz
05-17-2010, 18:50
I have heard rumors of a PADI aquarium diver cert. The National Aquarium in Baltimore I think. Does anyone know anything about this?
Thanks.

vegas911diver
05-17-2010, 20:48
There are some locations (such as aquariums) that can come up with an outline and offer a "distinctive specialty". This specialty is often unique to a specific venue or activity, and may be looked upon as just a novelty.

Here is a list from a PADI Blog of approved "Distinctive Specialties"

PADI Instructors have offered some very creative specialties over the years. I dug through the distinctive specialty archives and here are a few of my favorites:

Underwater model
Aquanaut
Underwater Pilot
Helicopter Diver
Lava Tube Diver
Loch Diver
Submarine Diver
Available Light Underwater Photo
Zen Diver
Backpack propulsion
Golf Ball Diver
Spacesuit Diver
Sinkhole Diver
Future Perfect Diver
Magnetometer Diver
Millennium Diver
Railroad Yard Diver
Sand Pit Diving
Underwater Game Player
Underwater Hockey
Underwater Wedding
Y2K Scuba Historian

vegas911diver
05-17-2010, 20:51
You can also add in there

Full Face Mask Diver
Hunter Diver

It is a nice way for an Instructor to come up with a guide, format and lesson plans. PADI can reserve the right to approve or deny the application, but as you can see from the list above, there are some unique ones out there

diversteve
05-18-2010, 01:15
Scuba Dive in the National Aquarium in Baltimore (http://www.iwanttodive.com/training_aquarium.shtml)

Link to the PADI Specialty Aquarium Diver info: Atlantic Edge - Register for Scuba Diving Classes (http://www.iwanttodive.com/product.php?productid=17138)

comet24
05-18-2010, 05:40
Atlantic Edge runs the Aquarium Diver program at the National Aquarium in Baltimore. When you go through the program you have the option of getting the Aquarium Diver cert. Basically by going through the half day program you qualify for the cert. and to receive it you just have to pay a fee for the PIC. The cost for the class doesn't include the cert.

This is a amazing class and you get to do two very fun dives. The class consist of a lecture/power point on the what you will see during your dive, the aquariums effects in our area and the dive procedures for the aquarium. You also get a tour of the tanks you will be diving in before the dives. Then you get two 30 minute dives. One in the Atlantic Coral Reef exhibit and one in the Wings in the Water exhibit.

For gear your only need mask, fins, wetsuit and booties. All the other gear is provided by the aquarium.

Scuba Dive in the National Aquarium in Baltimore (http://www.atlanticedge.com/training_aquarium.shtml)

chilly willy
05-18-2010, 07:40
I'm not sure about Baltimore, but here are the requirements for volunteering at the Aquarium Of The Pacific.

Exhibit Diver Duties: Divers at the Aquarium of the Pacific get up close and personal with the residents of the largest habitats. They assist the Aquarists by feeding the animals and observing their behaviors. Divers spend a lot of time cleaning the artificial rock and coral, using a variety of tools from toothbrushes to power washers. With additional training, divers may qualify to participate in on-mike presentations to our guests. Eighteen teams of divers keep the exhibits clean and the animals fed. Teams are scheduled every morning and afternoon in addition to four evenings each week.
Qualifications: Dive volunteers must be Rescue Certified and have no less than 50 logged open water dives. They must also be at least 18 years old and be able to pass an AAUS physical. In addition to the medical exam, applicants must pass a written knowledge test, a water buoyancy test, and complete three Saturdays of training. They must also have current CPR/FA/AED/O2 certifications
SCUBA certified - rescue diver level
50 logged dives
current CPR certification
pass written test
in-water skills & buoyancy test
Minimum age:18

josh7284
05-18-2010, 08:42
ever dive the georgia aquarium? i hear its cool

comet24
05-18-2010, 08:48
I'm not sure about Baltimore, but here are the requirements for volunteering at the Aquarium Of The Pacific.

Good info.

I think the OP was asking about the program where certified divers can take a class and dive in the aquarium. Baltimore has both programs but the info I listed earlier is for the quest diver program where certified divers can dive there.

They also have a volunteer diver program which is much more involved and requires one full day every other week for at least a year. This the the program where you clean the tanks and feed the fish.

brojack17
05-18-2010, 09:26

Exhibit Diver Duties: Divers at the Aquarium of the Pacific get up close and personal with the residents of the largest habitats. They assist the Aquarists by feeding the animals and observing their behaviors. Divers spend a lot of time cleaning the artificial rock and coral, using a variety of tools from toothbrushes to power washers. With additional training, divers may qualify to participate in on-mike presentations to our guests. Eighteen teams of divers keep the exhibits clean and the animals fed. Teams are scheduled every morning and afternoon in addition to four evenings each week.
Qualifications: Dive volunteers must be Rescue Certified and have no less than 50 logged open water dives. They must also be at least 18 years old and be able to pass an AAUS physical. In addition to the medical exam, applicants must pass a written knowledge test, a water buoyancy test, and complete three Saturdays of training. They must also have current CPR/FA/AED/O2 certifications
SCUBA certified - rescue diver level
50 logged dives
current CPR certification
pass written test
in-water skills & buoyancy test
Minimum age:18

Wow, I dive at the Oklahoma Aquarium in Jenks, OK. We just need OW cert and no minimum dive log. They do a check dive, but that's it. Our tank is not huge though. 65,000 and 12 ft deep. We Snuba.

russp
08-12-2010, 00:16
Aquarena Springs in San Marcos, TX offers a "Diving for Science" certification. Haven't had a chance to take it yet but it's a weekend of both class and water work and prepares you for diving in sensative environments.