PDA

View Full Version : How do you decide on your first one?

danielh03
09-06-2007, 23:21
Whats a good dive computer for my first one? Wrist or boot? I have seen a few that I like, ones wrist, one fits into a boot, and is air intergrated worth the money?

finflippers
09-06-2007, 23:55
One thing to think about not mentioned would be Nitrox capabilities.

I do know on my next one I would like to have a wrist mount I think that would be better then having to pull my gauges up every time I want to look at it. It will also be a Nitrox computer.

danielh03
09-06-2007, 23:57
Most of the models I have looked at have both Nitrox and Air. Do most of them have the same features?

Zenagirl
09-07-2007, 07:08
You definitely want to get nitrox compatible, even if you don't do nitrox for a couple of years. There's no point in having to buy a new computer when/if you go to nitrox.

For me the decision was rather easy, I wanted an AI computer so I could have all of my information in one place. I also like the dive time remaining feature that tells me either when I'm going to get low on air or NDL, whichever is first. At the time there wasn't any such thing as a hoseless computer, so I never had to consider that. Then I knew I didn't want a more conservative computer, so the Suuntos were eliminated. I wanted bigger numbers and a somewhat compact computer, and after speaking with Larry, he recommended the Aeris AI. Nearly 150 dives later and I have NO regrets. :D

Everyone has different desires, requirements, and feelings about computers, so it's a matter of figuring out what you want and finding a match.

Capt Hook
09-07-2007, 13:56
My preference is wrist mount, nitrox, non-AI.

Charles R
09-07-2007, 14:00
Non AI Wrist mount is the way I choose I started with a AI Console but did not like having to keep pulling it up to see depth and time.

mulefeathers
09-07-2007, 14:17
I bought my first this week. Oceanic VT3. Wrist mount AI nitrox with all the bells and whistles. I looked at the non-AI Veo 250 computer because I wanted something simple to use but I started playing with both in the LDS and found that the while the VT3 appears complicated at first but after about 15 minutes it is not that hard.

While the VT3 is more than I think I will ever need. ( maybe not don't know for sure) but the money was not that much different in the long run and I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon.

wxboy911
09-07-2007, 14:51
For my first computer I am going with one of these..

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/search_results.asp?iLevel=1&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=mares+m2

OR

http://www.mares.com/product_detail.php?id=227&region=USA

Its got just about everything except AI and its not too tough on the budget.

Scubacookie
09-07-2007, 15:48
http://www.mares.com/product_detail....227&region=USA

This is the one I am looking at also, Has anyone actually purchased it??

finflippers
09-07-2007, 17:48
http://www.mares.com/product_detail....227&region=USA

This is the one I am looking at also, Has anyone actually purchased it??

That link isn't working

CompuDude
09-07-2007, 19:14
Well, I loved her, and she loved me...

Oh, wait, I should read more than the subject line. ;)

My preference is wrist mount, all the way. AI or non-AI depending on the size of your wallet. It's not necessary. But it's nice.

Just give serious consideration to an analog backup if you decide to go wireless AI - don't go to WAI to eliminate a hose.

blue37
09-08-2007, 17:39
Silly question perhaps, but how does the AI work with a wrist computer... transmitter?

finflippers
09-08-2007, 18:00
Silly question perhaps, but how does the AI work with a wrist computer... transmitter?

transmitter is screwed into your HP port. Here is a link to one. http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Atom2.0Computer

Kidder
09-08-2007, 18:04
I have an air intergrated VT3 and love it. I have used the buddy check to see how much air is in my buddy's tank when he was test driving a VT pro. Its just kidda cool to have it all right there

blue37
09-09-2007, 19:02
Thanks finflippers...

Aussie
09-09-2007, 19:21
It comes down to money. How much money do you have to spend on it? I prefer the wrist computer, non AI (i believe not worth the extra $$$) and a nice glass/brass SPG. I like the Suunto Gekko, Vyper, Vytec in the large wrist mounted computers or maybe the D6 ot D9 for the watch style computer.
I did buy an old Aladin pro for $100 and its basic but bullet proof.

Aussie

finflippers
09-09-2007, 19:28
Thanks finflippers...

Your welcome I hope that link was able to answer everything for you. I have never used an AI before so that is as much as I know about them. But hopefully will be trying one out in the future.

deepdiver47
09-09-2007, 19:41
I agree, it comes down to money. And then you need to decide wrist vs console. IMO, wrist is more natural since most people wear watches. I have 2 wrist mounted computers (Vyper and Mosquito). I will normally tuck my SPG inside my bcd as I do not like clips.

Bring the Payne
09-16-2007, 17:58
I chose a non AI wrist mount (Veo 250) due to ease of use and honestly I prefer the analog SPG. I'd hate to have something go wrong with the computer and lose my pressure reading capabilities.

jo8243
09-17-2007, 16:02
Get a Suunto Gecko. Can't go wrong there. Wrist or Boot. I even mount it to my scooter sometimes.