PDA

View Full Version : womens wetsuit

Ocean
07-13-2007, 00:22
I'm a newbie to the scuba world and I'm trying to find out about gear. First stop is the wetsuit. I purchased a NeoSport 3mm that has a great fit. (tried a few others @ ST) I also ordered the Mares Tropic which was a great fit except seals: @ ankles and wrist (rather important) were 1/2in loose and the arm length was ridiculously long - it came to my first knuckle just off my fingertips! I realize the fit may not be perfect off the rack but are there any "dream suits" out there that are better quality, reasonably priced, and tend to run true-to-size? Maybe more realistically, one that is customer preferred? I am keeping the Neosport as a must-have for a trip to the Bahamas soon but will be looking for "my suit" once back home. - maybe just wear out the Neo first? Also, any opinions on what comes next? BC? Reg? (Have fins and mask) Thanks for the help and info!

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 02:16
Some women are lucky enough to fit off the rack. Women's body shapes and sizes vary more than men's, however, so custom suits are a good option, and usually not much (if any) more than a good high end off-the-rack suit.

I've heard good feedback about: http://www.liquidfit.com

Ocean
07-13-2007, 22:35
Thanks for the link. I'll look into it. Do u happen to know how much $ these kinds of wetsuits run? I know there are bell and whistles to add but I'm asking about a ballpark figure here. Also, are there any hints/tips in buying a custom suit or do u just assume they know what they are doing?</font>

CompuDude
07-14-2007, 05:03
No clue re cost, but a quick call will take care of that.

They know what they're doing.

georoc01
07-14-2007, 10:23
My lady friends swear by the Henderson Hyperstretch suits.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>To me, Reg is first before even a suit as I am more concerned with breathing than getting cold. Of course, I worked out one of those packages where I ended up with my reg, BC and computer all at once!</DIV>

Zenagirl
07-20-2007, 19:57
I swear by the Henderson Hyperstretch suits...they really do a great job of fitting so many different body types well. They're also so much easier to don and doff when either wet or dry.
<DIV>When are you going to the Bahamas? We just got back from a 2 week trip and honestly, a 3mm was too thick of a suit. I tend to run colder and will wear a 5mm full suit in 79 degree water, but the water was pretty consistently 84-85 degrees in the Bahamas and we often went without a wetsuit (and we were diving 4x a day).</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>We're talking about 2 weeks in Bonaire next summer and I'm thinking of buying a microprene for that trip instead of bothering with my 3mm.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>As far as what to buy next, talk with Joe orLarry...I'll bet they can put together a package of regs/BC for you that will be affordable so you can get it all at once.</DIV>

Vercingetorix
07-21-2007, 13:31
Look at the Henderson Thermoprene at ST. I bought a 3mm. Very stretchy, very comfortable. Less cost than Hyperstretch.

tx.lakerat
07-27-2007, 08:49
I have tried different wet suites over the years and hands down the Henderson Hyperstretch is my favorite suite. Easy to get in and out of and gives to your body. Well worth the money I've paid for them!

Queen
07-27-2007, 08:53
I have tried different wet suites over the years and hands down the Henderson Hyperstretch is my favorite suite. Easy to get in and out of and gives to your body. Well worth the money I've paid for them!

I'm going to have to give them a serious look when my Bare bites the dust.

TAH 73
07-27-2007, 09:18
NeoSport and Henderson are the same company, so if you find that the Neosport suit you have fit's well, the idea is the Henderson suit should have a similar fit, as they possibly could use the same size cuts.

CompuDude
07-27-2007, 13:28
NeoSport and Henderson are the same company, so if you find that the Neosport suit you have fit's well, the idea is the Henderson suit should have a similar fit, as they possibly could use the same size cuts.
Ture, but that's like saying Toyota and Lexus are the same company. They are, but there's a difference. Better materials, etc. Frequently different factories, even. I wouldn't trust they use the same cuts... try it on to be sure. Also a nice stretchy Henderson hyperstretch is going to fit very differently from a bottom of the line Neosport, even if they were cut the same way.

TAH 73
07-27-2007, 15:07
"the idea is the Henderson suit should have a similar fit"
They also use the same sizing charts. Could be a good stating point.
never said thay would fit exactly he same.
Never been to the Toyota factory, but 2hrs ago I was in one of the Honda assembly plants, and even though Honda/Acura are different "companies" they share technology, share engeneering, and even though they have different seat fabrics, deep inside they are the same parts, just some different external fluff (hyperstretch, better zippers etc...)

I also have experience with family working in the garment industry, large scale production uses dies to cut fabric, which are expensive to produce, therefore, wherever they can have multiple uses, they will.
Anyways back to the topic....

PhD4JC
11-23-2007, 09:52
I purchased by BC after my wet suit b/c i am hard to fit and had some trouble with a BC that would not let me use the air hose to get rid of air in my vest so i ended up with 2 run-away ascents.
Then i got my regulator b/c i dont like the idea of using other people's regulators with other peoples saliva and i had a regulator problem in Mexico where my spare didnt work.
I got my computer this past year so that I can dive NiTROX.
The order that you get your gear will depend on what you want and what your priorities are...