PDA

View Full Version : Like AL100 over AL80

brojack17
05-29-2010, 17:15
So I am a new diver and an air hog. I'm also a big guy and need a lot of weight to get me down. I really like the AL100 over the AL80. I didn't seen to "cork" as bad at the end of the dive and liked feeling the weight on my back rather than hanging from my hips.

rustyshakelford
05-29-2010, 17:36
i would look into buying a steel tank. itll take some weight off your belt and you can get pretty good sized tanks thatll keep you going to your NDL

brett

chilly willy
05-29-2010, 17:43
You would be even happier with a HP steel, better buoyancy characteristics and you can get them from 80-130 cu ft for popular sizes.

Search a few threads and you'll see a lot of input on this subject.

Splitlip
05-29-2010, 18:25
Go steel. Smaller, weigh less and have better buoyancy characteristics.

navyhmc
05-29-2010, 18:48
I'm with the others Go Steel! You won't regret it. Well, you;ll regret not doing it earlier....

You don't have to double them either. I would however recommend HP over LP due to the size issue.

brojack17
05-29-2010, 19:30
Yeah, I agree. I picked up a steel 72, but it needs work. I have picked up the AL100's fairly cheap, I can get two used for less than the price of one steel. Since my whole family wants to dive, I'm picking up gear when and where I can as cheap as I can. So far, I have 1 AL100 & 3 AL80's. The AL100 is setup for Nitrox.

DMWiz
05-29-2010, 19:34
All new divers are air hogs unless you're a female or a smaller guy and there's nothing to be ashamed of specially if you're bigger guy like you say. If you would like longer dives I would suggest a steel 100 or larger if you must. I enjoy the X8-130s they may seem like overkill at first but with a bit more experience you maybe able to get a pair of dives off of one tank.

brojack17
05-29-2010, 19:42
All new divers are air hogs unless you're a female or a smaller guy and there's nothing to be ashamed of specially if you're bigger guy like you say. If you would like longer dives I would suggest a steel 100 or larger if you must. I enjoy the X8-130s they may seem like overkill at first but with a bit more experience you maybe able to get a pair of dives off of one tank.

I tend to really suck the air at the beginning of my dive when I am concentrating on other things (Buoyancy, equalization, etc.). When we reach depth and I notice my computer saying I am really sucking air, I tend to slow down my breathing then.

Soonerwink
05-29-2010, 20:28
Hey Jack there is member of our club that has a steel 130 that was given to him by a dive shop. He has never used it that I am aware of. I am not even sure he has made a dive in the last 2 to 3 years. It probably will need vip. The hydro should still be good on it. Shoot me an email or call me and I will give you his name. He may even be up to a trade. He thought the 130 was too heavy to carry to dive sites. Oh by the way he makes you look small.

brojack17
05-29-2010, 20:48
Thanks Todd. I'll get in touch with you.

navyhmc
05-29-2010, 20:50
Hey Jack there is member of our club that has a steel 130 that was given to him by a dive shop. He has never used it that I am aware of. I am not even sure he has made a dive in the last 2 to 3 years. It probably will need vip. The hydro should still be good on it. Shoot me an email or call me and I will give you his name. He may even be up to a trade. He thought the 130 was too heavy to carry to dive sites. Oh by the way he makes you look small.

If Jack doesn't want it and he's willing to sell at a low price, I'd be interested.... :smiley20:

ianr33
05-29-2010, 21:32
Totally agree with all the suggestions for a steel tank.

I tend to really suck the air at the beginning of my dive when I am concentrating on other things (Buoyancy, equalization, etc.). When we reach depth and I notice my computer saying I am really sucking air, I tend to slow down my breathing then.

What temp water are you diving? If its much less than the air temp (or if the tank is hot from being just filled) the pressure will drop like a rock at the start of a dive.

One neat thing about diving Florida caves in the winter is the pressure can go UP at the start of a dive :smiley1:

brojack17
05-29-2010, 22:41

What temp water are you diving? If its much less than the air temp (or if the tank is hot from being just filled) the pressure will drop like a rock at the start of a dive.

One neat thing about diving Florida caves in the winter is the pressure can go UP at the start of a dive :smiley1:

water is in the 60's. I do notice I start the dive at around 2600 on an AL80.

rustyshakelford
05-30-2010, 06:03

going off memory, but isnt is 10 psi for 1 degress temp difference?

brett

ianr33
05-30-2010, 09:27
Just checked on this. It's the absolute (Kelvin) temperature that matters.

80F is the same temperature as 300K .

A change of 2F is (very roughly) a change of 1K (or a change of 1C )

1% decrease would happen with a drop of 3K which is about 6F

Starting with 3000 psi that gives a 30 psi drop for 6F drop, so around 5psi decrease per degree F decrease.

Put a 3000 psi tank that is at a temperature of 80 F into 50F water and it will drop to around 2850

If the tank is hot from being in the sun,or has just been filled it could easily drop to 2700.
That will certainly mess with a computer calculated SAC rate.

navyhmc
05-30-2010, 15:35

going off memory, but isnt is 10 psi for 1 degress temp difference?

brett

I remember the +/-1f = +/- 10 psi. rule too. Alas, another lie I've been living and propagating all these years.

DMWiz
05-30-2010, 19:24

As a big guy myself, I would not sweat how good or bad your air consumption is right now. If your profile is correct (0-24 dives) you will improve with time as you become more adept at managing your buoyancy, etc. I usually say, "take baby steps and dive more and work on your dive skills instead of buying more gear first". Chances are you will end up with a locker full of gear like most of us down the road anyway. No reason to rush it.

Yes buying new gear is fun and irresistible I KNOW quite well!:smiley2:

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!