PDA

View Full Version : Masks Life span

Mtrewyn
09-07-2007, 11:12
How long does a mask last for you? Has yours been a one time investment or is it every two or three years.

Are the high price masks really worth the investment? I've seen them from 19.95 or lower new heads up display mask for as much as 2000??? seems like quite a range.

My mask is about 10 years old, but it was not used for most of that time, than it went through a tornado and i was able to find it in the wreckage and am currently using it now, but it leaks pretty bad, when it was new it did not leak at all, so I'm assuming that the storm did it, well I'm shopping for a new one and want to know what to expect.

CompuDude
09-07-2007, 11:35
I still own the mask I was certified in in 1987. There was a small tear in the skirt about 15 years ago that I repaired with a little aquaseal. And the skirt is incredibly yellowed. But I had occasion to use it about a year ago and it worked perfectly.

Aside from a quick splash of fresh water after a dive and chucking into a plastic case (like tupperware) I took no special care of it. (Nor did I throw it on the ground the bash it with full scuba tanks repeatedly.)

With moderate care, your mask will probably last you until you lose it or get tired of it.

Capt Hook
09-07-2007, 11:46
Oldest mask i own is about 9yrs., still good even if I don't use it often.

RECDiver
09-07-2007, 17:29
My wife had a mask that lasted 18 years. We just replaced it this year. I would have had one that lasted that long if I didn't have to have prescription lenses, so I bought two new ones and had the lenses installed. I have had those for 3 years now (I make 125-140 dives a year). If you let the mask dry well and keep the mold off of it, the mask can last quite a long time. Of course, what happens is a new cool mask comes out and one has to have it!

Black-Gorrilla
09-07-2007, 17:47
my OW instructor has a mask thats about 16 years old, one small tear in the skirt, on the top... so there is always little bubbles coming out of there... but the mask still works.

Aussie
09-07-2007, 17:59
My masks last about two years before I retire them. Sometimes they die suddenly like cylinder lands on it or someone puts their big hoof on it. Another problem is people taking my mask home. They leave me something that looks like a dog had a chew on it.
Also cockroaches love my black skirt in summer time have all these little bit marks on the edge of the skirt.

I found a cheaper copy of the Tusa M-14 which i use. I get it very very cheap and I have 3-4 marks as spare most of the time.

Aussie

awap
09-07-2007, 18:45
I've had a couple failures now with the high end Scubapro Frameless masks. In both cases the skirt started to seperate from the glass. No tears, just an adhesive/bonding failure. Thankfully, I've never paid MSRP which is now about $130. That is probably 10 times the production cost.

WV Diver
09-07-2007, 19:59
Masks have an extremely long lifespan, the strap will go long before the mask. Take good care of it and you shouldn't have to worry about it for a very long time.

Defman
09-07-2007, 22:32
I've had my old TUSA Spendive IV for about 7 years, still the only mask that has fit me right... oughta buy a couple more while they still make them!

I do have a new Atomic Frameless that hasn't been used yet, soon I hope though!!

mark44883
09-07-2007, 23:01
my mask is ten years old still flooding like the day i got it!!!!!!!

subsur
09-08-2007, 06:10
masks last a really long time if you take a proper care of them (rinse after salk water or pool). it's definitely worth getting a good one, don't buy $20 one.