PDA

View Full Version : First Dive Computer

Challenger0968
06-01-2010, 13:59
I am recently new to the Diving world i am curious what is the best dive computer for a beginner.

Thanks Shaun

Straegen
06-01-2010, 14:33
There are a lot of choices. I would recommend one that supports EAN in case you go down that road and they tend to hold their value a bit more. Multiple gases are a bonus IMO.

Mares Puck. Simple, easy to use, comes with screen protector, adjustable RGBM algorithm

Suunto Zoop. Newer design and made for those new to diving

Suunto Gekko. Been around and very proven think there are log book download issues though

Oceanic Veo 2.0. Similar to the Puck

Oceanic Veo 3.0. One of the most advanced entry level dive computer out there that is easy to use and somewhat affordable.

Those would be my picks not in any particular order.

Glub000
06-01-2010, 15:51
Alot depends on the type of diving you do, or plan to do. I have a Dive Rite NiTek Duo (the trio is their new version). The Zeagle and I believe Tusa are the same manufacturer, Seiko. I like mine, it will handle nitrox and should I decide to get more advanced later it will handle multiple gases. The numbers are easy to read even for an old guy like me and it was fairly simple to learn. I have not purchased a download cable yet so I can't help with advice on the software.

NAUIWowee
06-01-2010, 15:53
The UWATEC Aladin Prime is a good entry level, nitrox-compatible computer as well. If you want to step up to a multi-gas computer, the UWATEC Aladin TEC-2G is a good start.

Challenger0968
06-01-2010, 16:42
thanks for all the help guys!!

vegas911diver
06-01-2010, 16:47
I use the Aeris Atmos A1 and I have the Suunto HELO2 and Vyper. Never any problems with them. I agree though that when ready to go buy, buy one that is EANx ready. My rental inventory is now including the ZOOP and the GEKKO is being phased out. Both are EANx compatible.

Straegen
06-01-2010, 18:02
Add Cressi to the Seiko list and also make sure you get one with a user replaceable battery. Even if you don't want to do it yourself, they hold their value better. Hard to find a recent model that doesn't have this feature though.

Splitlip
06-01-2010, 18:48
The UWATEC Aladin Prime is a good entry level, nitrox-compatible computer as well. If you want to step up to a multi-gas computer, the UWATEC Aladin TEC-2G is a good start.

I've become a big fan of UWATEC. I have nothing bad to say about the Pelagics, but I give the nod to the UWATECS. (You'll be talking more money however, depending on how you structure the deal.)

rkj1969
06-01-2010, 18:59
I got an Oceanic Veo in my reg package from Scubatoys and though I know it's super-basic....it is very easy to use and read underwater - it does everything I need it to for recreational diving!

ScubaStevo
06-02-2010, 11:53
I just got a Oceanic Veo 100 NX Nitrox with my package from Scubatoys for my first computer. I am going to try it out this weekend. I will let you know how it works!

Challenger0968
06-09-2010, 08:16
Once again thanks for all the help guys it makes it so much easier!!! Here is what i have come up with so let me know what you think between the (2) following Computers. The units are almost the same just wanted to know should i go with the NAV or not?
Oceanic Veo 3.0 Nitorx with Nav
Oceanic Veo 3 Nitrox

FoxHound
06-09-2010, 08:37
Well im just gonna say right off the bat that i am partial to having a wrist computer and a wrist compass. I just find them easier to use that way.

With saying that, I got the veo 180 with nav on my first set of regs. Did me well for 60+ dives then i switched. The good thing is, if you find you dont like a console or wrist you can switch it to the other.

So it really comes down to what are you going to be comfortable with. Both are good choices.

Challenger0968
06-09-2010, 09:36
Foxhound,
For some reason i had really had not considered a wrist computer. I will look into them for sure. Which do you suggest?

diverg
06-09-2010, 09:52
Challenger if you have already decided on the Veo 3.0 it does come in a wrist version.

Challenger0968
06-09-2010, 10:29
Diverg,

Thanks for the quick info back!

FoxHound
06-09-2010, 11:34
Just like diverg has mentioned it comes in a wrist mount. thats what i had thought you ment when you said veo for wrist or veo nav console

A quick link to the oceanic website shows all the different configurations.
Also you can attach a wrist mount to a retractor if thats more convienient. And you could always change it later.
Personal Dive Computers - Oceanic Veo 3.0 with Dual Algorithm (http://oceanicworldwide.com/p_computers_veo3.0.html)

Challenger0968
06-09-2010, 12:13
i was checking out the site and saw the VT3 which has alot more options and is a newer design. What do you think about this one?

FoxHound
06-09-2010, 12:40
The VT3 is a nice computer. Is it 950 dollars nice when you have the wireless transmitter, maybe not so much haha.

It does have some nice features. The 3 different nitrox mixes are kind of a moot point. You would use this at a tec level, yet most tec divers will use a bottom timer and not a computer.

I think the VEO would be more then enough computer for you. But then again im a bit biased as i dont think id ever spend close to $1000 on a dive computer, enough of the other dive stuff i have costs too much haha.

Right now you just need something for air and for nitrox (well eventually if you dont have the course) everything else is just a nice addon. About the only major difference is the 3 gases and wireless on the VT3, and on the VEO you can switch between 2 different algorithms

Whats more important to you. Me personally, i dont need any of that, i have a veo180 which is just air and nitrox nothing more. i use a pressure guage not wireless air, anything with multiple gases is bottom timer, no computer reliance. Id say save your money and take the less expensive VEO 3 that you had picked out in the beginning

Challenger0968
06-09-2010, 13:05
Foxhound,

Thanks for the info thats the route i am going to take!!! Appericate it more than you know!

diverg
06-09-2010, 22:57
Diverg,

Thanks for the quick info back!

I ordered my Veo 3.0 wrist today(Wenesday), and should have it tomorrow. :)