PDA

View Full Version : My Exercise Routine

bennerman
06-03-2010, 08:36
Last night I did 15 minutes on the excercise bike, then a 20 minute break, then 20 more, then 20 minute break, then yet another 20 more, and another 20 minute break, followed by 26 minutes on the bike! This totaled in 30km and 1000 calories burned.
Before I started, I could only ever do 5 minutes on the bike. Hurray for me :D.
As soon as I lose enough weight to be able to do more than one pushup, I will start on strength training, but until then, I am working on cardio.
Today I am gunna do 30 minutes on the bike, then tomorrow 34 minutes, and after 38, and so on until I reach 90 minutes non-stop a day. I am also going to get a membership at this gym for fifty cents a day so I can use a treadmill, because the military co-op I am doing requires me to run a mile in about ten minutes. Wish me luck :smiley20:

Straegen
06-03-2010, 09:28
Congrats on getting in there and putting in the work. You may see bigger benefits in your cardio workouts from strength training earlier though. Cardio is great for burning calories during the training session but doesn't do nearly as much for raising your metabolism.

Keep your cardio workouts varied. Your body is a wondrous device and each time you workout it gets more efficient doing those movements meaning you have to workout more for the same effect or change up the exercises. If you really want a killer cardio workout, jump rope. It engages a variety of muscles as well as builds coordination. 50lb backpack and a hike will do wonders as well.

bennerman
06-03-2010, 09:35
Will do! :D

Chilly
06-03-2010, 11:05
Congrats on getting in there and putting in the work. You may see bigger benefits in your cardio workouts from strength training earlier though. Cardio is great for burning calories during the training session but doesn't do nearly as much for raising your metabolism.

This is exactly what my wife recommends - combine the cardio with strength training for faster gains. She's a Sports Medicine PT, Certified Athletic Trainer, and former amateur body builder.

Have you tried modified push-ups on your knees vice your feet? What are the other items on your military fitness test? It's never too early to start training. Good Luck!

Regards,

Straegen
06-03-2010, 11:45
Many great sets come from the plank position or on a yoga ball. That yoga ball can make even the fittest guy cry uncle when used right.

Chilly
06-03-2010, 12:05
My wife tortures me with the BOSU (http://www.bosu.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=BOSU/story.html?article=4452)...:smiley2:

Straegen
06-03-2010, 12:38
My wifes trainer prefers it as well. I never have used it though. They both really activate those stabilizer muscles.

Ever do vibration training? I have read it really amplifies the muscle load.

Chilly
06-03-2010, 13:36
Straegen

I don't do vibration training. But I do several exercises designed to recruit dynamic core stabilzers while training other muscle groups.

I do stair-stepper and elliptical machines, both forwards and backwards with no hands, to engage the core.

While standing on the BOSU, I'll do cable flyes, curls, "Arnolds", and my wife's Shoulder Pain Care Exercise Part 3 and Part 6 (http://spinecarefitness.com/category/shoulder-pain-care/) to train rotator cuff.

Finally, free weight squats with a narrow stance is great for core and lower back while training the legs. Great for your G-tolerance as well!

Regards,

Straegen
06-03-2010, 15:06
THANKS for those videos... very nice. I have been putting off shoulder surgery for years from a motorcycle accident. I essentially can't rotate my arm properly without it sliding out of place. I have trained the muscles to hold it in so I now have limited movement but if I exert the muscles in a certain spot it just drops out. I will try some of those from the video and see if it helps.

Oh speaking of core... abs... abs... abs! Get a yoga ball or a BOSU and bang on those abs. Various crunches do a great job. Not to look ripped but your abs activate in almost every major movement of your body. Under-developed they can cause all sorts of issues including back pain, poor lift strength, shortened breathing and lots of other seemingly unrelated issues. It is the one exercise I do nearly without fail.

Power Plate... YouTube - Power PlateĀ® Acceleration Training (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-yM3nn1O3Q) - NASA inspired and the results seem to back up the marketing

Chilly
06-03-2010, 17:17
Straegen,

Glad those exercises helped you. You've got the right idea - you do NOT want to get cut on if you can help it!

Regards,

bennerman
06-03-2010, 19:39
I decided to do 34 minutes instead of 30 today. Gunna do 40 tomorrow ;D

Straegen
06-03-2010, 21:29
Awesome... soon you will be able to go near indefinitely on a stationary bike.

bennerman
06-04-2010, 13:36
Going to do laps at the pool today (with my gloves, and with and without my fins)

maverick
06-04-2010, 23:40
A brisk 3 mile walk in the morning 1st thing. Especially going up a hill do a jog. Works 4 me.

bennerman
06-08-2010, 08:28
Ok, my checkup is on July 5th. If I pass that, I am clear for diving. Checklist:
[ ] - Quit Smoking (speaks for itself)
[ ] - Practice balance and hand-eye coordination (DCD could cause problems diving)
[ ] - Lose a little weight (again, speaks for itself)
[ ] - Get back and leg in shape (need a say it again?)

Doesn't seem too hard :p

bennerman
06-09-2010, 09:26
1 Goal complete.
[x] - Quit Smoking (speaks for itself)
[ ] - Practice balance and hand-eye coordination (DCD could cause problems diving)
[ ] - Lose a little weight (again, speaks for itself)
[ ] - Get back and leg in shape (need a say it again?)

maverick
06-09-2010, 22:30
In other words get a life!!!!

bennerman
07-04-2010, 09:46
[x] - Quit Smoking (speaks for itself)
[x] - Practice balance and hand-eye coordination (DCD could cause problems diving)
[maybe] - Lose a little weight (again, speaks for itself)
[x] - Get back and leg in shape (need a say it again?)

I think I am ready for tomorrow :D

SlvrDragon50
07-04-2010, 11:48
Wait.. you still don't have cert?

o.o

I coulda swore you spent a bunch of time in chat talking about diving last year.

bennerman
07-04-2010, 13:35
Wait.. you still don't have cert?

o.o

I coulda swore you spent a bunch of time in chat talking about diving last year.

You would've been wrong. But I am getting the cert with my first pay-cheque

TwistedSister209
07-04-2010, 15:49
Good luck, Bennerman, with your check-up tomorrow. You will find that diving will help get you in shape, but keep going on the stationary bike.
Congrats on quitting smoking. :smiley20:

bennerman
07-05-2010, 13:53
I got the forms signed, I have lost a pound, I am getting my back x-rayed, and I have sleeping pills now! LIFE IS GREAT :D