PDA

View Full Version : 2004 luxfer al80 thermopro valve.

bigman241
06-03-2010, 12:04
We bought well laid a way a scube gear package a local pawn shop has. It has everything but a second tank and some more weights for two people to dive. Though it is all to small for me. :smiley13:

It has a 2004 luxfer al80 tank with a thermopro valve in it. It has not had a new hydro on it and has been out since last year. The vis is also out since 06 I think it was. The tanks looks brand new once little scratch on the top besides that looks like it was used a few times in fresh water. Local shop wants 45 for the hydro vis and fill. SO what would you say this tank is worth.

We paid 650 for everything. FIgured each reg set is worth 200 bucks and the tank should be worth 125 or so. then the bcs, wetsuit and weights should cover the rest.

ScubaToys Larry
06-03-2010, 13:25
Since we sell a new tank for 150, it seems like having 170 in a used one is not a good value....

Used tanks not in hydro, but of a good alloy should probably go for about 70...

Used pawn shop regs set ups... hard to say. When you can get a new setup for around 300 and change, Aeris A1 Package - Deal Of The Year reviews and discounts, Aeris (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=R2RebelPackage)

I'm not sure I would buy a used one that needs $70 worth of service and parts... for 200...

Now if it's a new Atomic setup with a computer, and you have 200 in it... cool... If it's an old Dacor with no parts available, or an old something or other with dry rotted hoses... maybe not so good.

brojack17
06-03-2010, 14:14
It does seem like too much for a tank. I've bought three used AL80's and have an average of $85/tank. Plus, if you get it to the dive shop and it fails hydro and/or vis, you are out of luck. I did that with a steel 72.

mm2002
06-03-2010, 16:28
We bought well laid a way a scube gear package a local pawn shop has. It has everything but a second tank and some more weights for two people to dive. Though it is all to small for me. :smiley13:

It has a 2004 luxfer al80 tank with a thermopro valve in it. It has not had a new hydro on it and has been out since last year. The vis is also out since 06 I think it was. The tanks looks brand new once little scratch on the top besides that looks like it was used a few times in fresh water. Local shop wants 45 for the hydro vis and fill. SO what would you say this tank is worth.

We paid 650 for everything. FIgured each reg set is worth 200 bucks and the tank should be worth 125 or so. then the bcs, wetsuit and weights should cover the rest.

$650 could be a bargain, or you may have got screwed. What are the "reg sets"? BC's? As far as the tank goes, figure it in there as a $60 to $70 value. The weights are worth whatever lead is going for per LB. The suits, well, not much resale value there, ESPECIALLY since they don't fit you.:smiley2:

bigman241
06-03-2010, 18:52
I will find out what they are and get back with you guys.

jbres1
06-03-2010, 22:02
All I can say is SLOW DOWN on the purchases.

It looks as if you got the bug to buy gear, and thats what you are doing.
Like a carpenter said, "measure twice and cut once.
You need to take a few steps back from pulling the trigger on these purchases.
First you buy two pre 1988 cylinders, and now you buy 2 sets of gear used. And the BC will not even fit you. If you take a little more time to research your needs , you will find that you will only need to purchase one time.

Ask questions here before you go jumping on any more deals.
Ask people here if they have some gear to sell, ask if there are any good deals at Scubatoys and other shops.

Like Larry stated earlier , you need to look at the total cost of these purchases not just the starting price for used gear.

Jim Breslin

Jim Breslin

Jack Hammer
06-04-2010, 11:41

First you buy two pre 1988 cylinders, and now you buy 2 sets of gear used. And the BC will not even fit you. If you take a little more time to research your needs , you will find that you will only need to purchase one time.

Ask people here if they have some gear to sell, ask if there are any good deals at Scubatoys and other shops.

Like Larry stated earlier , you need to look at the total cost of these purchases not just the starting price for used gear.

Jim Breslin

Jim Breslin
+1, Solid advice

bigman241
06-04-2010, 13:12
The gear and the 2004 tank was bought for my dad. One of the bcs fit him the other should fit my brother who is thinking about trying diving.

Jim Breslin

Jim Breslin
+1, Solid advice

Rileybri
06-04-2010, 13:46
The gear and the 2004 tank was bought for my dad. One of the bcs fit him the other should fit my brother who is thinking about trying diving.

Jim Breslin

Jim Breslin
+1, Solid advice

That does not change the fact that you over payed for used gear, again......

bigman241
06-04-2010, 16:48
Your kind of right and kind of wrong. I will not know untill we pick up the gear and check everything out. Dad used one bc, tank, weight, reg setup and my brother gets into it and can use the other bc then I would say it is priceless. :smiley20: If he does not I have a extra reg setup I can use for a back up or use to setup a pony. The wetsuits where both smaller maybe med or large. One should fit my cousin who wants to dive and one should fit one of my sisters step kids as I am 90% one of them was a woman's small

If not I will try and fit in the small wetsuit and make a youtube video out of it. :smilie39::smilie39:

No more used stuff. Thinking about ordering two steel 130s from ST next month and let dad have the al80s. Besides he said he would buy them off me when I get my steels so there is 350 of the 920 bucks for the steels setup for doubles. which will save me money later when I go doubles

Jim Breslin

Jim Breslin
+1, Solid advice

That does not change the fact that you over payed for used gear, again......