PDA

View Full Version : Key Largo - Spiegel Grove

Pachanga22
09-07-2007, 14:44
The first of August I discovered a great dive on the Spiegel Grove wreck. The dive does have some strong current (you hold on to the anchor line going down and up) and you need to dive to 100" + (used 30% Nitrox).

Best fish was a five foot giant grouper.

A large American flag attached to the ship was waving in the current!

Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Spiegel_Grove_(LSD-32)

FyVe
09-09-2007, 20:11
ah i need to do a nitrox course... i def. would love to check it out. i saw it on the list of locations when i went diving in key largo a couple of times... its like 120-130 ft correct? sounds pretty amazing but without nitrox i don't think i'd be getting there anytime soon. :(
there are some really cool shallower dives near there though!!

WV Diver
09-09-2007, 20:13
I am nitrox certified but have dove the Spiegel on air several times. There is alot to see at 100' and above.

Special K III
09-12-2007, 15:34
I'm diving the Spiegel Grove this Saturday. :smiley20:

jo8243
09-17-2007, 18:39
I went there in 2004 before it was moved by the hurricane. I'd like to see it now. Anyone have any pics they can post?

CrzyJay456
09-17-2007, 18:44
i always see the sign in front of pennekamp "dive the worlds blah blah... The Spiegel Grove"

comet24
09-19-2007, 19:57
The Spiegel Grove is a great wreck. I was able to dive it both on it's side and now upright. When it was on it's side you could see the screws. Pretty impressive sight.

The Duane is also a great wreck in Key Largo. I like it better then the Spiegel Grove. Less crowded.

BobArnold8265
09-19-2007, 21:04
The Speigel is a very nice dive but I agree that the Duane was a little better. The Duane site had a lot more critters around to check out.

scubasavvy
09-19-2007, 23:12
I heard about Speigel Grove on Scuba Radio. They said that they really enjoyed their time there. I've gotta get on my Nitrox Cert...

Divingguy
09-20-2007, 12:29
I have dived it twice. I always try to use Nitrox when I am doing repetitive dives during a day, but it is not required to dive the SG. Depending upon which buoy your dive op hooks to, there can be a lot to see between 60 and 100'. Current can really be brutal on that site. When it is ripping, and you are having to work hard just to hang onto and work up or down the line, your air consumption is going to determine dive time.

ScubaJenn81
09-20-2007, 13:50
Depending on what outfitter you use, it does not matter if you dive nitrox or not, they will not dive twice on a the Spiegal unless everyone is nitrox on the boat. It is possible, but I think it would have to be a private charter. My 2 cents, that is.

Divingguy
09-20-2007, 15:19
To clarify, I did NOT dive the Grove twice on the SAME day. I agree, most dive ops will not do what is called a "double dip" on a deep wreck unless everyone agrees, and everyone is using nitrox. Normally the second dive of a two dive trip is done shallow to facilitate off-gassing.

MtnDiver
09-25-2007, 17:07
Well we were there in June and went out with Conch Republic (great group)...there was a mixture of Nitrox and air folks...even a guy in full tech gear using a rebreather and a group doing their wreck course....this was just a few weeks after the death of a couple of divers that apparently got lost inside due to silt and no line to follow....anyway, we double dipped and even moved bouy's in between to see end to end....there is a lot to see (even at 100 feet) and we spoke to folks that have dove it 20+ times and still have not seen it all...

I'll second that the current can be demanding...the safety stops were almost amusing to look at a group of divers that literally looked like flags hanging on the anchor lines....I have never seen so many actually hook onto the line with a tether.....

ccarter
09-27-2007, 15:12
I did my "deep dive" certification dive on the Spiegel Grove.. although the Dive Master took us down the wrong anchor line and ended up taking us down to 130 feet.. to the sand.. this was also my nitrox check-out dive and I was running ~36% I think.. he didn't think it was that big of a deal.. great DM'ing eh? Being a newbie (like my 10th dive) I wasn't checking my depth constantly like I am now..

He ended up ballooning up to like 50 feet real quick with other students (I took my time ascending) and then going back down to ~115ft to finish "his dive". :smiley20:

SYOTABUCS
09-27-2007, 15:51
While getting our AOW we used the Spiegel for the wreck and deep parts of AOW. Did a double dip with a substantial SI between dives. Saw several of the large groupers. We did a dive on each end. BIG BOAT. Water was like glass up top and current was not bad that day either.

The next trip was just the opposite. We were the ones on the rope at 90 degrees to the rope. Like the flag. Hope to do the Duane next trip down to the Keys.

vimalp
09-28-2007, 11:59
I am nitrox certified but have dove the Spiegel on air several times. There is alot to see at 100' and above.

Doesn't nitrox 32% limit you to 105'?

Why would you want to use Nitrox if you want to dive deep?

BSea
09-28-2007, 12:24

Doesn't nitrox 32% limit you to 105'?

Why would you want to use Nitrox if you want to dive deep?You can get different mixes from most places including Conch Republic. I like to use 30 when I dive to 100'. It gives plenty of fudge factor if you want to dip down below 100' for 1 reason or another. But going to 100' on 32% is well within the limits. (My tables show 111 for a 1.4 PO2)