PDA

View Full Version : securing tanks

bigman241
06-06-2010, 22:09
I have my three al80s in my closet. In a few weeks there will be another for dad and hopefully a set of steel 130s. Since we have kids come over who tend to get into everything I put a padlock on my closet door. It is old and needs replaced so better then a kid popping the valve on a 3000 psi tank. SInce it might hurt them and cost me a fill and if dead empty a vis I thought ahead.

Though it worries me there just sitting there on carpet and could fall over I want to secure them

ANy ides for a setup? their sitting against a wall and my closet is 6x6. I was thinking running a board across the bottom or just screwing some eye hooks on the end walls and wrapping a rope around each valve like on a dive boat. Or the idea of a rope in front and back and run a piece between each tank to keep them from falling side to side.

sterlinghe92
06-06-2010, 22:49
Lay them down and most likely they won't fall over. My tanks are standing in the garage and have been just fine. Even stayed through an earth quake

bigman241
06-06-2010, 22:56
I would agree expect I have my gun safe on one side next o my tot with my camo in it for hunting the tanks on the other. Wetsuit and bc hanging on the other wall between tanks and safe. If I laid them down I would not be able to walk in there. Heck I do not have room for my clothes in there. I would rather have my dresser full and clothes on top then scuba tanks and 4k or so of gear sitting out next to my glock on my dresser though. I need a man cave but we have to do some work before we can finish out the basement.
Lay them down and most likely they won't fall over. My tanks are standing in the garage and have been just fine. Even stayed through an earth quake

John Yaskowich
06-07-2010, 08:19
I store mine inthe garage but have the same issues - space, availabilty and not tipping over. I just added some screw-eyes to a board attached to the wall and ran some bungie cord between them. Works like a charm; just loop the cord over the valve and they are secured out of the way. I also got a dollar store cooking trivets for underneth to get the tanks off the often wet and gritty floor. (The last part is probably not needed but makes me feel better.)

cmburch
06-07-2010, 13:45
Some type of wood box or plastic container that fit in the end of the closet to keep the carpet clean and prevent the cylinders from tipping over.

An adjustable shower or spring loaded curtain rod, chin-up bar, pick-up truck bed rod would probably be the easiest solution if the cylinders are at the end of the closet.

I just have mine on the hardwood floor in the laundry room for the past 20 years without issue. The cylinders have the plastic boot on the bottom.

bigman241
06-07-2010, 14:07
good idea the shower rod and bangee on a eye hook should work
Some type of wood box or plastic container that fit in the end of the closet to keep the carpet clean and prevent the cylinders from tipping over.

An adjustable shower or spring loaded curtain rod, chin-up bar, pick-up truck bed rod would probably be the easiest solution if the cylinders are at the end of the closet.

I just have mine on the hardwood floor in the laundry room for the past 20 years without issue. The cylinders have the plastic boot on the bottom.

Rileybri
06-07-2010, 15:13
got to your local marine supply house and get two boat type tank holders and screw them to wall of the closet. vuala, secure tanks!

this is what I am referring to (http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/RC154?utm_source=GoogleProduct&utm_medium=ShopComp&utm_term=RC154&utm_campaign=ShopComp)

bigman241
06-07-2010, 18:31
Ya I thought about those but seem to think they where expensive. not a bad price on the link though.
got to your local marine supply house and get two boat type tank holders and screw them to wall of the closet. vuala, secure tanks!

this is what I am referring to (http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/RC154?utm_source=GoogleProduct&utm_medium=ShopComp&utm_term=RC154&utm_campaign=ShopComp)

Rileybri
06-07-2010, 18:50
Ya I thought about those but seem to think they where expensive. not a bad price on the link though.

Well now that we are thinking along the same lines make em your self out of dbled up plywood.

bigman241
06-07-2010, 19:00
DIY my favorite hillbilly hobby. :smiley20: I just had an idea of PVC might try it to.

Thanks guys and if there where any gals.

Well now that we are thinking along the same lines make em your self out of dbled up plywood.

navyhmc
06-07-2010, 22:01
I have a sort of cubby hole that holds all my tanks with a little room for a few more no problems with them falling over. For travel, I just lay them down in the back of the ruck-I make a second row as needed.

bigman241
06-07-2010, 23:32
I might move the safe to the other side and that would give me enough space to put the tanks in there and just run a board at the bottom to hold them up. Or move the safe out into my room which is an option.
I have a sort of cubby hole that holds all my tanks with a little room for a few more no problems with them falling over. For travel, I just lay them down in the back of the ruck-I make a second row as needed.