PDA

View Full Version : Check or carry on gear?

divechaplain-sara
09-07-2007, 19:35
When you fly what do you do with your gear? Do you check it all? Do you carry it on? Are there certain pieces of gear that you carry on and check the rest?

Black-Gorrilla
09-07-2007, 19:37
always carry on your regulators and mask... just cause that stuff should not be thrown around.
most everything else can be dispatched with no problems.. as long as you pack well.

Charles R
09-07-2007, 19:39
I carry everything on and check the non important stuff like clothes

Flatliner
09-07-2007, 19:47
Charles would be the guy whose dive vacation DIDN'T get ruined. If you have to have it carry it on. If you can survive the ENTIRE vacation without it (realizing that the airline will give you some money for stuff like underwear, shorts, t-shirts) then it is ok to check it.

In all seriousness, I have flown hundreds of times in the last few years and have only lost my luggage twice. BUT one time was a trip to Fairbanks, AK in December (-35 F on arrival) and my luggage didn't show up for 3 days. I had everything that was essential and two changes of clothes in my carry on so I was OK. If you are going on a once in a lifetime dive trip it would be a MAJOR bummer to lose 3 days due to luggage problems.

WV Diver
09-07-2007, 19:54
I carry on my mask, computer, wetsuit, camera and regulator system.

DevilDiver
09-07-2007, 19:58
I always carry on my camera equipment and check the dive gear. I can rent gear........ DON'T TOUCH MY CAMERA EQUIPMENT.

jbres1
09-07-2007, 20:01
I carry regs, computer, camera, mask, and 13 cu ft pony, and check the wing and fins.
I don't mind diving with a strange set of fins or a BC, but I like to have my own reg.
Jim Breslin

ReefHound
09-07-2007, 20:02
There's a thread on Decostop right now, Tim with TDL just returned from the Caymans, between Miami and Las Vegas someone rifled through his checked bags and stole a bunch of stuff. Cochran computer, Vyper computer, Green Force lights, and more.

MEL-DC Diver
09-07-2007, 20:23
I'm with most everyone else - carry on the regs, computer, etc. Check the big stuff.

DevilDiver
09-07-2007, 20:24
There's a thread on Decostop right now, Tim with TDL just returned from the Caymans, between Miami and Las Vegas someone rifled through his checked bags and stole a bunch of stuff. Cochran computer, Vyper computer, Green Force lights, and more.

I have had a camera stolen and a set of IPod speakers before.
You can get locks for your luggage that are aproved for security.

RonFrank
09-07-2007, 20:33
There is an art to packing, and it's different for everyone.

Why?

I have a lot of camera gear, both for topside and UW use. I also have a lot of heavy stuff. So my goal is to carry on my camera gear, laptop, fragile items, diver computer, and heavy stuff and pack the rest in two bags that weight 50lbs or less.

My reg often get's checked, but it depends on what else I'm bringing. I generally carry on my camera gear, but I check my housing. For me it's just a keeping my check bags at 50lbs.

I do generally carry on my mask, and most of the time my reg because it is heavy. My last trip to Coz, my bags when leaving weighed 50lbs, and 49lbs. I also had a camera backpack loaded, and carryon roller bag.

I ziptie my check bags as well as using TSA approved locks.

allison finch
09-07-2007, 21:05
I check all dive gear except my prescription mask and computer. I carry on my camera gear.

BuzzGA
09-07-2007, 21:28
I carry regs, computer, and mask. And a hint for getting through security a bit faster. Put your regs in a clear plastic bag like a dry cleaning bag. Pull them out before they go through xray because all the metal makes the security folks a little nervous. By having it in a clear bag its easier to repack and the security people can see it all. The tip was given to me by a nice TSA agent and I haven't had any slow downs with gear since then

divechaplain-sara
09-07-2007, 21:34
What makes a lock be TSA approved? I thought any luggage lock was fine as long as you waited for them to scan/inspect your bag before locking it.

georoc01
09-07-2007, 21:35
Regs, Computer and Mask here carry on. Rest checked. Still wondering how to handle the 44lb single bag weight limit on my next dive trip. May have to leave the BC at home.

Seperating out the Reg for TSA is a good idea, especially if you don't live a city that isn't a diving destination. I usually have it in a reg bag and put that through the x-ray with my computer on its own as well. Every since I started doing that, I haven't gone through a secondary search.

DevilDiver
09-07-2007, 22:00
What makes a lock be TSA approved? I thought any luggage lock was fine as long as you waited for them to scan/inspect your bag before locking it.

The TSA can be removed by the TSA inspectors with a tool they have. The luggage handlers can't.

DevilDiver
09-07-2007, 22:01

The TSA can be removed by the TSA inspectors with a tool they have. The luggage handlers can't.

:smiley20:
I believe Scubaa Toys has the TSA locks for sale also......:smiley20::smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

deepdiver47
09-07-2007, 22:21
computers (2), cameras (2), regulator. masks, dive cards.

The things I can't get live without

ertechsg
09-07-2007, 22:40

:smiley20:
I believe Scubaa Toys has the TSA locks for sale also......:smiley20::smiley20::smiley20::smiley20: So does walmart. And like DD I carry the camera check the rest

Damselfish
09-07-2007, 22:47
Only some airports are set up to do it this way.

Capt Hook
09-08-2007, 07:32
Regs, mask, computer, and a change of clothes in carry on, wife carries video camera and housing.

Aussie
09-08-2007, 07:41
Camera gear and laptop and maybe my regs if I can fit them in. Try and get as much as carry on as I we have weight limits when flying around Australia, pacific, and Asia.

Aussie

Kidder
09-08-2007, 08:01
Always carry on the expensive and fragile stuff. I've seen baggage is handled first hand. If you have to check make sure that the breakables are in a hard case within you lugagge.

Scuba-Bill
09-08-2007, 08:11
I carry my reg, computer, and camera and check the rests.

It is also a good idea to remove the knife if it is integrated into the console. My buddy's made it through security, but I'm sure it would not have been fun if they found it... (we realized it after we got to our destination).

Texas Girl
09-08-2007, 09:30
Carry-on computer console (minus the knife), cameras, and check the rest. In many trips we have never had anything damaged or stolen, and TSA frequently inspects the bag with the camcorder housing/strobes.

bversteegh
09-09-2007, 02:03
I have a camera/computer backpack - carries my cameras, lenses, strobes, and laptop. In my roller bag, I have my dive computers, mask, regulator, camera housing/port, and a couple of days clothes. So if my dive bags don't make it, all I need is a bc and fins. But my carry ons would never make the 15 lb limit if they weight them.......so far haven't been stopped:smiley20:

namabiru
09-09-2007, 13:54
When I last traveled, I carried my camera, lights, mask, and reg. aboard. The rest was checked.

However, I made a point of arriving a day early in case there were any snafus.

When going through security, I pulled my regulator bag and camera out of my carryon. This definitely helps. I didn't put it in a clear bag, just left it in its normal bag. In Spokane, my reg bag was given a quick unzip/glance/rezip with no troubles (the agent said 'yep, figured that's what it was'); in Freeport, not even a second glance. So, yeah, probably areas where diving isn't so prominent means you might get a quick glance. Heck, the nice man in Spokane even told me to 'dive safe'.

cutter77
09-09-2007, 21:21
Carry on everything.
No checked luggage.
Less headaches.

Flatliner
09-09-2007, 22:39
Carry on everything.
No checked luggage.
Less headaches.

Great advice but it might not be practical for the inexperienced traveler or the serious photographer...

namabiru
09-10-2007, 10:45
Carry on everything.
No checked luggage.
Less headaches.

Yes, you are certainly right about that, if you've got the space in a carry-on. Plus, if you check in beforehand online, you don't need to be at the airport so early. You check in online, get your boarding pass, then you can waltz into the airport about an hour prior. If it's a huge airport, probably an hour and a half prior. If it's Denver, probably 2 hours before still.

gtjason2000
09-10-2007, 11:23
Carry-on the expensive stuff. Too bad my brigade is too big to carry on. Haven't ever carried on my mask but I might think about that now.

ScubaJenn81
09-10-2007, 12:18
I try to bring as much gear as I can, and it may not be the best way to do it, but I put in much light gear as I can in my checked bag and carry the heavy stuff on with me. I do not like to get charged extra to check more then 50 pounds. But I will always carry on camera/computer gear.

scubasavvy
09-10-2007, 12:44
I check my BC, wetsuit, fins mask and snorkel, but I carry my reg, octo and computer/gauges.