PDA

View Full Version : Florida Keys Camping

effinghamdiver
09-07-2007, 21:46
Some buddies and I have decided that we want to do a weekend roadtrip to florida (from Illinois). We want it fast and cheap (coincidently just like our women) We were looking for a good place to camp for the weekend somewhere down in the keys. Any good suggestions?

NitroWill
09-07-2007, 21:58
I've camped in Pennekamp State Park..
It's a pretty decent setup..
Theres some places you can snorkel inside the park (decent, not great)..
They also have their dive charter that leaves from there daily..
Think it was around $34 a day, just beware of the bugs - they can be a nightmare!

BuzzGA
09-07-2007, 22:44
Try Bahia Honda state park...its further down the line but I like that area of the Keys better

FishFood
09-07-2007, 22:55
Virtually any state park is a good choice. All fairly cheap at $35/night. Pick one closest to were youll be.

BusDiver
09-08-2007, 06:10
Best diving=Upper Keys

Best camping=Bahia Honda--lower mid keys

Best Party=lower keys, middle keys, upper keys

Fast Women=Miami

WV Diver
09-08-2007, 06:42
I've camped in Pennekamp State Park..
It's a pretty decent setup..
Theres some places you can snorkel inside the park (decent, not great)..
They also have their dive charter that leaves from there daily..
Think it was around $34 a day, just beware of the bugs - they can be a nightmare!
I have not camped but I knew about this and have often thought of doing it. I did not know that there is a charter that leaves from there everyday. Cool.

scubasamurai
09-08-2007, 08:28
just remember, BUGS bring your spray or enough air to stay underwater during the night

pnevai
09-08-2007, 17:17
Bugs? I would not call those bugs. Does the word SWARM have any meaning? After it gets dark they SWARM. Just walking from the dock to the car over 30 bites. Wear a mask as you will be inhaleing the little suckers. Like samurai says bring plenty of industrial strength repellant or book a motel room. You'll be glad you did.

effinghamdiver
09-08-2007, 20:18
Best diving=Upper Keys

Best camping=Bahia Honda--lower mid keys

Best Party=lower keys, middle keys, upper keys

Fast Women=Miami

Miami =:smiley20:

So many decisions .... Thanks for all the input guys...I like the idea of the charter leaving everday...