PDA

View Full Version : older al80s vs new al80s.

bigman241
06-14-2010, 14:02
well you all talked me out of it. No driving to cally for used gear. :smiley31:

GOing to pick dad up a package from scubatoys thinking the Brigade oceanic setup they have listed REAL CHEAP. Save like 650 bucks buying the package.

Since he will now have everything and we only have three tanks I am going to pick up 2 al80s. No not used New nice shinny candy red tanks from scubatoys. The shops around here run high and even with extra shipping and a vis/fill it comes out to the same money and I would rather give my money to Larry then anyone around here.

I do have a question for you guys. Will the new candy painted al80s from scubatoys have the same or different buoyancy as the older (82,86,87) luxfer tanks I have now? We are going to go down to laural lake in ky the second week of july to go diving. Not Florida but good clean water for midwest. I called the shop down there and they told me they would fill my pre88 tanks as long as the vis, eddy, and hydro is up to date. Though the boy was alittle new so I am going to double check before I haul them down there.

The reason for buying two more tanks is I do not like wondering if the older tanks will blow so figure buy two now two in a few months or before our spring vacation and retire the pre88s. Either give them to a diver who needs and will use them or make me a lamp and maybe a mail box. Even if I go steel later dad will need the al80s

bigman241
06-14-2010, 14:06
also for some reason the candy tanks aren't showing up any more. Do they come with the thermo pro valve or just a yoke valve. It would be nice not to have to use my yoke adapter on my reg.

navyhmc
06-14-2010, 14:20
1. Paint will make no difference, only make you notice a scratch faster.

2. I think they have thermo-pro vavles, but call Scuba Toys and ask them! easiest way to get a 100% correct answer!

bigman241
06-14-2010, 14:25
I know the paint will not matter. Worried about alloy diffs thickness and such. I think I will give them a call tomorrow.
I also worry about the ohh my god their is a scratch on my tank factor. Kind of like buying a truck with a strach on it already ohh a scratch to where if it is new with a fancy paint job you die alittle when you see that first scratch. We all know scuba tanks will get scratched.
1. Paint will make no difference, only make you notice a scratch faster.

2. I think they have thermo-pro vavles, but call Scuba Toys and ask them! easiest way to get a 100% correct answer!

jbres1
06-14-2010, 14:32
The catalina cylinder is about 1/2 lb negitave vs the Luxfer cylinder when empty.
They also trim out a little butt heavy vs a Luxfer, but not so much to notice as back gas.

Jim Breslin

bigman241
06-14-2010, 17:10
I figured it would be very little.
The catalina cylinder is about 1/2 lb negitave vs the Luxfer cylinder when empty.
They also trim out a little butt heavy vs a Luxfer, but not so much to notice as back gas.

Jim Breslin

FoxHound
06-15-2010, 05:14
The biggest place you notice is when you are carrying them as a stage. Like Jim said the cats are heavy on the rear end, not too nice for a stage bottle. So most guys prefer the lux

But for back gas cats are fine. I actually prefer cats for double al80s as being a bit heavy on the rear kinda balances out the weight added by the manifold.

Shouldnt be any problem to have a different valve put on i would imagine. The scuba toys crew has always gone above and beyond for customer service

bigman241
06-15-2010, 13:36
I was thinking about getting the double 80 kit in place of two 80s but figured 169 a peice or 338 for both vs or 550 for the kit I would only save 75 or 100 bucks and have the manifold and bans sitting around for some plus. With saving 75 or 100 bucks it would give me a reason to buy two more al80s when or if I went double 80s. For around here I think the 80s doubles or not would be more then enough vs the steel 130s or double 130s. Not like there is a ton to see around here. Plus if I use single 80s and dive three tanks that is 3 dives a day vs 1 or 2 with steels doubled or not.

navyhmc
06-15-2010, 14:48
Think getting everything dialed in with a single and maybe 30-50 dives before going the doubles route. You have to think about and reast to lot of more stuff with doubles. I was around in the early stages of doubles and even as simple as they were, there's deifinitely a learning curve on using them-get everything else down pat before adding more tasks.

jbres1
06-15-2010, 15:56
Here is another mantra for you.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.

Find somebody that will let you try out their doubles, and show you the ropes of diving doubles.

Double 80's aren't too tough to dive, but they act different than singles, the weight swing is a little less than double.

If you want to buy a doubles set up to use as singles now and double up later , thats cool. But doubles with 25 dives and no training or mentoring is not cool.

Jim breslin

bigman241
06-15-2010, 23:11
The do it later but save now was the idea. Though I wonder having the stuff would not be to much temptation. Not in a big hurry for it. I will admit I was heck I was trying to figure out how I could when I did my cert. Ofcourse not a good idea. I am at 5 dives right not all cert dives. I did a weight check dive but hit 11 feet and was down long enough to see if I floated or sink since I was alone. I did not want have to come back and say well I went down and figured I was there and did a solo dive. SO I went down hold my breath floated up slowly let out all my air and went back to 11 and then went to the top. Dad asked why I did not go down and do a dive. I told him I did not want to swim around in dark cold water at 20 or 30 feet with him snorkeling. I think he was more surprised I did not then wondering why I didn't
Here is another mantra for you.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.

Find somebody that will let you try out their doubles, and show you the ropes of diving doubles.

Double 80's aren't too tough to dive, but they act different than singles, the weight swing is a little less than double.

If you want to buy a doubles set up to use as singles now and double up later , thats cool. But doubles with 25 dives and no training or mentoring is not cool.

Jim breslin