PDA

View Full Version : Mares Volo

scubasteven45
09-08-2007, 01:31
Anybody try the Mares Volo fins? I am looking for a comfortable fin that won't make the sides of my feet sore and my calf muscle sore. Thanks

Souvy
09-08-2007, 03:16
I had a pair of Volo Powers. I loved how they performed and how light they were, but unfortunately mine fell apart after about 3 dives and I take exceptionally good care of my equipment. They were covered by warranty, but it was a bit of a hassle (bought them in my pre-ScubaToys days) and I elected to take the refund rather than go through that headache again.

That being said, ScubaToys has ridiculously good customer service and I'm sure they would have your back should anything happen to them. A buddy of mine has an older pair of the Volos and he's had over 200 dives on them no worries. As I said, performance-wise I loved them. They provide a lot of thrust with minimal effort (you hardly notice you have them on) and I'm sure they would meet your needs of not tiring you out or causing cramps.

I dive the Tusa Zooms and one thing that I have noticed is that the Volos are significantly more prone to stirring up silt. The Zooms are also exceptionally comfortable. Also, in terms of the straps I had the ABS straps on the Volos which I couldn't stand. Totally a matter of personal preference, but I would strongly suggest spring straps if you were to pick those up. In comparison, I also think that that the Zooms have a wider foot pocket than the Volos, but I couldn't say for sure since I don't have the Volos any more.

Of course, it's all a matter of personal preference when it comes to fins. If you're not averse to splits I'd recommend the Zooms or maybe looking into the Apollos (picked up a pair from ScubaToys, but haven't had the chance to use them yet). If you want to go with the Volos I'm sure you won't be disappointed. My personal feeling is that the Zooms and the Apollos are much sturdier, but my experience may have skewed my perception of the Volos a bit. I have almost 50 dives on my Zooms and they look nearly brand new. Hope that helps a bit, cheers.

ScubaToys Larry
09-08-2007, 05:42
I also prefer the splits to the "hinge" technology of the volos... and you'll see that Mares has just come out with the Raptor http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MaresRaptorFin which is basically the same as a zoom, except with a new mares abs buckle system on it. So if you want the splits - but want to stay with the mares name plate... there is also an option for you.

deepdiver47
09-08-2007, 09:56
I also prefer the splits to the "hinge" technology of the volos... and you'll see that Mares has just come out with the Raptor http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MaresRaptorFin which is basically the same as a zoom, except with a new mares abs buckle system on it. So if you want the splits - but want to stay with the mares name plate... there is also an option for you.

Larry, I am coming close to making my decision on a fin purchase. I am still locked and loaded on a pair of Bio fins with the spring straps. Then these Raptors showed up, they look good but haven't seen many comments on them. I believe that you get what you pay for. IYHO, are the apollo bios that much better to warrant the extra $$?

Xspect
09-08-2007, 09:56
I love my Volo power. But hate the straps. I plan to replace it when a spring strap

Charles R
09-08-2007, 10:04
Had them if you are getting sore calf mussels then these fin will only make it worse they are a long fin and give alot of propulsion but require some leg mussel to work.

ScubaToys Larry
09-08-2007, 10:58
Larry, I am coming close to making my decision on a fin purchase. I am still locked and loaded on a pair of Bio fins with the spring straps. Then these Raptors showed up, they look good but haven't seen many comments on them. I believe that you get what you pay for. IYHO, are the apollo bios that much better to warrant the extra $$?

I like the bios better... more flexible... and I don't care about colors. Yes... I think they are worth the difference in price.

ls1mtz
09-27-2007, 14:14
I love my volo fins but I have never tried a split fin to compare against.