PDA

View Full Version : To see or not to see that is the question

scubasteven45
09-08-2007, 01:42
What should I use on a new mask to prevent it from defogging? Some say spit others say commercial stuff and a few say toothpaste but that may scratch the lens. Thanks for the help.

Zenagirl
09-08-2007, 07:23
New mask always needs to have the film removed from the lens. Most people use toothpaste (not gel) to do that, rubbing firmly with a finger at least once. I do that then run the mask through the dishwasher with the dry cycle off.

As for defog while diving, you might have to experiment to see what you like. Some people use spit, though I've never found that to work for me, so if I'm on a boat, I use the defog they provide (usually baby shampoo/water in a spray bottle), and for shore diving I use a commercial defog (since I don't shore dive much).

When we go to Bonaire next summer and shore dive a lot for 2 weeks, I'm going to take a sample sized bottle of baby shampoo with me and a small empty spray bottle and mix my own defog.

Phestr
09-09-2007, 05:40
The toothpaste has always worked for me and my crew, and we all use baby shampoo for defog. Not cut with water, a small drop directly, spread around and rinsed off. Zenagirl, those sample bottles should last you several trips, mine has lasted 20+ dives.

WV Diver
09-09-2007, 07:11
I have been using the Baby shampoo and water, half and half for a long time. It is much, much cheaper than any commercial product and does at least as good a job and better than some.

namabiru
09-09-2007, 10:36
Yep. Toothpaste to the inside to start with. I find defog doesn't work so well for me, so I prefer good old spit.

I also have this thing where even though I'll clean my mask and get it ready before I get in the water, I always have to do it again after I splash. So while I'm peddling to the mooring line or waiting for my buddy, I clean my mask again and it's all set.

finflippers
09-09-2007, 10:51
Toothpaste to get off the film on a new mask.

For defogging I use one drop of Dawn dish washing detergent in each lens and rub it to a thin coat inside and out and let it dry in while I am getting my gear ready. Once in the water I just dip the mask (no rubbing) and it is good to go. I have tried the commercial stuff but it usually fogs up when I hit the first thermocline.

namabiru
09-09-2007, 14:10
I have tried the commercial stuff but it usually fogs up when I hit the first thermocline.

Do you know I have the same darn problem with the commercial stuff? I don't buy it. I only have a container because it came as a comp. item with my mask from ST.

I suppose each person is different, but I really just find spit to be the most effective.

wxboy911
09-09-2007, 14:33
I used the paste to get the lenses ready and now I have a travel sized baby shampoo dive gear. I have also used the 500psi mask defog and it worked well for me.

finflippers
09-09-2007, 14:56
I used the paste to get the lenses ready and now I have a travel sized baby shampoo dive gear. I have also used the 500psi mask defog and it worked well for me.

I have tried the 500psi and it makes my stick on magnifying lenses come loose.

finflippers
09-09-2007, 14:59
I have tried the commercial stuff but it usually fogs up when I hit the first thermocline.

Do you know I have the same darn problem with the commercial stuff? I don't buy it. I only have a container because it came as a comp. item with my mask from ST.

I suppose each person is different, but I really just find spit to be the most effective.

I used to just spit in mine but find myself still having to flood my mask during the dive to be able to see. Since I switched to using Dawn dish washing detergent I have not had any fog ups.

Bring the Payne
09-11-2007, 22:58
500psi worked fine for me on my last mask.

Doug B
09-12-2007, 21:19
A friend of mine (who is an instructor/DM in Cancun) had some fog in his mask on one dive. He took it off underwater and was licking (yes licking) the lens with his tongue.

After licking it a few times, he put it back on, and the fog problem was gone for the rest of the dive.

Very funny indeed.

Bill22
09-14-2007, 00:41
I received a bottle of Sea Gold anti-fog gel. I have to admit that it works really well. It only takes a drop. I suspect that this small bottle will last quite a while. Always used spit before.

Stingray Brett
09-14-2007, 05:19
Spit Its Free!

JCAT
09-14-2007, 06:42
Yep, I'm a spit person as well. Have never had a problem so far, but I'll keep the mask licking tip in my bag of tricks now, just in case.

ScubaJenn81
09-14-2007, 07:11
I can never seem to get spit to work, maybe I am defective. I use baby shampoo as well and it seems to work fine for me.

rtrski
09-14-2007, 22:08
Any liquid type soap will do the trick for me (baby shampoo, Dawn dishwasher cleaner, etc.)

One caution though: NEVER use the toothpaste "de-coating" trick on a HydroOptix or any other sort of polycarbonate mask! The surfactants/grit in the toothpaste will haze the surface of plastics, and the HO mask in particular supposedly has an 'integrated' anti-fog coating on the interior anyway. (In my experience, that coating tends to saturate and soften and generate fog after many repetivitive dives without a good drying time between, but a rinse with fresh water to de-salt after the last dive and a new Dawn dip before the next has worked for me to minimize that)

Spit works too, but it's gotta be good thick lungers...not just wimpy saliva. And hawking loudly into your mask doesn't impress the lady divers. ;)

Kidder
09-14-2007, 22:30
I'm a spit man, myself. Its free, its plentiful, and you can't forget it.

jwdizney
09-15-2007, 09:48
i've used both the 500 psi and spit.. spit seems to last longer for me!

Black-Gorrilla
09-15-2007, 10:50
i did the tooth paste thing 2 times, and then for diving i use the commercial "spit" anti fog (like 3 bux for a little bottle)
and never have a problem.

RobT
09-16-2007, 04:07
For me it is Sea Drops. I tried the gold, didn't like it as it seemed to have a few clumps that were hard to even out. I put a couple drops in each side, spread it around, add a couple teaspoons of water in each. I then leave it like this until I am ready to get in the water. I dump out what water remains and am good for the entire dive.

I used to use spit. It worked for a while and then would start to fog. I would have to rinse the mask and clear during the dive. For only a few bucks a bottle for the Sea Drops, and they last forever, it just wasn't worth the bother to have to clear during a dive using spit.

kingfish
09-16-2007, 05:50
I have the gold and after numerous times putting too much on and having trouble with the clumping i found you only need the tinyest amount on each lense and it works well.
Will last a long time im tipping at that rate.
Its not really all that expensive either.:smiley2:

Jas.

Bill22
09-16-2007, 12:04
Actually one drop of the Sea Gold gel is probably more than enough ;-).... It comes out so thick that one drop is more like two normal drops from something less thick. It took a little practice to find the proper amount (put way to much the first time I used it). I put that drop in one side, spread it around, then use the residue on my finger to do the other lens. The bottle is going to last me a long time at that rate and is relativley cheap.

I put it in while I'm getting setup. It gets rinsed after I make it to the water, so it usually sets for a few minutes before it get's rinsed out. Never had a problem with fogging since I started using it. Did still occasionally have fogging when I was only using saliva before.. maybe my spit isn't thick enough ;-)