PDA

View Full Version : Why is it a bad idea to be intoxicated and dive?

scubasteven45
09-08-2007, 01:56
My buddy drinks heavily at night knowing the next day he wants to go diving. I have heard that this is not good but I can't tell him that. Please help me explian to him why this is not a good idea or is it?

Damselfish
09-08-2007, 02:17
Drinking is dehydrating, which is a contributing factor to DCS.

Diving while impaired (whether drunk, hungover, tired, whatever) is a bad idea. You may be impaired by narcosis as it is, you don't want to add to that. Diving is a pretty safe sport, but there are still a variety of ways to hurt or kill yourself.

Lone Frogman
09-08-2007, 07:12
Find a new dive buddy.

somewhereinla
09-08-2007, 07:45
The effect of alcohol or drugs will intensify a great deal as you go at depth. Look at your open water book, it's all explained in details. Diving with a buddy that drinks is not a good idea.

Scuba-Bill
09-08-2007, 08:03
Find a new dive buddy.

While a new dive buddy might be in your future. Talk to your friend, when he is sober, and give him the facts. Let him know that you can't dive with him if he continues to endanger the both of you.

Do a google search on 'drunk diving' and it will pull up some links that talk about issues related to drinking and diving.

If your buddy refuses to adjust his distructive ways, then it may be time for a new dive buddy.

Good luck,

Charlotte Smith
09-08-2007, 08:29
I totally agree! We actually had a couple of guys that would come on our boat and actually drink just before diving! We gave them the boot on the dives and told them we didn't mind the beer afterwards but NOT before! Who knows when you are going to act quickly in case of a problem...and I for one don't want to be put in that position.

Aussie
09-08-2007, 10:15
Ever dived with Russians? The water in their water bottle isnt water! Special Russian water. They say its anti freeze.

Aussie

cudachaser
09-08-2007, 16:33
Hey you drink and fly in space!

creggur
09-08-2007, 16:48
Tell him you'll celebrate the next day AFTER the dive...A drink or 2 the night before is probably no big deal, but it does effect everyone differently. If he's getting hammered the night before a dive that's something you need to address..

I mean if he's your dive buddy don't you want him at 100% in case you need his help for some reason...

cummings66
09-08-2007, 18:41
I'd suggest he's a drunk if he thinks it's ok to drink and dive and doesn't see the problems with it when sober. Is he sober for long?

Personally I'd give him a chance to shape up and the boot if he doesn't. Don't cut them slack, your life as well as his are on the line if he's not sober.

quarrydiver
09-08-2007, 23:28
Yup, I don't mix drinking and diving, won't dive with somebody who does. If something goes wrong, I want to be at 100%

DivingsInMyBlood
09-08-2007, 23:37
does he drink and drive as well?

kingfish
09-09-2007, 01:32
Drink and dive....bloody idiot!

Jas.

scubafreak
09-09-2007, 03:38

Jas.

Very good Jas, but only the Aussie will know why.

For all the non Aussies, here is why http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbaTy2RYhe0

thesmoothdome
09-09-2007, 10:12

Jas.

Very good Jas, but only the Aussie will know why.

For all the non Aussies, here is why http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbaTy2RYhe0

That was very haunting....right up until the bloody idiot part. I almost spit coffee at the screen. Would never have thought that would be part of the PSA. Powerful commercial though.

quarrydiver
09-09-2007, 10:27
Good ad, my wife's brother was killed by a drunk driver. We've had a couple of drunk drivers kill pedestrians and leave the scene within the last year. There's a place to drink... on the beach.

Disneymom
09-09-2007, 19:00
Wow - that ad was extremely moving - and to me, got the point across very effectively. very sobering (no pun intended)

As for drinking and diving, why would anyone??? The risks involved just seem too great. I hope you are able to get through to your dive buddy... or find another buddy.

Scubablue2
09-10-2007, 01:22
WOW! A drunk driver hit my daughter (2 y/o at the time) and I , She was in a coma for 3 days and I had 2 broken feet and Neck Lac from the seat belt!
Please don't Drink and Drive or Dive!!!

kingfish
09-10-2007, 02:15
Yeh they dont muck around when they are trying to get a message across here.....you should see the pictures on packets of cigarettes here now.

Jas.

Osprey
09-12-2007, 22:21
Canada has some interesting cig packaging as well. No photos (on the ones I saw anyway) just basically YOU'RE GOING TO GET CANCER AND DIE AND YOU KNOW IT

I later saw a sign at a McDonald's that said your hands spread love, joy, and salmonella

Having said that.. really gross commercial (though effective), and I think equally scary things could occur under the waves if someone's even a little tipsy. Better safe than sorry

greyzen
09-12-2007, 23:11
Well drinking the night before lowers your bodies level of water and also causes stress on major organs the next day... should you choose to push them it isn't that bright.

If he is bright eyed and bushy tailed in the morning, it's up to you if you want to risk your safety on his ability to be functionally drunk. I wouldn't do it personally, but physically he is running on less than optimal cylinders.

If you feel you "can't talk to him" about his level of drinking, it sounds like there is more than just his pre-dive drinking. If that is the case I would seriously consider looking at the bigger picture and making some determinations.

Charlotte Smith
09-12-2007, 23:18
Yeh they dont muck around when they are trying to get a message across here.....you should see the pictures on packets of cigarettes here now.

Jas.
You should post them maybe it would motivate me to quit.:smiley20:

ScuberDoober
09-13-2007, 02:12
I don't have enough brain cells as it is! lol Drinkinking and diving is really stupid!:smiley22:

kingfish
09-13-2007, 04:37
Couldnt find any pictures but i found a few ads that have been on over the last year...and some new ones.
Enjoy your next smoke.

I must warn thow the ads are pretty yuk!

http://www.quit.org.au/browse.asp?ContainerID=2007_tv_advertisement
http://www.quit.org.au/browse.asp?ContainerID=2006_tv_advertisement1

Jas.

dallasdivergirl
09-13-2007, 12:44
I used to dive with some one who would get high & dive.

That made for some pretty tense diving.

coralcrazed
09-13-2007, 13:33
My buddy drinks heavily at night knowing the next day he wants to go diving. I have heard that this is not good but I can't tell him that. Please help me explian to him why this is not a good idea or is it?

alcohol will dehidrate you and the obviouse is that it will impair your judgement in an emergency. sort of like nitrogen narcosis.

Bring the Payne
09-16-2007, 20:22
I would think it would be harder to find reasons FOR drinking and diving then it would be to find reasons against it.

diverdad
09-16-2007, 21:20
Most people have a hard time make very good judgement calls when intoxicated and when recovering the next day,plus all of the effects it has on your body. I myself quit drinking several years ago because a my mother-in-law had a wreck while driving drunk.And now she is paralized from the neck down and she was lucky. That was just driving a car, no life support equipment , think you need to talk to him or find a new buddy. What is more important your friendship or your life???

Capt Hook
09-16-2007, 23:59
You're kidding right?

jo8243
09-17-2007, 17:18
Dehydration is big, but obviously if you are hung-over you are not in a mental condition to dive. Pretty obvious really, and very immature for your buddy to put his and your life at risk, IMO. Time for a new buddy.

ccarter
09-18-2007, 10:20
You're kidding right?
Unfortunately probably not..

chefchris
09-18-2007, 10:23
after last night, I can understand why it's not a good idea to drink the night before diving.

Dang Long Island Iced Tea's are decieving.

DevilDiver
09-18-2007, 10:25
I really can't believe this post. How stupid can you get.

If you can't "find a way to explain it to him" how about telling to frigg'n quit it. Grow a pair.....

greyzen
09-18-2007, 10:30

If you can't "find a way to explain it to him" how about telling to frigg'n quit it. Grow a pair.....
:jawdropblue:

This isn't SB!!:fit:

BobArnold8265
09-18-2007, 10:32
You know I can't understand why anyone would risk diving with a hang over. Yes diving is a very safe sport when your mind is clear but intoxicated or hung over and you're just asking for trouble. Not to mention the increased risk of getting bent because you're dehydrated.

DevilDiver
09-18-2007, 10:40

:jawdropblue:

This isn't SB!!:fit:

Sorry... This topic makes me :smiley7:. I like to drink as much as the next person and there is nothing wrong with that. It is great to catch a buzz after the dive. Drinking before diving? I can't accept this.
Buddies are supposed to be straight with each other. I would not have an issue checking a buddy who I thought was screwing up, that's what we do.

Whatever happens I hope this turns out for the best, I do not wish bad on anyone. In the end a diver is responsible for themself......

Bill22
09-18-2007, 10:46
I concur with everyone else... the only thing that gets alcohol out of your system is time. If he's drinking heavily the night before and then getting up early to dive he's likely still impaired.

We had to deal with a guy recently who TOTALED his car (I work as a military policeman). He was lucky to walk away from it. He thought he was fine because he had went home and went to sleep after drinking and then got up the next morning to run errands. Problem was not enough TIME had passed and he was still under the influence.

It's really important as difficult as it may be to sit down with your buddy and have a talk with him about this. Trust me I know that will be difficult, but you might SAVE his life or someone elses. If he refuses to see the light, you're going to have to make a tough choice. Hope it works out for both of you...

greyzen
09-18-2007, 11:07
Sorry... This topic makes me :smiley7:. I like to drink as much as the next person and there is nothing wrong with that. It is great to catch a buzz after the dive. Drinking before diving? I can't accept this.
Buddies are supposed to be straight with each other. I would not have an issue checking a buddy who I thought was screwing up, that's what we do.

Whatever happens I hope this turns out for the best, I do not wish bad on anyone. In the end a diver is responsible for themself......

The message, I agree with and support, was only the delivery :)

Personally, I'm a huge advocate of safe drinking. Personally I'm not really a big drinker (normally the DD) and I have zero problems babysitting people who have had too much to drink. MY anger is when idiots drink and then drive/dive/etc.

From a personal perspective, if my buddy decided that drinking was fine the night before and they were fine diving the next day... I would ask the site to provide me a buddy and tell MY buddy to go back to the room. If they didn't care and thought I was being a jerk, they would not be welcome on my next dive... simple.

That being said, there are situations where tact is needed. For example, this buddy sounds like they might have addiction issues outside of drinking and diving. Abandoning this buddy might not be doing this buddy any favors. Disassociating yourself from a friend who has a problem isn't always the best idea, if you can help. Sitting down with an addict and trying to get through to them is a very hard thing and I don't anyone on this board is authorized to snub/demand/insult/argue/force/guilt anyone else on this board to speak to someone about their addictions. We don't live in their lives... we don't swim in their fins, we don't have the right to tell them how they should tell someone to live their life. (Did that make sense?)

:smiley2:

coralcrazed
09-19-2007, 10:59
I have a really good idea... the next time that your "buddy" decides to drink and than dive and you don't knw what to say to him, how about.... YOU ARE ENDANGERING BOTH OUR LIVES. its as simple as that.

Rick155
09-20-2007, 11:21
Aside from endangering his own life, someone who's impaired from a night of heavy drinking is endangering his buddy's life too. Even if he doesn't care about the risk to himself, he should at least care about the risk to others. This alone is reason not to dive with the guy. With so much information out there about DCS risk factors, intensification of alcohol's effects at depth, etc., what is this guy thinking?

Rick

ccarter
09-20-2007, 11:29
Aside from endangering his own life, someone who's impaired from a night of heavy drinking is endangering his buddy's life too. Even if he doesn't care about the risk to himself, he should at least care about the risk to others. This alone is reason not to dive with the guy. With so much information out there about DCS risk factors, intensification of alcohol's effects at depth, etc., what is this guy thinking?

Rick
It amazes me the decisions some people make even with mountains of evidence screaming at them and their bad judgment.

deepdiver47
09-20-2007, 11:42

Rick
It amazes me the decisions some people make even with mountains of evidence screaming at them and their bad judgment.

Bingo...like smoking and drugs....