PDA

View Full Version : Mesh bags

seahorsey
06-17-2010, 11:50
Bought the $ 24 ScubaToys brand mesh bag and really liked it when I got it, had every feature I wanted, large, easy to load, extra pockets etc. Except the second time ever I picked it up, the strap broke loose. And no, I didn't have any weights in it, just one set of basic scuba equipment, and not dripping wet either! On closer inspection, the plastic buckles there seemed quite thin, and had broken straight through. When I came home, I sent Joey an email to that effect, just to vent, basically, and also to let them know they have to inspect their stock to see if all buckles are thin like that. Guess what he did? He sent me, for free, the AKONA mesh bag as a replacement! Which is twice as expensive. AND he paid for all shipping costs to Canada, too! Now THAT is impressive customer service! Wow. I'm impressed. And, needless to say, the Akona is a BEAUT! That mesh is so strong, you could carry crocodiles in there. Not just laundry bag mesh like the other one. The straps are lined with soft velvet-like material, and are anatomically cut. Huge, sturdy and comfortable bag with even MORE extra pockets. Love it! I hope their other mesh bags have the buckle problem fixed now, that it was just one shipment, other than that, it was a nice bag, too. But the Akona is just top-drawer, and so it Scuba Toys customer service!!

brojack17
06-17-2010, 12:04
Glad you had a good experience with them. I have yet to hear a horror story from one of their customers.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

LeeParrish
06-17-2010, 12:14
Darn, mine has been holding up well even though I've dragged it now all over the world, usually overstuffed and I'm always grabbing it by one strap. Just when you want something to break, it never will!

ontheheap
06-17-2010, 23:02
Glad you are happy!

dannybot
06-19-2010, 09:09
I have four of them. They hold up pretty well, except the grommet around the draw string has come loose on two of them. Must say, I am impressed with the service people say they receive from ST.

LeeParrish
06-20-2010, 12:11
Same thing here, the grommet around the draw string has come loose, but it really hasn't been much of a problem, and the drain grommet at the bottom is a little rusty after sitting with a little too much salt on it for too long, but otherwise it's holding up fairly well.

seahorsey
06-20-2010, 21:08
Well then if yours all held up so long, I guess the supplier just sneakily changed THEIR supplier for the buckles recently. These even LOOKED very thin and broke out real easy. But I'm happy. Was a bit of a PITA for two weeks of IDC, but I've ended up with an awesome bag now and am very happy.

fisheater
06-20-2010, 22:42
NICE!

I have both the ST mesh bag and the Akona one. The ST version is much less "beefy." Getting both for the price of the ST one is a big score.