PDA

View Full Version : Why are stainless steel straps only accessories?

lmorin
09-08-2007, 10:03
I made myself a pair of stainless steel fin straps and really like them. I also have looked around for the following combination: very light weight (for travel purposes), medium size and stiffness, with SS straps. Can't find any such beast. The first problem is that I cannot find a company making SS straps either standard or optional on a pair of fins. As far as I can tell, all open heel fins are sold with typical straps designed and often patented by the particular manufacturer. I don't want to pay twice for straps, particularly when the originals are more prone to failure than the SS straps. Anybody else want SS as a standard fin option?

BSea
09-08-2007, 10:09
I am just guessing here, but I doubt it would save you much if they added the spring straps instead of regular straps. And fins aren't something that most divers switch out often, so in the big scheme of things once you get your spring straps, you should be good for many years. And in the unlikely event you ever break a spring strap, you'll have the original straps for backup.

Aussie
09-08-2007, 10:17
Some fins are now coming out with stainless springs.

I think they all should personally

Aussie

Phestr
09-09-2007, 05:23
I just read about Atomic Aquatics Smoke on the Water Fins in SCUBA Diver magazine (Thanx, Larry), and they come with SS straps. They look pretty sweet, too. ScubaToys doesn't carry them, but you should be able to find them.

http://www.atomicaquatics.com/smoke_splitfin.html

Bill22
09-14-2007, 00:46
My original straps went right into the save-a-dive kit. Never even used them. I got the EZ Spring Fin Straps at the same time I bought my fins and replaced the factory straps immediately. Does seem a little odd that more of the manufacturers don't make them standard. Especially given that so many people replace them so quickly.

ScubaToys Larry
09-14-2007, 01:16
I just read about Atomic Aquatics Smoke on the Water Fins in SCUBA Diver magazine (Thanx, Larry), and they come with SS straps. They look pretty sweet, too. ScubaToys doesn't carry them, but you should be able to find them.

We carry all the atomic stuff... or can get it. We are just not allowed to ship their products inside the US if there is another dealer near you.

And Apollo has an option to buy theirs with stainless straps as well.

CompuDude
09-14-2007, 10:50
I bought my Apollo Bio Fin XT-C's with the factory spring straps. Love them.

My Jet fins came with rubber straps that have never been used... I tore them off and installed spring straps as soon as I got them home. Ditto for my OMS slipstreams. And one of these days I'll be picking a pair of Mares Quattros, and those OEM rubber straps will have a lifetime measured in minutes as well...

Bill22
09-14-2007, 12:29
We carry all the atomic stuff... or can get it. We are just not allowed to ship their products inside the US if there is another dealer near you.

So does that mean you can ship outside the US?

chuckm
09-29-2007, 08:59
Dive Rite also offers fins with spring straps. I know ScubaToys carries some Dive Rite gear but I don't see the fins on website.

ScubaToys Larry
09-29-2007, 09:12

We carry them... just can't sell them in the US as they have a dealer network we can't infringe on... their rules... But we can ship them over to our customers in Japan or other overseas areas.

ScubaToys Larry
09-29-2007, 09:13

So does that mean you can ship outside the US?

Yes.

Flatliner
09-29-2007, 09:35
My Dive Rites came with SS Straps. Any rules on those Larry?

ScaredSilly
09-30-2007, 23:09
I think the reason SS straps are not std on most fins is cost and need. I have broken one rubber strap in 15 years of diving. But will admit to replacing two others before they broke. I replaced one for another diver this spring. So for the most part they do give long term serviceability with low cost. Though they do offer the ulitmate in reliability SS straps are more expensive. My suggestion to divers is to carry one complete strap assembly in their save-a-dive kit. By complete, I mean strap and any and all of the plastic bits (i.e. the quick release for both sides) that might come with it - never know when some dork will drop a cylinder on your fin.