PDA

View Full Version : fishing under water

Kidder
09-08-2007, 10:19
Hey there,
Has anyone fished under water? not spear fishing. I have a spear gun. But what I am talking about is some line a hook and some bait while say swimming up on cat fish at night. It technically still fishing right? Does anyone know the legality of this? Has anyone done it?

BSea
09-08-2007, 10:20
Hey there,
Has anyone fished under water? not spear fishing. I have a spear gun. But what I am talking about is some line a hook and some bait while say swimming up on cat fish at night. It technically still fishing right? Does anyone know the legality of this? Has anyone done it?How do you cast?:)

finflippers
09-08-2007, 10:22
I have never tried it but there is a fishing pole for that. http://www.scubastik.com/

WV Diver
09-08-2007, 10:23
I have done it. It is a blast. No regulation problems that I am aware of as it is still with hook and line but check your local regs to be sure. We put a two or three foot piece of line in the middle of a short stick and bait it with a piece of hot dog and catch some monster channel cats. It is quite a battle with a 20" catfish at the end of a short line.

WV Diver
09-08-2007, 10:28
I have never tried it but there is a fishing pole for that. http://www.scubastik.com/
This doesn't look like nearly as much fun. Catfish go absolutely ballistic when they discover the are hooked.

Kidder
09-08-2007, 10:28

That is an awesome video. Its exactly what I am talking about. Thats very cool.

Kidder
09-08-2007, 10:31
This doesn't look like nearly as much fun. Catfish go absolutely ballistic when they discover the are hooked.

I bet it gets pretty crazy even especially if you hook a big one. duelling fish while swiming. I like the challenge.

finflippers
09-08-2007, 10:34

That is an awesome video. Its exactly what I am talking about. Thats very cool.

If you happen to try one let me know how it works out.

Kidder
09-08-2007, 10:44
Will do. This is something I've gotta try. Fighting fish on thier turf.

WV Diver
09-08-2007, 10:47
Will do. This is something I've gotta try. Fighting fish on thier turf.
It's a blast but be warned, they are very smart, you might catch two but probably not three. Make sure you get the big one first cause once the fight starts the others get wary.

Kidder
09-08-2007, 10:51
Good to know. I bet the distress that a fish experiences by fighting you. Tells the others to get out of dodge pretty quickly. It still looks like fun though.

WV Diver
09-08-2007, 10:52
Good to know. I bet the distress that a fish experiences by fighting you. Tells the others to get out of dodge pretty quickly. It still looks like fun though.
They may still hang around but they won't be eating anything while you're around.

Kidder
09-08-2007, 10:59
I imagine that I'll just have to move a distance to find other unsuspecting cats.

WV Diver
09-08-2007, 11:01
I imagine that I'll just have to move a distance to find other unsuspecting cats.:smiley20: Yeah that will work, I don't have that option where we go.

finflippers
09-08-2007, 11:03
My luck the catfish would get even by poking holes in my BC bladders.

Kidder
09-08-2007, 11:05
Yup they may try to get spiteful on you. I imagine you'd have to take them up to a boat shortly after catching them.

WV Diver
09-08-2007, 12:35
Yup they may try to get spiteful on you. I imagine you'd have to take them up to a boat shortly after catching them.
No, we just put them in a mesh bag. They tire and you can get a hold of them and unhook them and put them in the bag.

WV Diver
09-08-2007, 12:36
Send me a PM and let me know how it works out for you. When will you be able to go?

Kidder
09-08-2007, 12:44
Mess bag eh? This sound cooler all of the time. I'd lake to do it in Table rock lake MO, But its getting late in the season and my wife is due in Oct. I may have to try some place a bit more local (possibly a quarry) if I can get permission. I'll PM you on how it goes.

underwaterdan
09-08-2007, 18:06
That seems really really cool seems like it is more fun then spearing...

Kidder
09-08-2007, 18:11
I think so to. Plus there will be a lot less regulations and you know where they are.

finflippers
09-08-2007, 18:17
I think so to. Plus there will be a lot less regulations and you know where they are.

You would defiantly have an advantage over anyone fishing from a boat, sitting there looking at them LOL. Since you are using a fishing pole I would think you would have to use the same regulations as if you was fishing off of a boat.

WV Diver
09-08-2007, 18:19

You would defiantly have an advantage over anyone fishing from a boat, sitting there looking at them LOL. Since you are using a fishing pole I would think you would have to use the same regulations as if you was fishing off of a boat.
Yes the regs are the same, it doesn't matter if you are above or below the surface. However there are, often times, different regs for spearfishing.

Charlotte Smith
09-11-2007, 11:35
Sounds cool to me...we can't spear Bass in our lakes but we see some monsters .....let us all know how the stick works for you....

msprzeor
09-11-2007, 12:37
I'm just glad to hear we aren't the only ones who thought about trying this.. maybe we'll give it a go this weekend and post back. Lots of largemouth bass and cats at the lake. I'll keep you guys posted!

Kidder
09-11-2007, 21:01
Please post what you come up with. I would love to know. If you can take pictures under water. When you hook sommething.

skdvr
09-11-2007, 22:05
I too would be interested in seeing this. I have an old bow fishing rig that I may try under water. It is a 3 eye rod that has a huge Zebco 808 reel on it with 120 lbs test rope as line. It has an actual hand hold so I think that it would be easy to keep a hold of underwater even when the big bad catfish is fighting you. I may not be able to get out and give it a shot for a while but I will let you know when I do...

Phil

Kidder
09-12-2007, 07:13
I'm wondering if your reel would hold up. Do you think it is stainless or corrosion resistant?

skdvr
09-12-2007, 07:51
Oh it would hold up for a while anyway... Maybe not for years. All I can do is try. Then if nothing else just tie a line to the rod...

Phil

diverdad
09-14-2007, 18:36
it sounds fun but i would be a little woried if i hooked anything to big it might decide to take me places i didn't want to go.

Stingray Brett
09-14-2007, 20:34
it sounds fun but i would be a little woried if i hooked anything to big it might decide to take me places i didn't want to go.

:smiley21: I would not want that to happen. I would be in some serious trouble

Kidder
09-14-2007, 21:45

It would be part of the adventure. swiming duel with something that lives under the water. A real challenge! If worst comes to worst make sure you have plenty of line to surface and use your buoyancy to fight. :smiley2:

CrzyJay456
09-30-2007, 00:37
i just read the OP, and love how it ends with "it's still fishing right?"
lol
after i saw the underwater golf, i dont see why not just take a rod and reel, maybe a weighted stool to sit on, and put a small float on the line, set the hook, and fish from the bottom up.

Stingray Brett
09-30-2007, 08:12
If you want to have a seat underwater or above put two safety sausages and a spearfishing pole in the middle and its your own little seat!

Looks like this l-l at least thats how i pictured it.

Kidder
09-30-2007, 09:49
If you want to have a seat underwater or above put two safety sausages and a spearfishing pole in the middle and its your own little seat!

Looks like this l-l at least thats how i pictured it.

That might work. I would be worried about messing up the spear fishing pole. If you just inflate you BC and kick there's no way your going to get dragged someplace you don't want to go. :smiley2:

eyezz
10-09-2007, 21:43
Any one try this in saltwater, It sound to cool I want to try.

kyfriedchipper
10-09-2007, 23:44
Also might hook yourself or your BCD if you weren't too careful!

danielh03
10-13-2007, 23:32

I bet it gets pretty crazy even especially if you hook a big one. duelling fish while swiming. I like the challenge.

You could have him pull you along i guess, but some of them around my area are freakin HUGE

Jipps
10-22-2007, 17:57
that would be awsome for some of the dive i do in West Palm Beach. I typically see HUGE schools of yellowtail, but they are a pain to try and spear. let me know how it works for you guys.

kenmendes
10-26-2007, 12:30
Originally Posted by finflippers http://forum.scubatoys.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.scubatoys.com/hunting-gathering/3212-fishing-under-water.html#post47641)
I have never tried it but there is a fishing pole for that. Scuba Stik! (http://www.scubastik.com/)

That vidoe is pretty cool

Tableleg
11-05-2007, 11:45
I was joking with my brother the other day that the next time he goes fishing, I'd scuba down and scare all the fish up to his hook.

Forget that idea! We're both going fishing and we'll see who catches more! :smiley36:

moosicman
11-05-2007, 12:28
i'm not multitalented enough to scuba dive, fish with a hook and NOT kill myself all at the same time...lol...but sounds like it would be kinda fun

RoadRacer1978
11-05-2007, 12:50
You caould always scout areas ahead of time on Scuba and find good spots to fish. I have seem the nderwater fishing pole and looked like fun to try, but not for the price.

divingchef
11-05-2007, 17:03
Isnīt that why they make us do surface intervals? Not for the Nitrogen, but to bottom fish? Not sure I would enjoy underwater "fishing"
Any IGFA ruling on this? What if I catch a World Record, does it count? You actually never "land" or "boat" the fish technically.....I donīt think it would count......anybody know?

RoadRacer1978
11-05-2007, 17:53
The scuba Stik Scuba Stik! (http://www.scubastik.com/) is an underwater fishing pole. They have contacted a few states and those states all say that the Scuba Stik falls under the state guidlines as fishing and would only require a fishing license. Can't say how other organizations about record fish would see it, but if you really wanted to know you could e-mail them at Scuba Stik and see if they can find out.

The Scuba Stik! (http://www.scubastik.com/faq.htm)

ScubaFisher
11-20-2007, 19:43
I see that Scuba Stik lowered their prices quite a bit from when I saw them at the 'Our World Underwater' retail show in Chicago last February. I know what I am asking for for Xmas.

WV Diver
11-21-2007, 07:10
Guys, be careful with catfish. Once they go ballistic and the end of the line there is always the possibility of getting a spine in you. I have never seen this happen while fishing but at the lake a few weeks back a young fella was feeding the catfish and got a huge spine (barb) stuck in the back of his hand. We had to use pliers to get it out.

Cats have spines in the dorsal fin and both pectoral fins. While they are not poisonous, as many believe, they can be covered with harmful bacteria and can cause bad infections.

The spines can not be shot out by the fish either. You have to put your hand down on a spine or run into it to have a problem.

Just a thought. This boy was failing around while in the middle of a feeding frenzy. He nor anyone else knows why he was doing this, just being a kid I guess.