PDA

View Full Version : How to become a vegetarian?

Largo
06-18-2010, 20:26
Does anyone have advice on how to healthfully become meat-free?

It's not a moral issue. I like eating animals. I'm just interested to find out what it would be like.

bennerman
06-18-2010, 20:40
wanna know what it will be like?

1. Point gun at head
2. Squeeze trigger
3. ????
4. Profit!

Largo
06-18-2010, 20:48
Well, that's certainly good advice.

But! I was looking for the kind of advice which is helpful.

tonka97
06-18-2010, 20:50
Does anyone have advice on how to healthfully become meat-free?

It's not a moral issue. I like eating animals. I'm just interested to find out what it would be like.

Appears that you are not sincere in this query.:smilie40:

Eat what you like.:smiley20:

For the last 40 years, I have been a vegetarian, and have no problem eating wonderfully nutritious and tasty veg. foods. There is a plethora of veg. diet books available.:smiley20:

scubastud
06-18-2010, 20:53
I cannot imagine life without yummy steaks and chicken and bacon..

Largo
06-18-2010, 20:53
I actually don't have ethical issues, but I feel better when I limit meat in my diet.

What do you use to replace animal proteins?

Can you recommend a good veg book?

bennerman
06-18-2010, 21:01
My contributive post of the day:
From what I heard on Good Eats, Edamame (a baby soy bean) is one of the few non-meats that possesses complete protein. I think that would be your best bet to make up for the lack of meat.

Largo
06-18-2010, 21:02
My contributive post of the day:
From what I heard on Good Eats, Edamame (a baby soy bean) is one of the few non-meats that possesses complete protein. I think that would be your best bet to make up for the lack of meat.

Too much soy is bad for male humans.

bennerman
06-18-2010, 21:03
well I tried... right? :p

mzbdiver
06-18-2010, 22:45
Drink low-fat milk (especially chocolate milk) and enriched grains to supplement Protein. It's worked for me for 15 years :D

Tassie Diver
06-19-2010, 03:03
Okay, I'll take a stab at a serious answer...

My wife and I've been vego for 12 years. We eat a lot of food, just nothing with a face. Good variety and decent quanitity is our goal. We don't specifically aim to increase protein intake, but include tofu and pulses in general in most of our meals. I think the reason we get away with it is quanitity AND quality. Our food is mostly fresh and we a eat a lot of it. We are not vegan, they're just weird ;) We eat eggs and dairy products.

Some of the most interesting (and flavoursome) vego dishes come from India. Lots of vegetarians there, and lots of exciting flavours.

As a full grown male, we don't have a lot of protein requirements (contrary to popular myth).

We also stopped eating meat for health reasons, but after a few years, one is entitled to be a little self righteous. Especially when driving past cattle feed lots, or pig farms...

Pandora
06-19-2010, 08:27
You might start by just removing the mammals and fowls from your diet. My 13 year old has been a Pescetarian for 2 years. She eats fish, dairy and eggs. It would be very easy for her to go vegetarian at this point.

dannybot
06-19-2010, 09:12
I have tried a couple times, but never achieved success. There just seemed like there weren't enough hours in the day to get the calories I need. But if you can do it, more power to you.

scubastud
06-19-2010, 09:38
I only eat the faces of animals

Largo
06-19-2010, 10:04

Have you ever had soused pig's face? It sounds delicious.

Quero
06-19-2010, 16:42
Okay, I'll take a stab at a serious answer...

My wife and I've been vego for 12 years. We eat a lot of food, just nothing with a face. Good variety and decent quanitity is our goal. We don't specifically aim to increase protein intake, but include tofu and pulses in general in most of our meals. I think the reason we get away with it is quanitity AND quality. Our food is mostly fresh and we a eat a lot of it. We are not vegan, they're just weird ;) We eat eggs and dairy products.

Some of the most interesting (and flavoursome) vego dishes come from India. Lots of vegetarians there, and lots of exciting flavours.

As a full grown male, we don't have a lot of protein requirements (contrary to popular myth).

We also stopped eating meat for health reasons, but after a few years, one is entitled to be a little self righteous. Especially when driving past cattle feed lots, or pig farms...

TD, you said nearly everything I wanted to say!
1) People put too much emphasis on protein intake and most adults in developed countries consume many times more protein than their bodies require (additionally, it's actually unhealthy for the body to do so).
2) Veggie food is filling and nutritious
3) I also eat dairy and eggs and am not vegan
4) Indian food is varied, delicious, and healthy, and veggie Thai food is too.

I'd also like to add:
5) some people who say they're veggie eat fish (I don't get it, but they insist they're vegetarian, so I guess they don't consider marine life to be animals) ("Pescatarian" is a new word to me, but it fits these people.)
6) I became veggie gradually, and in terms of advice for Largo, that's one way to go about it. First I stopped eating red meat (this was a result of mad-cow in the UK where I lived in the 80's to early 90's); then I became a diver and couldn't stand to eat the animals I was observing (sort of like going to a safari park and then sitting down to a dinner of zebra or giraffe afterwards), and finally bird-flu here in Asia chopped fowl out of my diet. At that point I noticed that my digestion improved markedly and I felt generally healthier. Now my electron tomography slides show not even a trace of plaque in my heart, which is very rare for a person of my age, so I know it's not just an imagined effect. I also did a week-long fasting and purifying regimen under supervision at a wellness center here to get rid of accumulated toxins in my digestive tract, and I had hardly any build-up (and none of the tarry black stuff that meat-eaters have), so that's more evidence in my particular case.
7) It doesn't have to be all or nothing. My husband eats mostly veggie meals for health reasons, but he still enjoys the occasional meat or seafood or poultry meal. If a craving strikes, it won't kill you to have the occasional slice of bacon or hunk of meat, though it does taste different once you become unaccustomed to eating animal flesh and fat. To me personally, a steak now has the texture and taste of blood-soaked cardboard, and bacon is like tree bark steeped in smoked fat. Globules of chicken fat floating on soup is disgusting (and stinks). If I wanted to go back to a meat-based diet, I'd have to introduce the foods gradually, the same way I omitted them from my diet in the first place.

bennerman
06-19-2010, 17:14

You owe me a new computer :smilie39:

boates
06-19-2010, 17:40
The Moosewood Cookbook & Enchanted Brocoholi Forest both Amy Katzen

Fresh at home, Ruth Tal Brown, Jennifer Houston (my favorite) 2nd book, Refresh, a bit repetitive, but some great new additions. These books also have alot of info re requirements and combining for nutrition

Tassie Diver
06-19-2010, 22:34
TD, you said nearly everything I wanted to say! ...
And you finished the bits I missed! Yes, Thai vego food is great, too.

The thing I find with good vego food is that the cook has actually had to pay some attention to the spices and flavouring that goes into it, rather than just relying on the flavours of burnt flesh :smiley11::smiley2:

I also find it really odd that we can all go diving and admire the purdy fish... and then eat them. As Bruce said, "Fish are friends, not food.":smiley31:

navyhmc
06-19-2010, 22:59
TD, you said nearly everything I wanted to say! ...
And you finished the bits I missed! Yes, Thai vego food is great, too.

The thing I find with good vego food is that the cook has actually had to pay some attention to the spices and flavouring that goes into it, rather than just relying on the flavours of burnt flesh :smiley11::smiley2:

I also find it really odd that we can all go diving and admire the purdy fish... and then eat them. As Bruce said, "Fish are friends, not food.":smiley31:

but, depneding on the fish, tasty, tasty friends! :smiley36:

scubaman450
06-20-2010, 08:13
For years and years I eat only "Dude food" and then One day I came to find I was getting to be one of the "Big Boys" so I started to eat right (no sugers and Bad fats no fryed food) But I have been killing my meat for so long that I just don't know how anyone can go without eat meat, Don't get me wrong I eat out of my garden all year long but I eat out of the hills too. Both just seem to go hand in hand.
I like to shoot fish to.......seems to me When I was getting my C-card in 75 almost everyone was there so they can shoot fish and get junk off the bottom. I don't think anyone was there so they can go look at coral.
Any way, thing is----we all eat what feels good Right? If we eat meat then we eat meat if we don't then we get way more beans, if you eat more beans and dive a dry suit then you use less lead.

scubagirlj
06-20-2010, 09:34
after seeing the movie/docu "food", it kind of ruined eating meat of any kind(poultry, pork, beef) and the slide show of the worms in most of todays seafood(especially farmed) was really gross-have eating been lots of legumes, whole grains,veggies, & love greek yougurt-will eat eggs but only from local distrubutors-BUT, every once in a while i have a weak moment & big greasy cheeseburger or nice filet beckons(usually after some alcohol consumption)-as mentioned, vego indian/thai or anything asian will be a more than satisfying

scubastud
06-20-2010, 10:52
Don't really care what one eats or doesn't eat. I just want to tell the vegans out there that before you get all high and mighty, holier than thou remember..

An estimated sixty thousand field mice and rabbits are KILLED by soy bean harvesters every year in Ohio alone!
So.. the more soybean you eat, the more bunnies and other God's creatures are murdered for your eating pleasure.

:smiley2:

qwertyhoot
07-27-2010, 12:59
You can add lots of rice and legumes, tofu, some veggies have a fair amount of protein. Don't forget nuts.

The meat replacements ore pretty good, but keep in mind that they are a processed food, so aren't the healthiest choice when compared with whole foods like legumes with rice.

I have a yummy lentil taco recipe I can give you a link to if you are interested. :)

russp
07-28-2010, 14:10
I'm in show business and we seem to have more than our fair share of vegetarians and vegans (I'm not one). The one's I see on a regular basis seem to be sick more often and eat way too much soy which is not good (especially for males). I've also noticed the vegan food pyramid includes supplements; I wouldn't think a healthy diet needed supplements.

chinacat46
07-28-2010, 14:28
A friend of mines son is a vegan but he smokes cigarettes. You would think smoking is worse for you then meat and other foods. Just seems funny to me.

Noob
07-28-2010, 14:49
Hmmm, I always thought you became a vegetarian if you were a poor hunter.

navyhmc
07-28-2010, 20:31
It can be Nooob...

I have a friend that's a sort of vegan/vegetarian...The nice thing is that she doens't force here dietary style on me...Which is good, I still love a nice thick juicy ribeye or prime rib. But the rest of my meal is vegan: Baked Potato and Garlic Salad. Some of the best Garlic salad I've evere had is in this little mom and pop steak house in Wichita, called Doc's Steak House. The brother owns Walls Drug in Wall, South Dakota

russp
09-07-2010, 12:35
Just had a catering company at one of our shows that didn't quite understand the concept. They made a nice vegetarian spaghetti with a meatless tomato sauce with diced up vegetables mixed in but then stirred in a few dozen meatballs before it was served. And yes, they were real meat meatballs, I had to ask even though I didn't care. The little sign said vegeterian spaghetti and meatballs!

BRsnow
09-08-2010, 23:25
The better shape and more active I become the less meat I find myself eating. It is all about feeling good, some people feel great with fried food and the couch, some like like steaks, some like vegetables...Whatever helps you live a healthy full life, nothing wrong with being a veggie...There is a reason McDonalds is so busy no doubt. BR

Tassie Diver
09-08-2010, 23:53
... The little sign said vegeterian spaghetti and meatballs!

Well I suppose the spaghetti had no meat in it, so technically, that part was vegetarian!:smiley36::smiley36::smiley36:

Bob-B
09-09-2010, 19:27
As much as I do like vegetables, and can make a meal out of a big salad, a friend of mine has a tee shirt that sums up how I feel.

"I'll become a Vegetarian when bacon grows on trees"

Throw another steak on the grill, I'm going to get another beer.

Aquatrax
09-09-2010, 19:35

Just glancing through the thread, for a second I thought you said feces

scubastud
09-09-2010, 20:56
OK I figured oud a great compromise/solution.
Every vegatarian and vegan I know are pro-abortion.

If farmers stop butchering live cows and take the unborn calf from the momma cow's womb, we could eat the meat we crave, and the veggie people should't be upset..I mean it's just another abortion ya know.

By the way, once you tried cow fetus, you will never go back to veal... talk about tender! :smiley20:

want2Bdivin
09-30-2010, 08:00
Stud- you are SICK man.........

hey do you have an idea where I can get some of that cow fetus, that sounds GOOOOOOOOOOOOD? :smilie39:

Gonnagettanked
09-30-2010, 12:13

:smilie39::smilie39:

Gonnagettanked
09-30-2010, 12:21
You can add lots of rice and legumes, tofu, some veggies have a fair amount of protein. Don't forget nuts.

The meat replacements ore pretty good, but keep in mind that they are a processed food, so aren't the healthiest choice when compared with whole foods like legumes with rice.

I have a yummy lentil taco recipe I can give you a link to if you are interested. :)

No offense but somehow I can't fathom Yummy and Lentil taco in the same sentence

alpha
09-30-2010, 12:25

If farmers stop butchering live cows and take the unborn calf from the momma cow's womb, we could eat the meat we crave, and the veggie people should't be upset..I mean it's just another abortion ya know.

By the way, once you tried cow fetus, you will never go back to veal... talk about tender! :smiley20:

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

First time i"ve checked out this thread....:smilie39:

Largo....B12 injections (cyanocobalamine)...Enjoy the monthly I.M. shot...

Gonnagettanked
09-30-2010, 12:26

:smilie39::smilie39: You're killing me man!

alpha
09-30-2010, 13:44
I also did a week-long fasting and purifying regimen under supervision at a wellness center here to get rid of accumulated toxins in my digestive tract, and I had hardly any build-up (and none of the tarry black stuff that meat-eaters have), so that's more evidence in my particular case.

Because I do not want people to feel safe & secure with any one lifestyle or choice, I need to inform you of some things to look for in stool samples.

Also, my body composition is probably over half toxic so I cannot afford to totally cleans myself...:smiley2:
It's funny but really it's probably true.

I need to clarify reasons for stool colors, it's way more than 1 reason, and the above falls short.

Green, Black, or Tarry Stools: What Does It Mean? on MedicineNet.com (http://www.medicinenet.com/stool_color/article.htm)
I will rapidly list some quotes from it's 3 short pages...

1.Stool (feces) is most commonly brown in color
2.The color of stool is normally due to the presence of bile, specifically, the bilirubin in bile. Bilirubin is formed from hemoglobin (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=8059) after hemoglobin is released from red blood cells during their destruction, a part of the normal process of replacing the red blood cells in blood. (This is our blood replacement not what we eat)
3. Depending on the concentration of bilirubin, bile can vary from almost black to light yellow in color.
4. These changes depend primarily on the speed with which the intestinal contents traverse the intestines (Intestinal Transit time primarily determines color as the other factors are usually more constant and this is the easiest to change with volume eaten/fluid intake/ osmotic gradients/emotional state/illness/etc.
etc.)
5. If the intestinal contents travel at a normal speed, stool is light to dark brown.
6. If the intestinal contents travel more rapidly, chemical changes to bilirubin - and/or the lack of them - may turn the stool green.
7. If there is no bilirubin (bile) in the stool, the stool is a gray, clay-like color, an important change in color since it suggests that the flow of bile into the intestine is blocked.
8. bleeding into the intestines (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=1931). The stool may turn black
9. black also is more likely if the bleeding occurs in the upper intestine
10. Stool that is black due to bleeding is also "sticky" (tarry) and smells bad.
11. These latter characteristics help distinguish black stools due to internal bleeding (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=100985) from black stools due to the ingestion of iron or bismuth-containing medicines, for example, bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=45796)).
12. bleeding that occurs lower in the intestines, particularly in the colon, is likely to cause red or maroon-colored stools
13. . When pancreatic enzymes are not present in the intestine, fat is not fully digested. If the content of undigested fat is high enough, stool may become a yellowish color. The stool also appears "greasy" and smells bad.
14. If there is both blood and undigested fat in the stool, the stool may become silver.
15. Several ingested substances can change the color of stool. Iron and bismuth-containing medications, for example, Pepto Bismol, turn the stool black. Beets and possibly some other red vegetables and fruits can turn stool a reddish color. Food dyes used for coloring foods also may color the stool
__________________________________________________ _________________
Quero quote::: none of the tarry black stuff that meat-eaters have)
------Wrong. Read 8,9, & 10 above.
This is a human problem not prevented by a vegetarian diet. It will however be harder to be observed with the additional plant material and probably not quite as tarry but it may be something you need to check for in a different manner.

Assuming no problems listed above, eating more ruffage would normally add more volume in the intestine along with more fluids and thus speed intestinal transit and lower intestinal transit times. The result would usually be a lighter stool.

Gonnagettanked
10-01-2010, 07:22
overshare!
:poop::poop::poop::anim_puke:

TJDiver
10-01-2010, 07:41
The vegans can have their tofu burgers. I'll stick with dead critters on the grill. :smiley20:

want2Bdivin
10-01-2010, 12:28
No mention of corn, interesting.......

cmburch
10-01-2010, 12:41
I never understood why someone would make a tofu burger, chicken like tofu, veal Parmesan type tofu, etc. Why would a vegetarian want something that looked or tasted like meat?

I have eaten a vegetarian type tofu sandwich that was shaped like a burger (not a garden burger). It was very good with dill pickle and other "greens".

My daughter got the special non-meat substitute in daycare. It was surprising that other children preferred the non-meat veal Parmesan and other non-meat substitutes.

Simple sandwiches can be done that are very tasty such as a roasted eggplant or roasted bell pepper sandwich with avocado, sprouts, strange lettuce type leaves, multigrain bread, some balsamic vinegar/oil concoction instead of mayonnaise. Allergy nightmare for some.

Corn: Corn chowder, corn on the cob, hush puppies, corn bread, corn pollenta.

Try eating red beets or drinking purple grape juice if desiring to change the color of things. The only tarry black stuff I have seen is at the beach after an oil spill. Bad on the feet. People with ulcers?

scubastud
10-01-2010, 17:48
cmburch.. never thought of it like that.. yea.
I don't have the urge to make a steak look like asparagus or granola....

Suther2136
01-11-2011, 21:22
Appears that you are not sincere in this query.:smilie40:

Eat what you like.:smiley20:

For the last 40 years, I have been a vegetarian, and have no problem eating wonderfully nutritious and tasty veg. foods. There is a plethora of veg. diet books available.:smiley20:

Veggies make such a good stuffing for animal carcasses.

alpha
01-11-2011, 21:50
Veggies make such a good stuffing for animal carcasses.

Quite cruel...but funny...:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:......

scubadiver888
01-12-2011, 10:49

Just glancing through the thread, for a second I thought you said feces

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

FoxHound
01-12-2011, 12:26
vegetables arent food.....they are what food eats :P

Davetowz
01-12-2011, 17:34
My ancestors did not fight the battle up the food chain to graze.

BRsnow
01-12-2011, 17:41
People are very insecure, if someone does something different they feel the need to validate how they live their lives...Always going to have fast food and grease out there for folks, so no worries if someone chooses to eat a bit different....BR

clara
01-20-2011, 02:29
Good point BR. It also looks like there is a lot of posting to get to the magic number for the gift certificate. :-)
I once tried to go total vegetarian and it just didn't work out. I stepped down from red meat and went to chicken and fish first. Then went to just fish and then nothing. Believe me it wasn't easy! Years ago when I tried it there wasn't much info out there to be had. Now that is a different story.
I know several people, one is actually a dive buddy, that are vegetarians. She doesn't let it bother her what others think. The times that we have gone out to eat she always seems to find something to eat. It might mean she special orders something but she has never had a problem getting it. Those of us in the group really don't care. I knew her before I knew she was a vegetarian and it didn't make any difference when I found out that she was.