PDA

View Full Version : What have you done to help your diving?

DivingCRNA
09-08-2007, 10:25
I mean changes to YOU.

I run and lift weight to keep in general good shape and I need to lose a little weight (like 20 pounds).

Also (this is why this is not in the fitness forum), I had LASIK surgery in part to make diving easier. It makes all activities easier. I also cut my getting to be pretty dang long hair yesterday. It was making mask and hood management/wearing a pain in the butt. I was also getting tons of split ends, giving me that frizzy 80's hair band look.

What have y'all done? Tatoo'd deco tables on yerself? Hair styles, cut of mustaches? Etc...

finflippers
09-08-2007, 10:31
I keep a small line between my mustache and nose shaved for my mask to seal.

Kidder
09-08-2007, 10:48
I moved my wieghts around on my BC so that I can trim more easily. This has helped a number of ways. Air consumption, buoyancy, etc...

WV Diver
09-08-2007, 10:51
I run, swim and lots of other cardio stuff. I have to take the DM fitness test every year to be able to dive. So while I'm not an everyday, everyday I do my share of working out and general things to stay in shape.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
09-08-2007, 12:34
I quit smoking. I am starting an exercise regimin this weekend.

Kidder
09-08-2007, 12:48
Yup imagine smoking would hard on a diver :smiley11:. congratulations on quiting :smiley20:
I need to exercise more myself.

DivingCRNA
09-08-2007, 14:44
I run, swim and lots of other cardio stuff. I have to take the DM fitness test every year to be able to dive. So while I'm not an everyday, everyday I do my share of working out and general things to stay in shape.

Why do you have to take the DM fitness test every year??? There is no shortage of fat, out of shape divers...

Charles R
09-08-2007, 14:47
I have lost 30lbs and drooped my body fat from 20% to 11% and that equated to dropping 6lbs of lead off my belt!

Xspect
09-08-2007, 22:00
i walk at least 2 miles daily

Coaster
09-08-2007, 22:14
I walk and skate.....legs and lungs.

WV Diver
09-09-2007, 06:54

Why do you have to take the DM fitness test every year??? There is no shortage of fat, out of shape divers...It is just one of the requirments we all have to perform to remain an active and primary member of the dive team.

Zenagirl
09-09-2007, 17:23
I do cardio 4-5x a week for 45 min each time and plan to add weight lifting to my routine.

However, I think the best thing I did for my diving was when we had about 35 dives, we took a week long liveaboard trip where we dove 4x a day. That concentrated amount of diving really helped dial in my buoyancy, got my weighting perfect, and built a huge amount of confidence in me.

Defman
09-09-2007, 18:13
I keep a small line between my mustache and nose shaved for my mask to seal.

Ditto... and the upper cheeks (facial ones). Otherwise I don't shave on vacation. Dropping weeight also helped. I always thought it took 20+ pounds to get me to sink, but dropping to 15 and just relaxing and exhaling fully while decending helped..

WV Diver
09-09-2007, 18:38
It was hard but I ..................tore.....................my....s elf...........a.....way from...................the ..................computer.

scootermcfly
09-09-2007, 19:58
For keeping in shape, I used to be on the bike 3 times a week at the gym with some weight training. Now, I changed to doing a lot of swimming at the gym. After doing some dives with my kids, I realized that I would like to be a much better swimmer than I am now in case of any problems.

For myself and diving, I have really been trying to work on bouyancy by adjusting weights and even learning to grab a rock in the shallow area until I get to a decent depth and my wet suit has compressed.

Scooter McFly

cshel
09-09-2007, 21:18
I spent a lot of time working on my buoyancy this weekend. My last dive was 4 lbs lighter and I had the best control I've ever had!

rktman26
09-09-2007, 21:22
I ran 31 miles this week, but that's got nothing to do with diving.

I started diving with 22 lbs, I'm down to 13 poinds of lead.

Aussie
09-12-2007, 16:51
Bought top of the range gear and try to go diving everyday. Quick way of improving your diving.

Aussie

Disneymom
09-12-2007, 17:52
I dive when I can and practice! Even if it's just in our pool.

deepdiver47
09-12-2007, 18:59
To be honest, participate in this forum. I have learned a great deal by what other people have/have not done. It has really helped me out.

dm, I think that you are going to win the contest with this one!