PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for crashing ScubaBoard

k46tank
07-13-2007, 04:29
I just wanted to thank Joe and Larry for crashing ScubaBoard.com. Had they not caused it to melt down, I wouldn't have had dive-related message board withdrawals and found this board.smileys/smiley2.gif

But seriously, I would like to thank you guys for the GREAT service over the years! I'm getting ready to place another order, but don't tell my wife or she might smileys/smiley11.gif me.

I also received the magazine subscription a few days ago. That was a very pleasant surprise. Thank you!

jacewindu
07-13-2007, 16:10
i knew there was a conspiracy...

k46tank
07-14-2007, 00:02
I heard that the ScubaBoard server was the victim of a paintball drive-by.

Rabb
07-14-2007, 11:41
I just don't understand why SB has such a hard time keeping their board up. It's just a frick'n message board. Very few pictures. They have to be making a ton of money with what they charge ST and others to advertise plus what individual people give them. I mean come on how much bandwidth do they use?

MEL-DC Diver
07-14-2007, 13:39
I heard that the ScubaBoard server was the victim of a paintball drive-by.

LOL! That's a pretty good tie-in.

frankc420
07-14-2007, 14:20
Go look at how much SB gets paid for advertisements and you will really wonder why they didn't already have clustered servers!smileys/smiley17.gif

Rabb
07-15-2007, 06:17
Go look at how much SB gets paid for advertisements and you will really wonder why they didn't already have clustered servers!smileys/smiley17.gif

ok, I will bite. Give me a link so that I can look at that info. But again, it's just a message forum. It is not that hard.

LOL, they down again. How many days is this now? 4? 5?

tx.lakerat
07-15-2007, 11:22
Down enough days now that people are looking for other places to post! http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif

plot
07-15-2007, 11:41
I just don't understand why SB has such a hard time keeping their board up. It's just a frick'n message board. Very few pictures. They have to be making a ton of money with what they charge ST and others to advertise plus what individual people give them. I mean come on how much bandwidth do they use?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>the SQL database on the backend that stores all the posts and what not can crunch a server pretty easily when it's getting a heafty amount of traffic with all the queries going on. The solution is usually a more powerfull server... it's a common problem that plagues all large messageboards at one time or another.</DIV>

Queen
07-15-2007, 12:14
Down enough days now that people are looking for other places to post! http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif
I'll still pop in to post here, this seems like a great (less diluted) place to discuss gear...but I really prefer the vBulletin forum so I'll head back over there as soon as it's up and running.

Cichlid
07-15-2007, 12:29
ScubaToys is all I know. I was looking for a scuba forum, but that
other one was down, I didn't know that was a regular problem though.

plot
07-15-2007, 14:04
<DIV>

I'll still pop in to post here, this seems like a great (less diluted) place to discuss gear...but I really prefer the vBulletin forum so I'll head back over there as soon as it's up and running.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I definatly miss the vbulletin....</DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
ScubaToys is all I know. I was looking for a scuba forum, but that other one was down, I didn't know that was a regular problem though. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I've never noticed it really being a major issue, it's been down awhile this time though.</DIV>

94GTStang
07-15-2007, 15:45
Ah... so there was a reason behind the SB crashing. We all thought it was server related... now the truth finally surfaces...

frankc420
07-15-2007, 18:35

ok, I will bite. Give me a link so that I can look at that info. But again, it's just a message forum. It is not that hard.

http://www.intermediapublications.com/

http://www.intermediapublications.com/18.html

Rabb
07-15-2007, 18:59

http://www.intermediapublications.com/

http://www.intermediapublications.com/18.html

So your point exactly is that SB cant get by on ~$30,000.00 a month?

plot
07-15-2007, 19:33
So your point exactly is that SB cant get by on ~$30,000.00 a month?

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I gotta beleive if they were making any serious profit, they'd have that thing up ASAP before they lose their user/income base.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>p.s. it's back up http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>edit: uh... almost up anyways...</DIV>

Harshal
07-20-2007, 15:32
Scuba Toys folks, where were you with your paintball guns when ScubaBoard crashed.......... anybody got a solid alibi?????
<DIV>http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif</DIV>

picxie
07-20-2007, 20:59
Is anyone else finding it very, very slow? Or is it just me? (SB that is.)

cgvmer
07-20-2007, 22:08
Well the SB outage got me here and I'm happy, but SB has a lot of info stored in the archive it is an invaluable resource.

As for the profit margin, that's a seperate issue.

ScubaToys Larry
07-20-2007, 22:16
Update for folks here... 1) I didn't crash scuba board. If I was that good of a hack, I'd be going to transfer funds into my citibank account... smileys/smiley2.gif

2) Got notice from Dell that our new blown servers will be in here on Monday, then the hosting company should get it in, and we'll get VB loaded up. Give me a few days to tweak, modify and test, then we'll migrate over - and I've been assured, it will keep all the posts and info.

Wish me luck!

94GTStang
07-20-2007, 22:34
Bueno suerte Larry. Cyclical runs our large local Mustang club through VB if you need any help or suggestions. ;)

ScubaToys Larry
07-20-2007, 22:44
Awsome... Thanks!

Firebrand
07-31-2007, 08:18
Well the SB outage got me here and I'm happy, but SB has a lot of info stored in the archive it is an invaluable resource.

As for the profit margin, that's a seperate issue.

I don't know how much of that info is really worth anything. Although,, tha 46.000,000 post thread MOF, no MOF Was so thrilling, I lost sleep staying up at night afraid I would miss some of the insightful posts. :smiley11:

TxScubaBear
03-02-2008, 10:47
I too went there last few days (SB) and it's painfully slow in loading every page, not sure if it's all the dad gummed advertising or if it's virus/spyware riddled, never used to be that slow.
On the other hand, I'm addicted to this place so no great loss! Always find what I need here, most questions answered and if not- I ask it.
THANKS ST!

cmburch
03-02-2008, 11:23
I am new to SCUBATOYS forum. Before ST, I did not know what a forum was. I find the ST forum fast and easy to maneuver.

I found out about SCUBABOARD from the comments on the SCUBATOYS forum. I am currently trying SB out and it has bad/irritating performance and is not as easy to use as ST. SB has tons of advertising that is in the way and forces me to use my mouse and direction keys a lot to adjust the screen view in order to read anything.

I have found out though there are some very experienced instructors and divers with a wealth of information that may not be available on ST. I haven't had any problems with SB members yet; they seem very helpful.

Chocoholic
03-02-2008, 12:57
I still check out SB for technical stuff, but I would rather hang out on this board. I.E. I have been looking at info on the Aliikai BCD so I have searched both boards for that info.

hoobascooba
03-02-2008, 14:15
i can care less about SB. I don't really know why I joined it.

it's not like i'm a forum junkie or anything ;)

mike_s
03-03-2008, 08:20
I too went there last few days (SB) and it's painfully slow in loading every page, not sure if it's all the dad gummed advertising or if it's virus/spyware riddled, never used to be that slow.
On the other hand, I'm addicted to this place so no great loss! Always find what I need here, most questions answered and if not- I ask it.
THANKS ST!

There is a thread on Site Support on SB where they are working on the problem....

RoyN
03-03-2008, 10:20
Nah, I don't care alot for scubaboard too much. The only thread I mess around is Denise's thread and thats the only one that is fun. I don't even go into my NorCA forum in there because some people are complete air head save a few that I know are nice, other then that, I like to be in here!

Athena2c
03-03-2008, 10:40
I got to SB to get information, mostly on places I'd like to travel-they do have A LOT of it there.
But I pretty much never post...I just don't find the community as welcoming or comfortable as here :smiley31:

rfb3
03-03-2008, 10:56

I went there Saturday and had a birthday before the main page loaded! I thought it was my wireless modem (just got it back from repair)...

EuphoriaII
03-03-2008, 12:55
I hadn't been on any boards for awhile but this is now my favorite diving site

jbres1
03-03-2008, 22:30
Looks like Scuba board crashed again tonight.
Jim Breslin

rye_a
03-03-2008, 22:32
Funny, I didn't notice the issues since I haven't been there in awhile...