PDA

View Full Version : Sea of Cortez?

Rio28621
09-08-2007, 13:46
Looking for dive opportunties closer to home, any recommendations or comments relating to diving the Sea of Cortez (including Rocky Point)?

BuzzGA
09-08-2007, 14:06
We've been down to San Carlos its about a 7 hour drive from Tucson. We used Ocean Divers (which is Desert Divers in Tucson).

Charles R
09-08-2007, 14:12
All of the dive shops around Phoenix have monthly rips down to San carlos for ~$500.00 you hop on a bus sleep watch movies and BS and then you are there for 2 days of diving then you get back on the Bus and sleep on the way Home. I have done it with El Mar and N-Depth Scuba both great trips had a blast.

Crewseer
03-20-2008, 18:05
Looking for advice on reputable dive shop in Cobos San Lucas???

rawalker
03-21-2008, 00:48
I just did a trip to San Carlos this past weekend. Saturday we went out on the Ocean Spirit to San Pedro island. I've also been there in late August and although it's still nice dive it is much better when the water warms up.
In May I'll be in Cabo San Lucas I'll post about it when get back but I'm told there is some great diving in that area also.

mudshark
04-01-2008, 00:47
There's nothing worth diving for in Rocky Point unless you're just jonesin' to dive for the sake of it. No reef and hellacious tides.

San Carlos as others have said here, about 8 hrs from Phoenix. Fall and spring are best. In desert summer it gets real hot down there and not much life under the water and in winter the water can get pretty cold which also chases the life away.
We've used Gary's dive shop mostly (the best fish tacos at lunch break!) but I've good things about the other shops too.
I'm starting to dive Cal more because it's a shorter drive to San Diego and Long Beach to make the ferry out to Catalina. The roads are better than Mexico's and depending on the day of the week and the time of day, crossing the border to get back to the States at Nogales can be a nightmare. Once it took us 6 hours and I've heard horror stories of longer waits than that. San Carlos isn't the party town that Rocky Point is, not yet anyway, depending on what your preference is. But a good time can definitely be had. You can use us dollars everywhere and for breakfast Rosa's is the place.
Enjoy!