PDA

View Full Version : Oil Spill?

BuzzGA
06-26-2010, 15:17
While the video and theory are interesting, I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of whale sharks off Pensacola before

Aquatic Aberrations Tied to Gulf? | News Videos | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/video/aquatic-aberrations-tied-to-gulf/1530351913)

mzbdiver
06-26-2010, 23:31
Yeah that's crap.

Bay of Fundy in Canada gets Whale Sharks quite a few times a year.

bigman241
06-27-2010, 01:21
well there might be some good news. There was a similer spill in the gulf back in like 72. It dumped oil on the entire mexico coast and 120 some miles of texas. They had a special about it as I guess when it landed it killed everything and anything in the water. Now there is little to know effect still around. The fishing and shrimping industry has returned to almost pre spill levels. Though they said if the tide level goes out so far you can still see crude balls on the tree roots and such. Plus the few oysters and clams they find around the shore taste like oil. The marine biologist said mother nature as a way of recovering and fixing the things we do to her. He said as of now there is not a lot that she will not come back from but things will get alot worst before they get better. I am all for free capitalism and such though I think BP needs to pay. Though seeing how the corrupt officials that over looked safety issues and problems with the oil companies. I think since they worked for the government they need to pay part of this.
I find it funny they stop drilling and say do not worry bp will pay for the job you lost that moved to another country. Then bp say no as they did not cause it. Seems our left leaning government is out to control the oil industry now.

Bigg_Budd
06-27-2010, 07:12
well there might be some good news. There was a similer spill in the gulf back in like 72. It dumped oil on the entire mexico coast and 120 some miles of texas. They had a special about it as I guess when it landed it killed everything and anything in the water. Now there is little to know effect still around. The fishing and shrimping industry has returned to almost pre spill levels. Though they said if the tide level goes out so far you can still see crude balls on the tree roots and such. Plus the few oysters and clams they find around the shore taste like oil. The marine biologist said mother nature as a way of recovering and fixing the things we do to her. He said as of now there is not a lot that she will not come back from but things will get alot worst before they get better. I am all for free capitalism and such though I think BP needs to pay. Though seeing how the corrupt officials that over looked safety issues and problems with the oil companies. I think since they worked for the government they need to pay part of this.
I find it funny they stop drilling and say do not worry bp will pay for the job you lost that moved to another country. Then bp say no as they did not cause it. Seems our left leaning government is out to control the oil industry now.

i wouldn't call it good news. 2010-1971 = 39 years. that's a long time for things to return to normal.

i actually think you are referring to the Ixtoc spill in 1979. i'm from texas, we tend to remember these things. it's a friggin tragedy is what it is.

pissed.

Straegen
06-27-2010, 18:05
That spill which was much larger only had a 3 year ban on fishing actually. Things came back MUCH faster than scientists expected. That said the area was different, the tides and current different and it wasn't a tourist built area. It is a big deal for some areas but in earth terms (counting by time) it is pretty much a non-event.