PDA

View Full Version : Tank boots on doubles

Davetowz
06-27-2010, 16:23
I keep seeing ads for doubles setups that include tank boots. Redundant isn't it? Won't the fact that 2 are held together with bands keep them from rolling? or is there another reason for using boots on tanks?

tonka97
06-27-2010, 17:32
I keep seeing ads for doubles setups that include tank boots. Redundant isn't it? Won't the fact that 2 are held together with bands keep them from rolling? or is there another reason for using boots on tanks?

The bottoms of some tanks are rounded; I think they are easier to manage with the boots....especially given their weight!

in_cavediver
06-27-2010, 18:28
I see tank boots as a lot of negatives for very few positives.

Negatives:

1) Traps water and salt crystals
2) Entanglement hazard (VERY big negative for me)
3) I find doubles harder to move with tank boots - they don't slide as nicely. Something to consider when the tanks can be over 100lbs.

Positives:

1) May be required on some boats to protect the fiberglass.

None of my sets have them. (the boots are collecting dust in the garage). I may have 2-4 sets of doubles assembles at any given time (104's, 85'sx2, 80's). Even with the set of 80's I sometimes have - I have never noticed any advantage to their flat bottoms.

navyhmc
06-27-2010, 20:07
One positive in_cave didn't mention is that they will stand upright on their own..but all in all, the negatives outweigh the positives.

Jack Hammer
06-27-2010, 20:32
One positive in_cave didn't mention is that they will stand upright on their own..but all in all, the negatives outweigh the positives.
One of my buddies modified his boots to pop on and off easily. He gets the best of both worlds, no boots while diving and they will stand up on their own when not.

Scuba Pete
06-28-2010, 07:52
I dont know about you but I dont want my double to stand up on their own. They weigh far too much, if they were to tip that is alot of momentum than can cause some serious damage. If i want to stand them up they are perfectly fine leaning against something. I see no point in tank boots other than to protect a boats fiber glass. I dont even own any that fit my doubles.

mzbdiver
06-28-2010, 09:20
An example of Pete's "momentum" idea is that your manifold with easily break if they fall. (A strong enough breeze did this at a site I was at)

Jack Hammer
06-28-2010, 12:03
Mine slide and fall without boots when the rig is fully put together (BP/W, etc) when leaned up against the wall on my hardwood floors. I've seen steel doubles without boots slide on boats several times when they aren't tied down very tightly (enough to worry me about pinching the wing). I've seen several times when people are donning/doffing them on a rocking boat where they are slipping around make it difficult. I've heard it said several times, mostly online, that they are an entanglement hazard, but I've never heard or understood how.

I think boots are bad on any aluminum tank as it traps water and leads to corrosion and really is unnecessary. On painted steel tanks they also trap water but the bottoms tend to easily get messed up without them. For galvanized tanks they really aren't needed other than to stand them up. Nobody should ever leave doubles standing up outside unsecured, boots or not, it's an invitation for Mother Nature to knock them over and break something.

I'm not making an argument for or against people using boots, just pointing out that there are times when having them is nice and times where having them is not nice.