PDA

View Full Version : 13cf pony

bigman241
06-27-2010, 20:51
I am looking at a used 13cf tank someone had setup for nitrox and figured it would make a good pony and be small enough to sling or mount without much trouble with trim and such.
How deep would you say a 13cf al 3000psi tank is good for? Also how long can a person breath on one? Kind of a rough number I know it changes diver to diver

mzbdiver
06-27-2010, 20:53
I am looking at a used 13cf tank someone had setup for nitrox and figured it would make a good pony and be small enough to sling or mount without much trouble with trim and such.
How deep would you say a 13cf al 3000psi tank is good for? Also how long can a person breath on one? Kind of a rough number I know it changes diver to diver
Well my 19 cu ft. can do a bailout at 100 ft and ascend and complete a safety stop and surface with 500 pounds. So I'd imagine a 13 could do at least 50 or 60 feet

bigman241
06-27-2010, 21:49
Thats what I was hoping for. I figured most of my diving would be less then 60 and with being an air hog I would normally not require the safety stop so worst case I stop for as long as I can and go up.

How much would you pay for a 13cf in good shape with 20 bucks for shipping and a hydro needed not old enough to be a alloy issue but not new I think it was a 94 or 96. When I placed a bid on it he had it listed as a 20 but I guess someone corrected him to the fact it is a 13cf.

Well my 19 cu ft. can do a bailout at 100 ft and ascend and complete a safety stop and surface with 500 pounds. So I'd imagine a 13 could do at least 50 or 60 feet

Splitlip
06-27-2010, 22:17
"how long does an oxygen tank last?"

All about variables. What's your SAC? How deep do you expect to dive? What kind of safety stops do you plan? Will you be in overheads (real or deco)

I have a 13. I have never used it, but I've done the math and know that I use less than 13CF to ascend from pretty much all of my (rec) dives. (<100ft) That includes safety stops, but non working.

Further, I am prepared to blow off the stops in an emergency. Are you?

Having seen your posts, if you really want to consider a pony, a 13 or 19 won't work for you.

Get a dependable Buddy and focus on training. I use a pony when I "solo". That may be in the cards for you someday, but not today.

navyhmc
06-28-2010, 00:57
A 13 does not a good bail out make. I would put a 60' hard deck for it as a possible bailout. For me, a 19 is used for dives less than 90' and a 40 for anything else. It does make a great Argon bottle is you get into dry suits.

bigman241
06-28-2010, 05:55
Plan to get a dry suit one day. Though when I can get one without it not fitting from weight lost.
A 13 does not a good bail out make. I would put a 60' hard deck for it as a possible bailout. For me, a 19 is used for dives less than 90' and a 40 for anything else. It does make a great Argon bottle is you get into dry suits.

bigman241
06-28-2010, 05:57
well might be back to waiting . GOt out bidded and with 45 to hydro it not sure it is worth much more then 20 bucks since it will take 20 to ship it and thats 85.00 and I think their 125 or so new.

awap
06-28-2010, 07:55
A 13 CF pony has about the same amount of gas as 500 psi in an Al80. So you might want to see what you can do with that. I have ascended from over 80 ft on a 13cf tank including rest stop of 5 minutes and reboarding the boat with gas to spare.

BTW, a 19 is about the same as 750 psi in an Al80 if you want to play with that one also.

mzbdiver
06-28-2010, 09:16
Honestly a 13 cu ft out of hydro wouldn't be worth it. Save your money and go with something that is more recent or bigger

Jack Hammer
06-28-2010, 11:22
Personally I don't care for the 13cf tank as a pony. I prefer to sling a pony on my side as apposed to hard mounting it to myself and the 13cf is a bit too small for that. I've slung one a few times because it's all that was available and was far better than nothing. but like I said, I don't care for the way it rides when slung and the way the hose routes on it.

I think a 19cf is a good sized tank for most recreational diving, it's easy to sling and offers a enough breathing gas to safely surface. It's important when calculating how much gas you'll need if you're forced to go on your pony to take into account that you'll likely be breathing much harder than normal and therefore using more gas than on a typical dive. This is amplified when factoring in a big diver (bigger lungs = more gas needed to fill them).

cyclone3565
06-28-2010, 11:33
I have to continue to bite my tongue, but it is now to the point where I can tell the author just by the title. Bigman, I love you commitment to the sport, but dive some, don't buy everything known to mankind. Get some experience. How many dives have you logged - 10. Get used to it all, then buy the world.

jbres1
06-28-2010, 21:05
How is your sac rate ?
Lets just say your sac rate is .50 cu ft/min for arguments sake.
If you were down at 100 ft. and had a problem
Say it took 1 min to get set up with the pony. (thats 2 cu ft )
Started up at about 30 ft per min to 20 ft. (80 ft is 2 min 40 sec , thats about 5 cu ft )
Safety stop at 20 ft for 3 min. ( 2 to 3 cu ft )
So thats about 10 cu ft of gas.
These numbers don't take into account your sac rate going thru the roof due to stress or working to get up to the surface or needing gas for the BC or any other factors.

I use a 13 cu ft pony on vacation , and a 19 cu ft pony at home.
The 13 is just a little easier to pack and bring on an airline.

A 13 will get me up from depth, but I may have to cut short the 3 min stop if I take too much time getting up to 20ft.

I would go with a 19 cu ft pony if you don't plan on flying with it.

Jim Breslin

llrnce
10-08-2010, 13:30
I a new diver and i was looking for a pony set-up. So yall recommend going with atleast a 19 pony. Any info and also any kits recommend would be nice thanks!

Rileybri
10-08-2010, 13:38
Just an FYI 13's suck to sling as they are so short. I just sold mine for a 19 for just that reason. no mind you it can be done and I did it for two seasons the 19 just sits back far enough to work well.

navyhmc
10-08-2010, 18:56
Amen Riley. A 19 or 40 work well-sit right where you need them. I almost forget they are there.

FFDiver
10-08-2010, 19:26
I would not come under a 19 and I personally use a 30 and feel comfortable with it to get me out of danger. As has been mentioned before get experience and training before any solo diving as you have to have a different mindset to go solo. Training and experience help but you have to be prepared to handle any emergency by yourself!!! You have no one to fall back on in an emergency while solo diving. If just a backup and when you dive with a buddy then that is another tool to have.

comet24
10-08-2010, 19:40
Before buying a pony you need to identify why your buying it. What is your planed use for it? What kind of dives will you be doing with it? How will you be carrying it. Remember tanks are great but you can't travel with them. Your adding more gear that you have take care of and deal with. While this isn't a problem for divers with some experience it can add task loading to new divers. Then the question is are you making yourself a safer diver or not with the pony. If your not ready for the additional task loading your not helping yourself. IMHO I think any diver needs to be comfortable with your standard gear before adding extras. Depending on the dive I may dive with all kinds of extra gear and can tell you that even with experience this increases you task loading. Add new gear piece by piece and get comfortable with it.

Now with that out of the way don't bother with a 13cuft. A 19 in just a little longer and more practical. I used one for many dives. For small ponies I just mount them to my BG. You can just setup a proper sling on a 19. The bottom hose-clamp will be right at the base of the tank. A 13 is to short to properly sling. Again though with those size bottles I just hard mount it to my main tank.

30 vs 40 Again I just go with the 40. I don't see any benefits of the 30. The extra length is slung out of the way. Now that's assuming you sling it. You can also hard mount it to your BG. I never done this with a 40 always just slung them but then I use these bottles for deco gas and not a bailout bottle.

navyhmc
10-08-2010, 23:48
If I were to back mount a 40, I'd probably invert it and run the reg up form under my bc-easier to turn on and off. But more susceptable to damage when entering and exiting so make sure you have higher than the bottom of your main tank.

I personally sling it, even though it is a bailout bottle-used more often when I solo though.