PDA

View Full Version : Water in SPG

Advokat
09-08-2007, 21:23
Today after a dive I noticed a couple of water drops in my SPG. How can I get rid of them and what could of caused it?thanks

rtrski
09-08-2007, 21:35
Advo: I don't think you can get rid of them - it's probably toast. Hopefully it's pretty new and can be returned to the mfgrer for replacement. I don't believe those are designed to get any water in them at all, so they aren't necessarily made out of salt-water corrosion-resistant metals internally.

Same thing happened to me with an Oceanic pressure gauge. One dive it was just a bead of water clinging to the hub pin for the needle. Next dive it was a bigger glob with another broken loose and moving inside. Next dive more yet. (All in the same day). It was on a quick disconnect with my computer so I borrowed a backup console from someone and just took it down disconnected (hung off a BC D-ring) at that point, since I still needed a computer - didn't matter if I got more water in the SPG at that point. They still did a warantee replacement for me after I got back from the trip. By the time I took it to the dive shop (it was just a couple days later) it was clearly very rusty inside, already.

My opinion: it's not safe to dive with if you see any water inside (in retrospect I was taking a stupid chance repeat-diving on it, twice, even if it was the 'same day'). The last thing you need is a needle sticking at 1300psi or something "safe" sounding that fools you into getting into an out of air situation.

wkowalski
09-08-2007, 21:51
What brand/model is the SPG?

Advokat
09-08-2007, 22:06
What brand/model is the SPG?
Mares 2D console

cummings66
09-09-2007, 07:55
Just guessing here, but I'd say two ways. One would be past an o ring and the second would be from the tank. IE you rinsed the regulator unpressurised and had water get past the second. Some regulators need to be pressurised while rinsing and others don't care.

What reg do you have and how do you rinse it?

Capt Hook
09-09-2007, 08:53
Probably a bad o-ring, time for a new SPG.

ianr33
09-09-2007, 09:03
The gauge face is not pressurised.(That thin plastic would not withstand 3000 psi! ) If you have water there it has been forced in by water pressure at depth through some small crack or defect in the outer case.

It needs replacing. Consider getting a brass and glass version rather than a plastic one. more expensive initially but should last a lot longer.

Black-Gorrilla
09-09-2007, 13:14
well, before you spend cash, contact Mares... see if they take care of you.

ChrisA
09-14-2007, 02:04
Just guessing here, but I'd say two ways. One would be past an o ring and the second would be from the tank.

No. Even if you unscrew the SPG from the hose and place it with the high pressure connection open into a jar of water, water still does not get inside the glass. The high pressure air is confined to a coiled bourdon (sp?) tube and does not mix with the air inside the case under the glass. The air inside the case remains at 1 ATM.

There is a rare failure mode where a leak lets HP air int the case. This would blow up the glass window if not for a pressure burst release on the backside of most SPG cases.

I'll bet its a leak between the glass and the case. A few, brands of SPGs can be opened by unscrewing a retaining ring that goes over and around the glass. then you could dry it out and replace the o-rings. See if it still works.

Best t simply replace it and keep the oldone with water inside for checking tanks on land and other utility, non-underwater uses.

webwidejosh
10-09-2007, 23:08
Just guessing here, but I'd say two ways. One would be past an o ring and the second would be from the tank.

No. Even if you unscrew the SPG from the hose and place it with the high pressure connection open into a jar of water, water still does not get inside the glass. The high pressure air is confined to a coiled bourdon (sp?) tube and does not mix with the air inside the case under the glass. The air inside the case remains at 1 ATM.

I learned to hold the face of the gauge against the tank when pressurizing the tube. What's that for if the gauge stays at 1 ATM?

ScaredSilly
10-09-2007, 23:21
Cause when you pressurize it the burton tube can blow. Which in turn at say 3000 psi will spread little parts which will the blow the plastic case which can then be sent flying.

To the OP the case is probably toast. Time for a new one whether it be from warranty or buying a new one.

Advokat
10-10-2007, 16:40
I bought the new one and the older one was sent to the factory...don't know how long will it take in the factory