PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Red Shrimp

crosseyed95
06-30-2010, 20:09
Well, the Bloody Red Shrimp (invasive species 183) have arrived in the Bay of Green Bay. :smiley19: Upon last inspection, we have them on the Brown, Jenni Bell and May Queen. On a couple dives you wouldn't even notice them until you shine your light up in some cubby holes. Then you'll see swarms of hundreds.

Crazy how it works. Last year, none. This year crap loads.

crosseyed95

DevilDiver
06-30-2010, 21:55
If this has not been reported yet here is some info.
http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/brochures/hemimysis.pdf

crosseyed95
07-01-2010, 06:13
If this has not been reported yet here is some info.
http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/brochures/hemimysis.pdf

We actually discovered these in early spring but I never mentioned it in my dive report since it wasn't official. I "knew" they were bloody red shrimp but until it's official you don't want to spread any rumors.

Anyways, I attempted to go thru the NOAA crap but they never contacted me. So, we got a hold of the DNR who made calls and then asked us to get samples.

On one of our dives we snagged some and turned them over. Those samples were then sent up the chain and it's been officially confirmed.

When the Asian Carp make it into the lakes, someone else can get that sample. Those things are ugly as sin.

crosseyed95

Lake Michijim
07-01-2010, 06:26
I think this maybe mother natures correction for the zebra mussel. Looks like Perch and panfish food to me. Wouldn't it be great to see swarms of Perch on the wrecks again just like the old days? One of our divers saw some of these at Fish Creek during the Pearl Harbor day dive last year.
Now, if we can just get these things to grow to an edible size, we might have something.

Scuba Pete
07-01-2010, 07:38
LakeMichijim, That is what i was thinking. I would imagine that the shrimp and mussels eat the same thing. The shrimp look small enough that fish would be able to eat them. I know that in my aquarium at home that my fish ate my shrimp in like an hour after i put it in the tank. Maybe this might be a good invasive species, who knows. The link that devil diver posted seems to me that they dont know how this species will impact the lake.

navyhmc
07-01-2010, 12:38
When the Asian Carp make it into the lakes, someone else can get that sample. Those things are ugly as sin.

crosseyed95

From what I read about the Asian Carp, you don't have to worry about them-wear a full face helmet and just boat the lakes, they catch themselves-jump right into the boat.

Lake Michijim
07-01-2010, 17:00
LakeMichijim, That is what i was thinking. I would imagine that the shrimp and mussels eat the same thing. The shrimp look small enough that fish would be able to eat them. I know that in my aquarium at home that my fish ate my shrimp in like an hour after i put it in the tank. Maybe this might be a good invasive species, who knows. The link that devil diver posted seems to me that they dont know how this species will impact the lake.

Back in the day we used to fish perch with crayfish tails. Seems like these schrimp would be a natural food source. It took awhile for the small mouth bass up in Door county to get a taste for Gobies, but they did. The result is a lot of large small mouth bass and the gobies now hide from them under rocks.
Mother nature and Darwins law cover things pretty well. They've been fixing Man's mistakes for years. This one looks like an easy one. :smiley2: