PDA

View Full Version : Weight belt with Weight integrated on OW course.

TAH 73
07-13-2007, 08:14
Both my GF and I are doing our OW course, me as a refresher asI did my OW about 12 years for, and what better way to be confident with your buddy than to train with them.
<DIV>Doing pool dives this evening and picked up her rental gear, at the same time I brought my gear in to have the annual service. When he noticed I had a weight integrated BC, and mentioned that I would need to use a weight belt for the dives as there are skills I would need to do with the belt.</DIV>
<DIV>The fact is i am never going to dive with a belt, as myGF will never either, as she has already picked out the BC she believes she would like and hates the idea of a belt as well.</DIV>
<DIV>Question I have is is there a mandate in Padi/IANTD that requires the weight belt?</DIV>
<DIV>And wouldn't it be beneficial in training if the diver is WI to be dealing with WI when doing drills such as removing the BC.</DIV>
<DIV>Do it for the first time without the weight belt and you find yourself floating away from the BC unexpectedly.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

awmurray
07-13-2007, 09:27
<div>Question I have is is there a mandate in Padi/IANTD that requires the weight belt?</div>

I believe there is.

I just finished my OW through PADI this past weekend and had the same
question. I didn't even ask the instructor because in the pre-briefing
meeting 2 days before we went to the lake, we were given a sheet
detailing all the required skills we had to demonstrate and on which
dives.

It was clear from the sheet that these were the skills PADI required us to demonstrate before being certified.

One was removing and replacing the weight belt in the water.

Vercingetorix
07-13-2007, 09:52
A weight belt was required for our NAUI OW, even though I was using a Zeagle Brigade with integrated weight system. One of the skills involved ditching weight belt. I carried no weights in the BCD.

frankc420
07-13-2007, 10:04
Rent a weight belt from the dive shop, if you have WI there is no reason to purchase one. You do need a weight belt during OW class because they will require you to remove it UW, then put it back on.

It's a good skill to know, especially if you go on vacation and use rental gear that's not WI.

TAH 73
07-13-2007, 11:23
I understand that it is a skill that is required, but reading the PADI OW manual it mentions in the preview of the confined water dive (pg 242) it mentions the instructor having you release your weights in shallow water to practice your removal in an emergency situation.
<DIV></DIV>They gave me a weight belt to use for the dives, but my issue is after the courseI won' be using one, and the skills they had you do such as removing/putting back on the BC is going to be totally different if you are wearing a weight belt vs weights in the BC.
<DIV>For example with my 7mil suit I have about 18lbs of weight, remove the weight integrted BC, andI am now quite buoyant, and putting it back on will be completely different vs if I had the weight on me, which when I removed the BC would be negative, or at least less positively buoyant than in the other scenario.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 13:02
The shop should provide you with a weight belt to use just during those skills lessons. I agree it's a good thing to learn, since many foreign destinations still use weight belts.

There are methods of dealing with removing and replacing gear underwater when you do and do not have weights integrated into your BC. They should be taught to you as part of your course.

TommyB
07-13-2007, 19:47
Mine's WI (Brigrade). I'm bringing the weight Belt to do the excises.
Then will be getting rid of it, and use the pocket weights for the rest of the sessions.

Guess I'll end up practicing the weight dump with the rip-cord thingie in the pool. So I can figure out the affects / etc when ranking that cord.

Joew
07-13-2007, 19:49
PADI does not require the use of a weight belt in the OW course. The only requirement is that you have ditchable weight with a quick release system.

ertechsg
07-14-2007, 23:04
SSI, only had to ditchand replace but we used integrated BC.

TommyB
07-15-2007, 06:52
PADI does not require the use of a weight belt in the OW course. The only requirement is that you have ditchable weight with a quick release system.

In a NAUI OW course.

DirtyWaterIL
07-15-2007, 10:41
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>That is not true, you must perform a weightbelt removal/replacement to complete your OW. </DIV>

msprzeor
07-15-2007, 12:10
The more skills/techniques you get to practice with an instructor ... the better. You should be thankful that your instructor wants you to do it with a weight belt and is taking the time with you because it is a skill you should be able to do. You should be able to remove/replace your BC in water, remove/replace your integrated weights in water and remove/replace a weight belt in water ... and feel comfortable with all of those.

As others have said ... someday you may need to wear a weight belt. When I did my OW we did not use them. My first time in the ocean on a dive trip I had to use a weight belt. Granted, they aren't very complicated, but it would have been nice to be familiar with them. In addition, if you ever dive colder water and use a dry suit ... you will need a weight belt because you won't be able to put enough weight in your BC. Plus, it's good to have weight in different places - one, for streamlining yourself and two, so you don't have to ditch all your weight in an emergency.

Take this as a good learning experience rather than a hassel.

Joew
07-15-2007, 22:06
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div>That is not true, you must perform a weightbelt removal/replacement to complete your OW. </div>

It is, according to the PADI Instructor Manual. A weight integrated BC is fine for OW training.

TAH 73
07-16-2007, 09:57
I t e end it is a redundant question, got to the pool had a "weight" belt set up with 4lbs of weight, had a few pounds in the trim pockets, and realized that my BC and the weight belts are incompatable.
<DIV>The BC comes down to low to allow the weight belt to be in the proper location.</DIV>
<DIV>In the end the instructor just got me torelease my weights in the shallow end of the pool to see that i as able to operate it properly, and went on from there.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

jacewindu
07-16-2007, 12:08
agreed - all i had to do was toss out the integrated weights and i was good to go

JahJahwarrior
07-20-2007, 18:26
I have two issues with WI:
-it's not what technical divers use. If you ever plan on diving with a BP/W, you should dive with a belt. However, some people do use suspenders and weights, kind of wierd.....

-my buddy has WI gear, and his BC with tank on weighs almost 80 pounds. My BC weighs maybe 50 with tank and regs, and my weights weigh 18. At the end of a dive, I pass up a 50 pound bc and an 18 pound weightbelt to the guy onthe boat. My buddy forces the guy to lift 80 pounds out at once. I'm nicer :) We went diving together off of a little boat I borrowed and by the end of the trip I wanted to kill him. Every dive, I had to get in first and lift my gear in, then lean over and lift up on his tank valve so he could lift himself in. I was so pissed off at how much extra work I had to do because he was diving WI.

TAH 73
07-20-2007, 23:21
I have two issues with WI:
-it's not what technical divers use. If you ever plan on diving with a BP/W, you should dive with a belt. However, some people do use suspenders and weights, kind of wierd.....

-my buddy has WI gear, and his BC with tank on weighs almost 80 pounds. My BC weighs maybe 50 with tank and regs, and my weights weigh 18. At the end of a dive, I pass up a 50 pound bc and an 18 pound weightbelt to the guy onthe boat. My buddy forces the guy to lift 80 pounds out at once. I'm nicer :) We went diving together off of a little boat I borrowed and by the end of the trip I wanted to kill him. Every dive, I had to get in first and lift my gear in, then lean over and lift up on his tank valve so he could lift himself in. I was so pissed off at how much extra work I had to do because he was diving WI.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Well I don't see myself going to "tech" anytime soon, and I really enjoy the fit of my WI BC.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>As for the weight of the unit, What I do is just remove the weight from the BC before I remove it. I actually put the weight in after I don the BC as well.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Joew
07-21-2007, 00:53
I have two issues with WI: -it's not what technical divers use. If you ever plan on diving with a BP/W, you should dive with a belt. However, some people do use suspenders and weights, kind of wierd.....-my buddy has WI gear, and his BC with tank on weighs almost 80 pounds. My BC weighs maybe 50 with tank and regs, and my weights weigh 18. At the end of a dive, I pass up a 50 pound bc and an 18 pound weightbelt to the guy onthe boat. My buddy forces the guy to lift 80 pounds out at once. I'm nicer :) We went diving together off of a little boat I borrowed and by the end of the trip I wanted to kill him. Every dive, I had to get in first and lift my gear in, then lean over and lift up on his tank valve so he could lift himself in. I was so pissed off at how much extra work I had to do because he was diving WI.

I have issues with your issues. smileys/smiley36.gif

1. Switching between WI and weightbelt is not that difficult. Most people who use WI BCs are trained with weightbelts, so they already have some experience with them. Also, not all tech divers use weightbelts. Many use ditchable weight pockets such as the Halcyon ACB, and alot of them have no ditchable weight at all.

2. It is just as easy to take out weight pockets and hand them up as it is to hand up a weight belt. You don't have to leave them in the BC.

techgnostic
07-21-2007, 03:54
Unless you refuse to dive with people who use belts, you may end of having to dump someone's weight inan emergency...extra experience never hurts.

TAH 73
07-21-2007, 09:00
Sorry the message of this post has been lost, it wasn't a debate vs the merits of WI vs weight belts, it was a question regarding whether PADI required the wearing of a weight belt during OW training. Reason for the question is: I wanted to train with my gear in the configuration that I would be diving in whileI was with the instructor, so that any deficiencies could be observed.
<DIV>I know how a weight belt works, I originally woreone during the OW course whenI took it 10 years ago, and for a while up until I bought my current BC thatI am diving with now.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I never had the opportunity to train with the WI BC before so being able to do the BC removal drills etcin the configuration that I was currently diving in was important. This was allowed in the course and I had the opportunity to dive in the WI format.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

CompuDude
07-21-2007, 17:16
And the answer seems to be they'll train you in whatever you have, but do require some work with a weight belt just for the experience, which is good in case of travel.

Lucky(AR)
07-22-2007, 23:23
no padi does not make you wear a weight belt ..took my ow last month used my own gear weight intergrated ....they were fine with that just had to pull my weights out for the instructor

Warren
07-23-2007, 15:57
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Correct. Did my PADI OW in October.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Just had to remove the ditchable weights for the BCD and reinsert them.</DIV>