PDA

View Full Version : feeding fish

Kidder
09-08-2007, 21:33
Hi there,
I was wondering what everyone brought with them to feed fish. I typically bring frozen pees. Blue gills and cat fish (feeding trhe HUGE cat fish at Mermet) love them. I've also feed blue gills clams from the bottom.

finflippers
09-08-2007, 21:34
I use the can spray cheese.

Kidder
09-08-2007, 21:44
I've heard of that. I hear it looks cool in the water.

FishFood
09-08-2007, 21:47
Corn Dogs :D The Dork fish love em...

finflippers
09-08-2007, 21:49
I've heard of that. I hear it looks cool in the water.

It does. Just make sure you hang onto the can or it will head right for the surface.

mark44883
09-08-2007, 21:55
slim jim's works good too blue gill love them

Kidder
09-08-2007, 21:56
Ah good advice ;-) positively buoyant

Capt Hook
09-08-2007, 22:42
Sorry, don't think it's right to feed fish "people" food.

kevinj1
09-09-2007, 00:03

then poke holes in a can of tuna. Fish go crazy.

Win, win situation.

Osprey
09-09-2007, 01:08
Nothing some koi food can't solve

scubasteven45
09-09-2007, 01:22
LOL Corndogs.

WV Diver
09-09-2007, 07:19
I use the can spray cheese.Yeah, this works great, and if you are a bit of a prankster, fill you buddy's BC pocket with it when he isn't looking. The first time he stops on a dive he will be swarmed by fish like bees from a hive. Its great fun especailly if he is an unsuspecting victim.

I have found hotdogs are great for catching the big catfish Kidder.

Aussie
09-09-2007, 07:34
So its ok to feed fish but not sharks?

Aussie

quarrydiver
09-09-2007, 07:38
Corndogs, squeeze cheese, slim jim... I think I'd probably eat em before the fish got a chance.

Capt Hook
09-09-2007, 08:46

then poke holes in a can of tuna. Fish go crazy.

Win, win situation.

Now that's a better idea!

Foo2
09-09-2007, 09:39
Dang! The perchahna are so vicious at CSSP that I wouldn't even dream of feeding them! Of course I've heard that is the reason they are so violent. If they don't see any food...they scope out your ears, lips, etc. Ouch!

diverdad
09-09-2007, 10:00
i have used canned corn.

Dang! The perchahna are so vicious at CSSP that I wouldn't even dream of feeding them! Of course I've heard that is the reason they are so violent. If they don't see any food...they scope out your ears, lips, etc. Ouch!

if you want to use a decoy for the perchahna at cssp? dive with kunk35 they just love him. i dove with him a few weeks ago they left everyone else alone and ganged up on him:smilie39:. it was the funniest thing to see to look at kory surrounded by a bunch of perch.

Kidder
09-09-2007, 10:16
So its ok to feed fish but not sharks?

Aussie

Blue gills and cat fish can't eat you if they get you confused with the bait. :smiley2:

Kidder
09-09-2007, 10:17

What is CSSP?

Kidder
09-09-2007, 10:19

Wow thats the first time I've heard of fresh water fish going after people.

finflippers
09-09-2007, 10:32
Wow thats the first time I've heard of fresh water fish going after people.

This is common in dive sites that the fish are used to being feed. They will be glad to remind you that you forgot to bring them food.

DevilDiver
09-09-2007, 10:52
I do not agree with feeding fish..............

Foo2
09-09-2007, 10:52

What is CSSP?

CSSP = Clear Springs Scuba Park (http://www.clearspringsscubapark.com)in Terrell, TX

Kidder
09-09-2007, 10:56
That looks like a nice place. If you are ever up this way you should try Mermet or Table rock.

NitroWill
09-09-2007, 10:57
CSSP is Clear Springs Scuba Park: http://www.clearspringsscubapark.com/

Most of the lakes I dive in here, the fish will gang up on you and swarm you with the first signs of food. They'll start nipping at you too!

Kidder
09-09-2007, 11:01
CSSP is Clear Springs Scuba Park: http://www.clearspringsscubapark.com/

Most of the lakes I dive in here, the fish will gang up on you and swarm you with the first signs of food. They'll start nipping at you too!

I've feed fish at Mermet and Table Rock lake and have yet to get nipped. Mermet was cool because they have huge catfish. They make for some cool under water digital pictures.

thesmoothdome
09-09-2007, 11:03
I use the can spray cheese.Yeah, this works great, and if you are a bit of a prankster, fill you buddy's BC pocket with it when he isn't looking. The first time he stops on a dive he will be swarmed by fish like bees from a hive. Its great fun especailly if he and an unsuspecting victim.

LOL....I like to slip a bunch of crackers in my buddy's BC pocket and then come up next to them and slap the pocket. Poof....cracker residue everywhere and the fish go completely insane.

WV Diver
09-09-2007, 11:12
I use the can spray cheese.Yeah, this works great, and if you are a bit of a prankster, fill you buddy's BC pocket with it when he isn't looking. The first time he stops on a dive he will be swarmed by fish like bees from a hive. Its great fun especailly if he and an unsuspecting victim.

LOL....I like to slip a bunch of crackers in my buddy's BC pocket and then come up next to them and slap the pocket. Poof....cracker residue everywhere and the fish go completely insane.One can never underestimate the power of a surprise attack. :smilie39::smilie39::smiley32:

TAH 73
09-09-2007, 11:14
i have used canned corn.

Don't feed fish corn, it has no nutritional value to them, they apparently don't have the enzyme's needed to break down the starches to get anything out of the food. It just fills them up and they don't eat anything good for them.

Kidder
09-09-2007, 11:22

LOL....I like to slip a bunch of crackers in my buddy's BC pocket and then come up next to them and slap the pocket. Poof....cracker residue everywhere and the fish go completely insane.

That sounds awesome. I'll have to do that to my buddy next time we dive at Mermet.

Charlotte Smith
09-09-2007, 12:04
I have used the can cheese and it works good in Lake Norfork for catfish...

Cheddarchick
09-09-2007, 13:16
Last time we were in Lake Wazee, Black river falls, if we moved the rocks under water, the bass came scooting right over to check out the crawdaddys..very cool....

YellowfinKunkfish
09-09-2007, 13:45
i have used canned corn.

if you want to use a decoy for the perchahna at cssp? dive with kunk35 they just love him. i dove with him a few weeks ago they left everyone else alone and ganged up on him:smilie39:. it was the funniest thing to see to look at kory surrounded by a bunch of perch.

It's true, I have to wave them away from him on every dive we do, even when we went to Murray!
You should have seen the one that bit his ear one day on the platform!!
It was huge!
We're going out there this weekend, and I'm thinking of sneaking the spray cheese into his BC pocket, and see what that does!
:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

WV Diver
09-09-2007, 14:12
[/quote]

It's true, I have to wave them away from him on every dive we do, even when we went to Murray!
You should have seen the one that bit his ear one day on the platform!!
It was huge!
We're going out there this weekend, and I'm thinking of sneaking the spray cheese into his BC pocket, and see what that does!
:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:[/quote]

HEE, HEE, You go girl.:smilie39: Let us know how it went.

Kidder
09-09-2007, 22:03
Some people must taste sweeter than others. I imagine that the cheese in the pocket trick will start a swarm feeding frenzy. ;-) Under water entertainment at its best.

the gooch
09-09-2007, 23:27
I'm lazy and did not read the rest of the thread past this quote because this is exactly what I like to feed the groupers----legal or not.:smilie40:

wxboy911
09-10-2007, 07:46
When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was about motion sickness on boat dives...sorry I have yet to feed any fish while diving but I now have some good ideas.

picxie
09-10-2007, 16:25
I don't agree with feeding fish 'people' food, especially processed food.

Most of the dive spots I go to are marine reserves so it's illegal to feed them anyway. However in the non-reserves I will occasionally open up a kina and feed the fish. I am in two minds over this - I don't actually open them up (I can't kill things) but my buddy will, and he'll hand it over to me. Double standards I know, but when you are down there with fish swarming all around wanting a feed, it is just an amazing feeling. I do feel sorry for the poor kina =( but it's not very often we do it.

diverdad
09-10-2007, 20:18
i have used canned corn.

Don't feed fish corn, it has no nutritional value to them, they apparently don't have the enzyme's needed to break down the starches to get anything out of the food. It just fills them up and they don't eat anything good for them.

your right about the corn. and i have not used it for sometime and i will not do so any more.

i think i have found out why they go after Korey so much. I did some research on it. it seems that Korey was a large mouth bass in a previous life and the perch are seeking revenge on him:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:.

pnevai
09-10-2007, 20:29
In the Ocean what is actually healthy for fish to eat is in other words called CHUM........... Think about it.

Kidder
09-10-2007, 20:40
I'm lazy and did not read the rest of the thread past this quote because this is exactly what I like to feed the groupers----legal or not.:smilie40:

You feed the groupers popcorn? Really? I would have never have guessed. What made you bring popcorn down (presuming I understood you correctly)?

tremtech
09-24-2007, 17:07
I feed grouper and snapper 48 inches of steel spear and then I eat them . I might spray some cheez on the tip next time though

No Misses
09-24-2007, 18:25
OK, kiddies gather 'round. There was once a couple of spearfishermen, who decided that they should take some glass minnows down to the bottom and try to chum up some grouper and snapper. Well, the chum worked like a charm. No sooner did they get to the bottom and break out the chum, and a LARGE hammerhead decided that they smelled delicious. Now, not being as dumb, as the chum in thier bc's might suggest, they decided to thumb the dive. Ol' mister gray suit followed them all the way back to the boat. Who's hunting who?

Kidder
09-24-2007, 20:28
OK, kiddies gather 'round. There was once a couple of spearfishermen, who decided that they should take some glass minnows down to the bottom and try to chum up some grouper and snapper. Well, the chum worked like a charm. No sooner did they get to the bottom and break out the chum, and a LARGE hammerhead decided that they smelled delicious. Now, not being as dumb, as the chum in thier bc's might suggest, they decided to thumb the dive. Ol' mister gray suit followed them all the way back to the boat. Who's hunting who?

Feeding sharks would be bad. Chumming seems just as bad. At least fresh water fish can't eat you or a piece of you. I would have second thoughts about salt water spear fishing for just this reason.

scuba-taylor
09-24-2007, 20:55
You can also buy catfish food in like this slab type thing form or something but when i fish it works so it may work for you. you can probably find it at any store with a fishing section.:smiley20:

mdwestgrl
09-25-2007, 21:21
Have used frozen peas and have heard that hot dogs go over huge for the Blue Gill and Spoonbill's.